1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT200DM, I saw one./ it.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Just quick little mention that yesterday Chris Frost kindly popped in to let us see the prototype HT200DM. I'd called Chris to ask when one would be available as my boss had seen it at CEDIA UK and was pretty impressed.

Chris was going to be up yesterday to meet a colleague and then he was going to go and see some commercial clients. His meeting was cancelled but he still took the time to come up a day early and bring us the HT200 for a quick look. So thanks.

I should point out that we've never stocked the HT200 unit. One of the main reasons, in fact THE main reason was the rainbow effect. I am very susceptible to it as are Ian and Alan who work with me. On the occasions we had one in the shop either the husband, or the partner would notice it too. This precluded us from specifying it in any installations as we were always a bit wary that the clients family might see it as well. I know there are plenty of folk who don't see it but we do and that was our decision so please all the HT200 owners don't have a go at me. The original should be on folks dem list if you're looking for a sub £6,000 unit anyway.

So, what about the HT200DM. Well, I think that all you need to know is that we ordered one. OK perhaps I should say more. I didn't see the rainbow effect at all. I put on my torture test discs and I couldn't see anything distracting. This was a BETA prototype unit which is still being worked on and developed. To that end I can't comment much on overall picture quality. I was much more concerned with the physical design and whether the rainbow and other issues we had were addressed. They all appear to have been. SIM2 have already shown they have the ability to address the scaling issues with the original HT200 so I'm pretty sure that when it appears near the end of July it'll all be working well. Once we get a real one I'll post more.

It will be at the Event standing up for DLP, all being well.

Now, I need to find a D'Ila and a decent LCD…….

Gordon

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    That is good news!, how about a Sanyo PLV-60 for the LCD? Also I was thinking of bringing Kryton to the event, what do you think?

Jeff

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Jeff,

Personally I'd love to see Kryton. Things are starting to scare me though now I've realised just what I've let myself in for...

The PLV60 is unlikely to be making an appearance. More likely will be PLV30 and a Sony HT1*HT. With the amount of folk wanting to come, the limited numbers able to fit in the large room and the amount of comparisons we're going to try and get through it's not going to be possible to do very specific dems. Just wait and see what is on offer, I promise that no-one's going to get a chance like this for......oh at least another year
    ;)

On Monday I hope to speak with the last link in the chain in all this. Soon as he's confirmed I'll get some things we need I'll post a specific date and some more teasing info...

All the best,

Gordon

4. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I also have seen the HT200DM and was impressed, I am very sensitive to the rainbow effect but could not see any signs of it on this unit.
    The demo unit will be with me friday june 22nd to evaluate more, I feel it will be a great Home cinema unit, and will also have 1 demoing soon.