HTC HD2 branding/ debranding ?

drdecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I decided to move my N97 on and get one of these. Should be here soon (I hope). I was wondering what people's experience of branding and debranding this or similar HTCs is. I've not had an HTC before so this is new territory for me.

Nokias are fairly standard I know, eg use NSS, change product code etc (this is what I did to debrand the N97 on Vodafone).

Is there an equivalent for HTC HD2/ Windows Mobile 6.5, so I can do software updates via HTC and not be beholden to a mobile company ?

• I'm getting the handset from T-mobile (dirt cheap tariff and easy way to get the handset - but will be using an O2 SIM, can sort the SIM lock myself) - but how much, if any, tinkering have T-mobile done to the firmware?
  • Do I even need to worry about debranding?
  • Anyone got one from T-mobile here to relate to?
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I have de-branded my o2 HD2 it was easy and free and now is much happier de-b@sterdised

I'll rephrase my question...

How do I flash the firmware of a branded HTC HD2, to make it the same as if I'd bought it SIM free from Amazon or Play etc etc?

I am aware of XDA Dev site, but was hoping someone could help me here? :)

Hi

I decided to move my N97 on and get one of these. Should be here soon (I hope). I was wondering what people's experience of branding and debranding this or similar HTCs is. I've not had an HTC before so this is new territory for me.

Nokias are fairly standard I know, eg use NSS, change product code etc (this is what I did to debrand the N97 on Vodafone).

Is there an equivalent for HTC HD2/ Windows Mobile 6.5, so I can do software updates via HTC and not be beholden to a mobile company ?

• I'm getting the handset from T-mobile (dirt cheap tariff and easy way to get the handset - but will be using an O2 SIM, can sort the SIM lock myself) - but how much, if any, tinkering have T-mobile done to the firmware?
  • Do I even need to worry about debranding?
  • Anyone got one from T-mobile here to relate to?
Thanks! :)

I have done this. Very easy and works a treat. :thumbsup:

I have done it also, cost was 22 euros for the sim unlock and the goldcard was free. The tutorial on XDa-Devs is very good and very easy to follow. All creds to the guy who wrote it.
I just need to know if I need to use the goldcard again to flash to the newer released 1.48 WWE rom that is out now? I am not sure if I will be able to just go straight over the top of the 1.43 WWE stock that is now installed?

I have done it also, cost was 22 euros for the sim unlock and the goldcard was free. The tutorial on XDa-Devs is very good and very easy to follow. All creds to the guy who wrote it.
I just need to know if I need to use the goldcard again to flash to the newer released 1.48 WWE rom that is out now? I am not sure if I will be able to just go straight over the top of the 1.43 WWE stock that is now installed?

Have you formatted your memory card or anything since you first put the goldcard image on?

If not, I think you should be fine. :thumbsup:
Just try and see. If it doesn't work, it'll only take 5 mins to get it ready again.

Thanks for all the info! :)

Showing my ignornace, but is 'WWE' the UK / English version?

Once this is installed, can i just run software updates on the phone in the way you would on, for example, a Nokia, as new firmware is released??

thanks

Have you formatted your memory card or anything since you first put the goldcard image on?

If not, I think you should be fine. :thumbsup:
Just try and see. If it doesn't work, it'll only take 5 mins to get it ready again.

I have a 16GB in the phone that I use. To do the goldcard I used the 2GB that came with the phone but I think I backed the original contents up and copied them back to the card when I finished flashing :(
Can I still use the goldcard.img to recreate it? I still have the tools installed.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info! :)

Once this is installed, can i just run software updates on the phone in the way you would on, for example, a Nokia, as new firmware is released??

thanks

ok figured that WWE is world wide English version.
But can anyone answer my other question (as above)?
or do you need to keep flashing wit new ROMs as they come out?

ok figured that WWE is world wide English version.
But can anyone answer my other question (as above)?
or do you need to keep flashing wit new ROMs as they come out?

You always flash the new rom.

Cheers

Not sure if the question has been answered as I am wondering the samething.

Once this method as been used to allow install of a generic ROM on a branded device, will we be able to install any generic ROM here onwards?

I beleive that is the question being asked.

Using this method will not, in itself, enable you to perform further updates.

If you keep the Goldcard on the card, however, you will be fine.

Hopefully soon CID unlocking and Hardspl utilities will be released and then we will be be able to update to any Rom (official or otherwise) anytime we please.

Sorry to dust this off but I bought a HD2 today from T-Mobile, brand new sealed. Got a SIM unlock code and it took that straight away. However, it flat out will not register on o2 and I cannot make any calls.

I have already reflashed it to try and fix this but no luck. I have a link to a thread I just made up on XDA Devs here: NOOB - T-Mobile UK HD2 unlocked - no O2 connection.. - xda-developers

Ideas?

Cheers,

Nick :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom