HTC Desire HD to replace iPhone 4?

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
As you might have guessed from the topic I am thinking about trading in my iPhone 4 for the HTC Desire HD. I just wanted peoples opinions on if this is a wise idea and what the advantages are of the Desire HD over my good ol' iPhone?

Thanks in advance

macdaddy

Changed my 3gs last year for an HTC. Spent months trying to convince myself that is was better than my iPhone.

Biggest mistake I ever made!!

In the end I paid off the rest of the contract and switched to an iPhone 4

RobM

Distinguished Member
As you might have guessed from the topic I am thinking about trading in my iPhone 4 for the HTC Desire HD. I just wanted peoples opinions on if this is a wise idea and what the advantages are of the Desire HD over my good ol' iPhone?

Thanks in advance

What do you use the iPhone for now? What features, Apps and tech do you use the most or rely on frequently? Knowing that might help people answer your question with something useful other than calling one or the other crap without any detail whatsoever.

iOS and Android have their advantages and disadvantages but are both good overall. The one that's best for you depends on what you do the most.

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
I mainly use it for calls, texts, camera, notes, receiving emails and apps such as sky sports new, wrestling news, weather, currency converting, translating, banking and radio.

Last edited:

wiggleyleeds

Changed my 3gs last year for an HTC. Spent months trying to convince myself that is was better than my iPhone.

Biggest mistake I ever made!!

In the end I paid off the rest of the contract and switched to an iPhone 4

What HTC phone did you get?

If you bought one LAST YEAR such as the htc hero, its a very different experience to modern flagship android phones

RobM

Distinguished Member
I mainly use it for calls, texts, camera, notes, receiving emails and apps such as sky sports new, wrestling news, weather, currency converting, translating, banking and radio.

Both phones will do those things just as well, other than the fact I don't think there is an official Sky Sports News app.

I've just today made the same move, from iP4 to Android (again...), I've made a similar move a few times now. Two things you immediately notice are the fact that many of the Apps for Android still don't have the polish and quality feel as the iOS version and the screen on the DHD, while responsive, doesn't scroll and navigate as smoothly. It's the initial pickup that's not quite as good and you do notice it. Oh, the battery life on the iP4 is excellent too and I'm fairly confident the DHD wont match it.

Otherwise, it's tit-for-tat. I'll miss the iP4 screen quality and resolution, which is simply unmatched, but then the size of the DHD screen is excellent.

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way :)

chris

I've not used the IP4, but i have used the IP3GS and i find the DHD better than the iphone for normal use, Text and screen size.
There is about 1000th of a second between the scrolling of the two phones, but the speaker on the iphone is better.
Video deff look's better on the DHD because of the bigger screen.
If you are an apple fan boy and you need that 1000th of a second from your life back and you prefer a slightly smaller screen and dont mind spendin that much, then go for the IP4.
If you dont mind a smaller screen or slower phone, but need good sound from the speaker, then go for the nokia N8.
But if you dont mind a slightly slower phone with a crap speaker but a bigger screen, then go for the DHD.

Last edited:

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
The main reason I was going to swap phones was to get some cash for xmas as iPhone 4's seem to keep their value on ebay pretty well. This being said would it be an idea just to get the original HTC Desire and update it to froyo? Or is the HD alot better? Apologies for my n00bish questions.

chris

Keep your IP4 and look for something else to sell to give you money for X-mas.
Then again....dont sell anything and just get them something smaller.......
After all....money is tight these day's and X-mass is really for kid's, so if you dont need to buy for kid's, then stuff em......if you do need to buy for kid's, then part ex-ing the iphone wont bring you enough.

Strobe

I have the Desire HD, my bro has the iPhone4 and cracked glass/reception/flash absence issues aside the iPhone 4 is much the superior handset. Better screen, better sound quality (music playback etc), better battery life. I am beginning to love my DHD but use it mainly for email and internet which it excels at. The money I saved up front by not going for the iP4 will now probably go on a Touch to compensate!!

silent ninja

the screen on the DHD, while responsive, doesn't scroll and navigate as smoothly.

I've noticed this too, generally with all iPhones. I wonder why competitors cant match the fluidity and responsiveness of the screen, afterall they pretty much use the same technology. It's a minute but noticeable difference.

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
Keep your IP4 and look for something else to sell to give you money for X-mas.
Then again....dont sell anything and just get them something smaller.......
After all....money is tight these day's and X-mass is really for kid's, so if you dont need to buy for kid's, then stuff em......if you do need to buy for kid's, then part ex-ing the iphone wont bring you enough.

It's to buy xmas presents and also just to help live. Being jobless and having £500 of phone in my pocket just doesn't seem right at the mo when I could cash it in and get a cheaper model and spend the other cash on something like food, presents etc. I'm now thinking of just getting the original desire as it will run froyo and should be alot cheaper.

RobM

Distinguished Member
The original Desire would be a better bet in this case. But actually, I'd be looking at the Orange San Francisco instead. You should be able to find and unlock that for much less than even the original Desire, yet you're not losing much in doing so.

The user experience wont be as good, but you'll have a very good phone running a very good version of Android and a big wedge of cash in your back pocket :)

I dare say that if you don't like the experience of the Orange SF, chances are you wont get on with Android generally. HTC branded handsets with Sense might change that a bit, but not significantly.

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
I think I'm going to go for the original Desire unless someone can tell me if there's any great factors that should sway me to the HD instead?

RobM

Distinguished Member
There are reasons why the HD is an improvement over the original, but nothing outstanding to make it a no-brainer. The Desire is a great handset.

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
There are reasons why the HD is an improvement over the original, but nothing outstanding to make it a no-brainer. The Desire is a great handset.

Many thanks for all your help. What exactly are the differences? I know there's the bigger screen and better camera but is that it?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Many thanks for all your help. What exactly are the differences? I know there's the bigger screen and better camera but is that it?

The chipset in the HD is newer and more capable, with better GPU performance. But very little on Android can really show off the differences at the moment, so it's not anything to get particularly excited about. Android 2.2 is quick regardless and there aren't that many games or apps available today that would show a massive difference, side-by-side.

Otherwise, higher resolution camera (little to no improvement in optical quality though), 720p video recording (not great quality though, IMO), 802.11n support, more RAM and Dolby audio support.

Both versions have the same resolution screen, but taking that resolution to a larger screen size means the clarity suffers a little on the HD. It's still a cracking screen though and for some things (games and video for instance) the size makes a positive difference regardless of this.

The Desire HD is definitely the better phone, no doubt about it. But my advice for your situation would be to get the original Desire second hand, as you'll end up with a fantastic handset and money in your pocket. The Desire HD, even second hand, fetches well over £425 easily so you wont end up with much, if anything, after selling your iPhone 4.

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
Once again many thanks you have made my mind up for definite now. Original desire here I come. Just got to see if t-mobile will give me a new sim card with the same number as I cut up my last one to fit in the iPhone.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Forgot to add one last question. When I do get the phone is it worth me rooting it?

For the sake of it, no. But if you hit limitations in normal use and think, 'I wish I could do...' then yes. I certainly wouldn't be scared of doing it :)

Same as Jailbreaking the iPhone really... doing it for the sake of it seems daft, but doing it to get something you really want makes sense.

KieranE83UK

Standard Member
I like my apps so don't want to run out of space in a matter of minutes of having the phone and I understand this helps with the issue?

RobM

Distinguished Member
Android 2.2 introduced the ability to install Apps to the SD card natively, if that is supported by the App itself, so it's less of a problem.

But you're absolutely right that one of the benefits of rooting is the 'Apps to SD' feature that allows all Apps to be installed on your SD card.

It's a good example of what I mentioned above... live with the Desire in stock form and see how you get on. Make the most of the Apps that do support SD installation and if you still run out of room, root :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series