HT500 link @ Bristol

IanW

Prominent Member
Reaction score
WOW, OH MY GOD!

What can you possibly say about this beast? This machine is simply awesome. :devil:

Machine was demoed with HDTV from DVHS (interesting subject material SIM2 :smashin: ) £25k is a lot of money, I wonder when this will be down to around £3k? :blush: I am over the moon with my Domino 20 and love it to bits, when it comes time to replace it (many, many moons from now!) I hope that these 3 chippers are available for joe public.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the feedback. I too have seen the HT500 and you cannot beat it for stunning 3D. it sounds like Alan Roser and SIM2 had a very good show. Did you manage to see the LINK of Xtra at all?

Best Wishes,

Paul H

Also saw the HT500, absolutley stunning! Sim were also demonstrating the Domino 20, no xtra, although there were a pair of them stacked in the Wilson room (conservatory). Even with two stacked (didn't know you could stack DLP) the brightness wasn't sufficient for use in the conservatory. Last year I thought the Sim HT300 plus was the best at the show, they did it again this year with the HT500. Have to say, the Marantz S3 demo was disappointing, some idiot who thinks playing a film at ear bleeding levels is the way to go.:rolleyes:

Best quote at the show was from a Sony rep when asked if they were demo'ing projectors, 'we not showing any this year, we've done it every year so we thought we'd do something different'. Words fail me, perhaps next year they can refrain from doing something 'different'!

Paul only saw the 300 Xtra in the Kef demo room. Very good, but I really could not justify the extra cost on the Domino 20. This is not saying that the 300 is not better, it is just that I personally could not justify the extra money. I think that SIM2 have done blindingly well with the Domino 20, but then I would say that. :rolleyes: :blush:

Ian.

i spent about 30 mins in the sim2 room with both the HT500 and the sim domino 20, and OH MY GOD. The HT500 is simply staggering stuff. I am not sure what to say. The colours, the detail, the edges all seemed perfect. It was also damn quiet, i wouldn't know if it was on or not. The material shown, sea biscuit or something, was also not the best material to show but it really did look fab...
Then saw the Sim Domino 20...and have to say again WOW. This is the pj i want, i thought it to be superb. Ok not as good as the HT500 but actually came close, also i could not see any rainbows what-so-ever. Seems weird as it was terrible on the infocus 5700, rainbows very visible and gave me a head ache after 10 mins. Also pq was nothing compared to the sim's.
So the sim domino 20 to be round october time, better start saving.
I think it was the pioneer 868 via hdmi and the ilink they have and i think the denon a11 was the other dvd player
fred

Paul only saw the 300 Xtra in the Kef demo room.

Interesting, the KEF rep told me it was the HT300 plus connected via HDMI, didn't register at the time that the HT300 plus isn't fitted with HDMI, also I noticed 3 cables going into the back of the unit, surely not HDMI?

Anyway, it had a good picture, which is the main thing.

Gary,

The projector in the Kef room was the HT300 Link using a 20mtr fibre optic cable to connect the projector to the processor. A poineer 868 was used in the demo via HDMI.

Regards

Alan Roser
Managing Director
SIM2 UK Ltd

Out of all the displays I saw, the Domino 20 impressed me the most, it did have some minor diagonal noise but given the working environment I'll give Alan a break on that one ;) I thought the Pioneer 868's looked quite iffy in HDMI mode, lots of artefacts.

Originally posted by AD Roser
Gary,

The projector in the Kef room was the HT300 Link using a 20mtr fibre optic cable to connect the projector to the processor. A poineer 868 was used in the demo via HDMI.

Regards

Alan Roser
Managing Director
SIM2 UK Ltd

Hi Alan

Thanks for the clarification, and the time your spent at the show explaining the difference between the Xtra and the Link.

Interestingly I'm quite sensitive to rainbows but was not aware of the problem on the HT300 Link which I believe has a slower colour wheel or less segments than the Marantz S3 which I did notice rainbows on.

Originally posted by Jeff
Out of all the displays I saw, the Domino 20 impressed me the most, it did have some minor diagonal noise but given the working environment I'll give Alan a break on that one ;) I thought the Pioneer 868's looked quite iffy in HDMI mode, lots of artefacts.

The 868 has a comprehensive range of video settings one of which they call PureCinema which itself has 4 different settings which one has to experiment with depending on the source material.

Jeff

That's probably the problem in a nut shell, digital should be left alone. Just decode the stuff, scale it and pass it on. Why do they think they need to mess around with the picture?

AD Roser
I have a question about your 3-chip projector. I have seen it in the specifications that it can display at 48Hz. Why are you not allowing 24Hz since that in theory should give a better result. I mean 24Hz is what DLP Cinema uses. Could this product be improved to support 24Hz with a software update?
At least one other comperititor has this, DPI Mercury HD.

Ohlson,

I believe that at this moment in time there is no source material in the Video/Digital domain that replays at 24Hz.

Processing 60hz/50hz down to 24hz will not in my opinion be of any significant benefit, having said that I have yet to witness 24frame video other than what one sees in commercial digital cinema presentations.

Regards

Alan Roser
Managing Director
SIM2 UK Ltd

AD Roser
Perhaps the reason why 24Hz might not be meaningful is that both dvd and hdtv are only 8bit color and subsampled. The increase in bit depth gained with displaying at 24Hz is perhaps nil since there is more than enough bit depth when displaying at 48Hz. Can you even imagine what your product would look like displaying a full color sampled 10bit source?

yes, pretty well what you may experience in current Digital Cinemas!

Regards

Alan Roser

PS. I mean colour depth and not resolution ;)

With the exception of course that your projector offers a superior contrast ratio.:cool:

We should be getting our 3 chip HT500 Link demonstration unit on Friday 2nd April if all goes well. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom