HTC Desire & Push email

lufferov

Standard Member
I got my HTC Desire delivered this morning. Just trying to set-up my email but can't figure out the Push settings.

I've got a Sky email account configured with IMAP, how do I enable Push on this account? I can only see settings for making it check by frequency. My 2 year old iPhone does Push, please don't tell me the HTC can't even do this basic function!?

Anis

Standard Member
Go to settings, accounts & sync, imap account, schedule and then change to push.

Not sure if that will work as I am on exchange and I am given the push option. And are you sure iphone offers push for Imap? I don't think it does? I know exchange is push on iphone as is mobileme.

lufferov

Standard Member
If I go to "accounts and sync" it doesn't list any of my IMAP accounts. On the iPhone I have 4 email accounts set up, the "Fetch New Data" option is set to "Push" globally. Seems to have worked fine ever since I set it up. On the Desire Push doesn't even appear to be an option.

Pretty pathetic IMO! Setting up the phone to pull email at set intervals is going to cane the battery!

Gavin_Hall

The Desire can do "Push", but that is a function of the hosting email server, ie an Exchange server. So in your case, unless Sky offer a push email service, then I can't see how else you can retrieve email, other than by using the IMAP or POP3 "pull" method.

Were all of your accounts that were defined on your iPhone off of an Exchange server, or Sky email server.

Anis

Standard Member
Your imap account has to show up in accounts right? So it should be in Accounts & Sync settings. For example in my accounts & sync settings I have General Sync Settings, then Manage accounts which currently has exchange, Facebook for HTC Sense, Flickr, Google, Stocks, Twitter, Weather. You must have that right? Have you tried adding an account from the bottom of that page?

lufferov

Standard Member
The Desire can do "Push", but that is a function of the hosting email server, ie an Exchange server. So in your case, unless Sky offer a push email service, then I can't see how else you can retrieve email, other than by using the IMAP or POP3 "pull" method.

Were all of your accounts that were defined on your iPhone off of an Exchange server, or Sky email server.

On my iPhone I had/have Google mail, contacts and calendar set up with Exchange. Then I've got 2 other email accounts set up using IMAP that all seem to push, I never have to wait for email to appear. On the iPhone I just have the delivery method set to "Push" for all accounts.

No Exchange server for my Sky email.

lufferov

Standard Member
Your imap account has to show up in accounts right? So it should be in Accounts & Sync settings. For example in my accounts & sync settings I have General Sync Settings, then Manage accounts which currently has exchange, Facebook for HTC Sense, Flickr, Google, Stocks, Twitter, Weather. You must have that right? Have you tried adding an account from the bottom of that page?

No, it doesn't show up in accounts. I've looked, I've got:

Exhange ActiveSync
Flickr
Google
Stocks
Twitter
Weather

But none of my 3 IMAP mail accounts. If I go to "Add account" I only get options to add a Facebook account because the other already exist.

Gavin_Hall

On my iPhone I had/have Google mail, contacts and calendar set up with Exchange. Then I've got 2 other email accounts set up using IMAP that all seem to push, I never have to wait for email to appear. On the iPhone I just have the delivery method set to "Push" for all accounts.

No Exchange server for my Sky email.

Googling a bit seems to reveal that Sky email is really Gmail, but with a different front-end. Gmail does push email (by having a synch process that effectively emulates as an Exchange server!), so there should be no reason why the Desire can't use that.

lufferov

Standard Member
Googling a bit seems to reveal that Sky email is really Gmail, but with a different front-end. Gmail does push email (by having a synch process that effectively emulates as an Exchange server!), so there should be no reason why the Desire can't use that.

Yes, but the reason why it can't is because the Desire doesn't give an option to use it! There is no way of telling it to use Push, so frustrating.

I don't want to use the built in Gmail app either because I want all my Email in one place. If I don't use the Gmail app though you can't get that to Push either. It's utterly ridiculous!

Gavin_Hall

Yes, but the reason why it can't is because the Desire doesn't give an option to use it! There is no way of telling it to use Push, so frustrating.

I don't want to use the built in Gmail app either because I want all my Email in one place. If I don't use the Gmail app though you can't get that to Push either. It's utterly ridiculous!

I don't have a Desire, but shouldn't you be using the Exchange Activesync option? :confused:

But be aware of draining the battery this way!! http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=657065

Last edited:

lufferov

Standard Member
I don't have a Desire, but shouldn't you be using the Exchange Activesync option? :confused:
Nope, that won't work either because the Gmail and Sky service doesn't support ActiveSync and even if they did you'd only be able to have one of them enabled!

Gavin_Hall

Nope, that won't work either because the Gmail and Sky service doesn't support ActiveSync and even if they did you'd only be able to have one of them enabled!

But that *is* the push service!

lufferov

Standard Member
Think I'm going to have to give up, it worked fine on the iPhone, but it's not on the Desire. What's different?

On the iPhone I set up the delivery method for ALL my accounts to Push. Emails were delivered automatically. On the Desire that just isn't an option, so basically I'm screwed.

pistolpete1

Does this mean hotmail accounts will not work with this phone automatically?:confused:

I got my HTC Desire delivered this morning. Just trying to set-up my email but can't figure out the Push settings.

I've got a Sky email account configured with IMAP, how do I enable Push on this account? I can only see settings for making it check by frequency. My 2 year old iPhone does Push, please don't tell me the HTC can't even do this basic function!?
You can push email from sky, I sorted my friends desire last week for him.
Go into your sky account emails settings & enable pop. Then when setting up the desire email you have to put the same settings as if your were setting sky email up to be used with outlook express.

see link

Sky Email setup and settings

dr no

Does this mean hotmail accounts will not work with this phone automatically?:confused:

hotmail.com accounts work automatically. Just asks for email address and password. It isn't push email though. It just syncs as often as you want.

I think .co.uk accounts may need manual set up not sure.

pistolpete1

ok, thanks cos I'm about to 'do the deal'......:thumbsup:

ukpm

Standard Member
> Windows Live Mail - POP and HTTP access, no push
> Google Mail (Gmail) - POP, IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync (push email)
> Sky Email (Google Apps) - POP, IMPA, Exchange ActiveSync (for Calendar and Contacts only, no push email) Sky would need to pay extra to Google for this as well as enable the option globally within Google Apps Dashboard.

lufferov

Standard Member
You can push email from sky, I sorted my friends desire last week for him.

How on earth did you get POP3 email settings to PUSH? That's just not a feature of POP3! Are you sure you're not just talking about setting up the account to poll the server ever 5 minutes or something? I can't see how you'd achieve Push email using POP3, as far as I'm aware that's just not possible.

I've figured it out using the k-9 email app though. That will allow you to set up Sky mail or any IMAP account with Push. I've got polling turned off and email instantly appears so it must be working.

lufferov

Standard Member
Sky Email (Google Apps) - POP, IMPA, Exchange ActiveSync (for Calendar and Contacts only, no push email) Sky would need to pay extra to Google for this as well as enable the option globally within Google Apps Dashboard.

Push email works with IMAP on Sky.

ukpm

Standard Member
Push is not supported by the IMAP protocol. You would need P-IMAP, which Sky (Google) does not support. There must be another service collecting the messages via IMAP at a high frequency and then 'pushing' that to your handset. That's how Blackberry Email (hosted BES) works. Orange also offer a similar service called Orange Email, that goes out to all your email providers and then pushes the messages to you. Push in the middle, if you will!

lufferov

Standard Member
Push is not supported by the IMAP protocol. You would need P-IMAP, which Sky (Google) does not support. There must be another service collecting the messages via IMAP at a high frequency and then 'pushing' that to your handset. That's how Blackberry Email (hosted BES) works. Orange also offer a similar service called Orange Email, that goes out to all your email providers and then pushes the messages to you. Push in the middle, if you will!

I can't answer that, all I can tell you is my setting are:

Incoming server:

IMAP Server: imap.tools.sky.com
Security: SSL
Authentication: PLAIN
Port: 993

Outgoing server:

SMTP server: smtp.tools.sky.com
Security: SSL (if available)
Port: 465
Require sign-in: TRUE
Authentication: PLAIN

Folder poll check frequency: Never
Folders to check with poll: None
Folders to check with push: All

Pretty much the same setting for my Gmail account too. Don't know what to say... but it works!

ukpm

Standard Member
What's the mail client you're using?

I suppose the Sky Email could be supporting P-IMAP, although that's not their official position. I see the service is using a secure socket, certainly you wouldn't want to make push email available on a non-SSL connection. Interesting that they'd implement this, when Google already supports Exchange Direct Push.

lufferov

Standard Member
What's the mail client you're using?

I suppose the Sky Email could be supporting P-IMAP, although that's not their official position. I see the service is using a secure socket, certainly you wouldn't want to make push email available on a non-SSL connection. Interesting that they'd implement this, when Google already supports Exchange Direct Push.

I'm using K-9 available on the Marketplace. The built in Mail app on the Desire doesn't let you use Push for IMAP at all so it's useless.

I have my Gmail account set up using IMAP push as well FWIW. I wanted to use one app for all my email accounts for consistency.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022