HT300+ NSTC contrast problem

dc007

Established Member
Reaction score
Have any other HT300+ owners experienced the following problem, most evident when trying to set up the projector using a THX test pattern disc (such as the one found on Cape Fear Reg1) ?

With NSTC sourced material, the contrast pulses up and down of its own accord every 30 seconds or so. Very evident in dark scenes, and of course blatant using the test disc.

This is REALLY bugging me. Have I got a faulty machine ? Faulty software ? PAL material plays fine...

I get the same thing with my HT300 when using a progressive feed. It's noticeable on THX Optimiser and on some dark scenes on a few DVDs.

I have read that it's macrovision related. The only cure I've found is to switch to interlaced feed on the problem disks. Fortunately it's only a problem on a small number of DVDs as I prefer using the deinterlacer in my Toshiba 9500 which I think does a slightly better job than the Faroudja in the HT300.

Aha !

So it IS a general fault, and not specific to me !

Thats very interesting. SIM have just had my projector in their workshop for 16 days, supposedly fixing it. Musical Images stuck it back on the ceiling on Friday and if anything it was WORSE !

SIM themselves are in theory coming to check it in situ soon. If it can't be fixed, I don't want the projector.

I'll report back as and when....

dc007,

Which software version are you using ?
And what's your DVD source ? And what are your settings ?
If this were a general fault, I think I would have seen it by now.
I have had no such experience with any 300, 300 plus, 300Xtra or 300 Link that I have demonstrated or sold.
You are most welcome to bring your machine down for a check and a comparison with a 300Xtra with the latest software.

RTFM,

At work so I can't check, but pj was just updated with latest download, its component progressive from a Denon DV11 (previously from a Pioneer 737). Which settings do you mean ? The sharp/bright/contrast etc has been adjusted using a THX optimiser disc - but it's been kinda tricky to do this correctly due to the contrast pulsing problem...

dc007,

Is this the problem that you are experiencing?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114428

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114431&highlight=ht300

For the record, I have an HT300HD running Software Version 2.21, which I believe to be the latest release. DVD player is Toshiba SD9500.

Edit;

This problem has been discussed on AVSForum (USA). It has been suggested that it is a hardware issue and that there is a fix. I haven’t bothered to investigate further as it is only apparent on a few DVDs and I just switch to interlaced on those but am intending to ask for the mod to be carried out when my machine needs a bulb change.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=211736&highlight=fluctuation

chips,

Those threads do seem to be the exact same problem, yes !

Have just had a call from SIM and they are over on the 15th April to witness it 'in situ'.

I'm sure there's a way around all of this... but I don't have the knowledge/skills to do it personally - thats why I paid big wedge for an install, and thats why I want it sorted !!

Originally posted by dc007
Have just had a call from SIM and they are over on the 15th April to witness it 'in situ'.

That's good news. Let us know how you get on.

I'd better see if I can get mine done too before my warranty expires, if there is indeed a mod to fix this problem.

UPDATE

Well, Mr Rosler from SIM was over last night and witnessed the problem first-hand. It was still very evident even when linking his own Denon A11, thus ruling the player out of the equation.

He's carted it back off to the factory, hopefully for a cure. If not, here's one punter who will be looking for a refund.... !

I must say, hats off to SIM's 'aftercare'... so far !

Incidentally, he also thought the PJ was running a little noisy, so fingers crossed that might be improved too :p

Is it fixed? If so, what was the problem?

Allegedly, its now fixed - in fact, Musical Images are coming over this evening to re-install.... so I'll know for sure within the next few hours.

I believe it need one circuit board or another replaced, something to do with the macrovision... the technical side is all a bit of a blur to me, but I know Alan reads these boards so maybe he could explain... ?

Anyway, hopefully a final update from me tomorrow :)

If not, it'll be money back time :rolleyes: :(

All fixed and fully tested with the THX test patterns and the A11, image solid as a rock! Sorry it took a couple of attempts to solve the problem :oops:

A bit surprised you haven't received it back yet, since we sent it back to MI the very next day :(

We made a little progress in reducing the accoustic noise as well.

Please let me know how you get on?

Kind Regards

Alan Roser
Managing Director
SIM2 UK Ltd

Hi Alan !

Yes, I've been a little disappointed with Musical images' rsponse times too.... And guess what - they blew me out last night too :mad:

Got the call at 5.20 to say they couldn't make the 5.30 appointment, and to reschedule for Thursday.

More than a little cheesed off, as I'd cancelled a work thing in order to be there last night....

So, will now report back Friday....:rolleyes:

Have been away a few days, but will be putting the machine through its paces at the w/e....

Will get back on Monday :)

Things went HORRIBLY bandy over the weekend. :mad:

:censored: picture started looking like the special effects from Dr Who, whatever the source. :mad:

I've had enough. :mad:

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having difficulties with this unit, I am in discussion with Musical Images to solve this problem for you.

Regards

Alan

I've got to be honest Alan, my faith in SIM2 products and reliability has been rattled by all this. I've got a 30 grand home cinema and I've watched two movies in 6 weeks...

I fully understand and appreciate your position, perhaps you would be kind enough to contact me via my office email at [email protected] with your phone details and I'm sure we can come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Kind Regards

Alan Roser
Managing Director
SIM2 UK Ltd

Hi dc007

Did you manage to get a satisfactory conclusion to your problems? You haven't posted for a while and I was wondering did they fix your projector or replace it? Or did you have to insist on a refund? If so what are you considering next?

Which DVD player were you using? I was getting the same pulsing problem and my Meridian 598DP was blamed for a while. The pulsing occured in progressive mode with NTSC Macrovision encoded discs such as 'Kill Bill' and 'School Of Rock'. Once you've used progressive going back to interlaced is such a backwards step.

Keep us informed.

Safdir

I was also using video filters (3) between the Meridian 598DP component inputs and the 300+. This did get rid of some other very annoying problems (bending of top of picture) but not the 'pulsing'.

I have actually had a major upgrade. The Meridian 598DP has had an SDI mod fitted and is running through a Lumagen Vision PRO scaler to a 300Xtra via DVI. The picture quality is stunning! I've been too busy re watching all my favourite films to tinker with the set up to find out which stage of the upgrade has been the most worthwhile. It all just works perfectly - thanks to Gordon Fraser.

Saf

Thanks Saf,

The sync stripper Video Filter is talking about is different from the filters we had to use on the component outputs of the Meridian to stop the banding. He's talking about removal of macrovision I believe.

Saf bought a VisionProHDP scaler to allow an all digital pathway from his Meridian with SDI to his new Xtra300 PJ. Got to say it was looking pretty good when I left. Next stage is ISF calibration in a few weeks followed by firmware update to make scaler picture output even better.

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom