HTC Desire Discussion Thread Part IV

fizl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread as the other is almost to its limit. Continuing from here

Shaz

MarkyPancake said:
Thanks DJSigma. This method won't work for me, because I'm on HTC 2.3, which removed the hold volume down on boot up bootloader.

Going from HTC 2.3 has some extra steps and I haven't felt comfortable going through the process yet.
Ah right. I just read the extra steps and it does add some complexity. I still think it's worth it though!

I had 22 apps installed on my phone, but some of them were quite large. I moved every app that I could to the microSD card, but I was left with about 15MB of internal memory. I'd regularly get the "low on memory" message popping up as the internal memory fluctuated around the 13-15MB mark. Sometimes I was unable to update an app without first uninstalling another app to make room. It was a pain.

Now that I'm using CyanogenMod I have a 2GB ext4 partition on my microSD card. App data automatically gets installed there and the caches are there too. I have about 50 apps installed now (including the 22 from when I was using the stock ROM), which takes up about 217MB on the microSD card, and I have 99MB free on the phone's internal memory. Space is no longer an issue, and that was my major gripe when using the stock ROM.

The extra functionality is great too and I'm already over losing HTC Sense. Here's a few pics with some personal info edited out: -

Lock screen: -

dpDvf.png

Main home screen: -

B2ZXG.png

Rotation works in all directions on every screen now: -

aoXGM.png

Another home screen: -

QGePf.png

One more: -

lliko.png

Last edited:
Anyone have any issues with the latest HTC OTA update?

Mrs Scrapbook runs it and keeps getting a red exclamation point when it trys to install

Anybody having problems getting a 3G data connection over the last couple of days.
Something has changed in settings. I could go into settings-Wireless & Networks-and just click on connect to data network and away i'd go.

What ever has changed over the last couple of days it now says 'use phone for data connection when WiFi unavailable'

It's not allowing me to switch on 3G

Desire tried to install new update but i've stopped that as i've not enough internal memory.

any ideas.

Mrs Scrapbook runs it and keeps getting a red exclamation point when it trys to install

Yep same here it says it's a System Enhancement 20.01 MB. Searched several forums and it seems that a lot of people are having the same issue.

Wish HTC would tell you what the updates are so you can decide if its worth bothering with.

Decided to ring HTC support who said it is a known issue with some phones and is being dealt with.

He did add that is not a major update and that it is probably to do with a copyright issue with Apple about the way phone numbers are used in text messages.

My phone has told me that this system enhancement is available again so gave it a go.
It failed again but this time it told me that was due to a lack of memory, it needs at least 25Mb, rather than just locking up.

So after deleting a couple of apps it installed OK. Haven't noticed any major changes so far other than the Twitter for HTC Sense now logs in OK and I have got Twitter back in my Friendstream.

But be warned it did delete all my text messages, not a major disaster for me luckily, so back 'em up if you need to keep them.

Last edited:
Had my Desire for nearly two years now and thinking of a change. Thing is,I have no idea what device would be a step up.

sigur said:
Had my Desire for nearly two years now and thinking of a change. Thing is,I have no idea what device would be a step up.
HTC Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S 2 or Galaxy Nexus.

My phone has told me that this system enhancement is available again so gave it a go.
It failed again but this time it told me that was due to a lack of memory, it needs at least 25Mb, rather than just locking up.

So after deleting a couple of apps it installed OK. Haven't noticed any major changes so far other than the Twitter for HTC Sense now logs in OK and I have got Twitter back in my Friendstream.

But be warned it did delete all my text messages, not a major disaster for me luckily, so back 'em up if you need to keep them.

TJNewton said:

Nice one, thanks

Not sure if it's the same OTA update but I downloaded one today and it seems to have worked ok and the phone seems slightly quicker for it. It was a system enhancement with a size around 16MB or 18MB if I remember right.

I'm now running Android Version 2.2.2 and 2.29.110.6. I suppose I should mention I am on T-Mobile too.

It looks like my Desire has come to its end. :(

It was a solid phone until I installed HTC's 2.3 update and then it suffered infrequent, random reboots. Recently I've been having problems activating mobile data. The mobile data radio would turn on, but there wouldn't be any activity. A reboot would fix it, but today I rebooted it and now it's stuck in a reboot loop, which has never happened before. I've tried removing the SIM, SD Card, and leaving the battery out for hours all to no avail. It gets to the HTC screen where it writes "quietly brilliant" and then reboots. Repeat ad infinitum.

Because it has got HTC's 2.3 update on it, it no longer has a bootloader you can access by holding down a button on start-up, so I have no way of doing a factory reset to see if that fixes it.

Not happy. :mad:

Mine has been playing up too. They have a 2 year warranty, so sending it off before that expires at end of this month.

Mine has been playing up too. They have a 2 year warranty, so sending it off before that expires at end of this month.

I've got just over one month of my two year tie-in with 3 left on my contract. I was lucky enough to get my Desire from them before 3 branded them.

Do I take up the warranty claim with 3 or HTC?

I've already sent them a message via their website, but I've just discovered holding the Volume - button and then powering on does grant access to the boot menu that allows me to "clear storage," so I will backup my SD Card data tomorrow and might try a hard reset.

Yesterday I got round to upgrading my desire to Gingerbread - stock HTC rom from their website.

This of course doesn't have google play, but "market" instead. When I opened it for the first time the T+Cs page said google play, but I still only have market. Similarly if I go in to the help within the app that shows as google play.

Am I right in thinking I just need to wait for an OTA update to upgrade it to google play ? Or can I force it in some way ? Requesting phone updates does nothing.

Thanks

Yesterday I got round to upgrading my desire to Gingerbread - stock HTC rom from their website.

This of course doesn't have google play, but "market" instead. When I opened it for the first time the T+Cs page said google play, but I still only have market. Similarly if I go in to the help within the app that shows as google play.

Am I right in thinking I just need to wait for an OTA update to upgrade it to google play ? Or can I force it in some way ? Requesting phone updates does nothing.

Thanks

This will usually update within a few hours of confirming T+C's, i.e the icon will change and the rest will look the same :laugh:

My HTC Gingerbread Desire never updated to the new look Market and remained as the old green curve version until I installed the new version's APK myself. The new version then silently updated like normal and prompted the Google Play T&Cs when that was released.

It looks like Gingerbread is not considered by Google to be an official release so private apps will not update:

Google Groups

Hi, The Internal Memory on my Desire is full to bursting and now I can't update my Apps that I can't get over to the SD Card.

Does anyone know who can Root this (I'm on 2.3) and if it could handle ICS 4.0 ?

I would rather pay someone or a shop type place £20 or something to root and upgrade to get me through the next 4 months of contract than buy a new phone I think.

Ta

Don't know about the rooting but I have seen ICS ROMs for the phone, XDA Developers will be your answer.

Yeah I have looked through it but a bit too much for me at the moment

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom