1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT200DM unstable image

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Brian Kendig, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been having a problem with my HT200DM since I got it three years ago: the picture often seems to "lose sync" for a frame or two; the top of the frame is pushed downwards and a black-and-white striped pattern appears at the top of the screen instead.

This happens whenever there's a sudden change from a low-intensity image to a high-intensity image, like when I'm watching a science fiction movie and there are lots of laser blasts through otherwise dark space. It doesn't matter whether the signal is coming in over component video or S-Video. (I'm in North America, so it's an NTSC signal.) The sudden picture flicker is jarring and detracts significantly from the viewing experience.

I noticed that if I set the "Video Mode" from "Normal" to "VCR" it cuts the occurence of this problem WAY down. But I don't know if I should be setting it to VCR - the manual doesn't say what VCR mode is or does, and I don't know whether it's going to degrade the picture quality.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this, or know what causes it or how to fix it?

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Brian, it's fine to use the VCR setting if it helps with your problem.
    Have you tried using the "AUTO" button on the remote ? This should relock the signal and lose the lines at the top of the screen.
    You may want to use the "POSITION" setting in the menu as well. With a test disc such as Avia you can make sure your image is centered up and that you are not missing any of the picture.
    Have you tried another DVD player ? (Yours may be putting out a higher than usual signal voltage causing the picture to go unstable.)

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your quick reply!

The VCR mode helps, but doesn't make the problem go away completely. What does VCR mode do, specifically? Does it have any negative effects on the picture quality?

I haven't tried using the AUTO button on the remote, but I don't think that would help - the sync problem only happens for one or two frames whenever there's a sudden dark-to-light transition, then the picture is fine again. And the picture is centered (I've checked it with Video Essentials), but the sync problem suddenly bumps it downwards by maybe ten percent or more for a moment.

I thought about the possibility that maybe my video source is putting out too much voltage - but this happens with two different sources: my Sony Playstation 2 connected via component inputs, and my Denon receiver connected via S-Video (through which I use my TiVo and my VCR and other components).

I connected my computer (through the receiver, over S-Video) and had it display a "movie" of alternating white/black/white/black screens. This freaked out my HT200DM projector - the image was highly unstable, flickering with the black/white bars at the top of the screen - I'm figuring that was the NTSC header information or something, and the projector didn't know where to start the frame.

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Brian,

The VCR mode inserts a filter that improves the stability of images from VCRs but can also improve other sources. It's a case of "suck it and see".

I have not come across this particular issue before. Have you tried connecting the DVD player direct to the projector ?

I would only recommend connecting a PC via the SVGA input on the Sim2 as the S-Video out on most graphics cards is dire.

Jeff :rtfm:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    This issue was noted with Iscan Pro's used with HT200's etc a few years ago. There was a mod for the Pro and I think perhaps for the HT as well to help resolve this. Perhaps a call to SIM2 might be worthwhile.

Gordon

6. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank y'all for the tips! I had a look at www.sim2usa.com, and it turns out this same problem has affected other people as well. I emailed their support department.