1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dvdmods, May 20, 2001.

1. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got myself a HT200 over the weekend and im not that happy with the unit.
    I was using a Sony and thought it was time to upgrade,so i now have the HT all set up but i just dont think the picture is as good.
    I have light spillage all over the place,i have a fixed screen and grey walls and you can see all this light around the screen which really is no good for home cinema.
    The sony does not spill any light at all.
    Even if i paint the walls black you will still see this grey light,i have just paid 6K and to see it like this im a bit gutted !
    I have just had Titanic on and keep seeing flashing colours,anything thats white looks far too bright,even with the brightness right down,as for football the lines dont look the best.Im using a good SVHS lead,but i do seem to get a better picture from my ondigital just on the video in.
    I just hope there is something im doing wrong and i sure would like to hear from others with this unit and how they have it set up and whats the best thing to do about the light spillage ?
    Many Thanks
    Rob

2. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dunno about spilage but i suffer it on my plus dlp. As for the colour flicker its a bugger and is the reason im saving for an upgrade, but im now feeding it with a HCPC, ps2, and dc all via vga and it reduces the flicker to almost nothing

Mike

3. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info,but at 6K there should be no problems,i didnt know there was a problem with light spillage,i just thought all projectors were like the Sony with no spillage.
    I guess i should have looked at one first,but as i live miles from anywhere and cant drive i just ordered it going on the reviews what i have read.
    I just cant get used to all the light around the picture,i read a review someplace how good this unit was,how much better than the Sony,i really cant see how,the only thing i like about it are the blacks,but i will put up with the greys and no light spillage anyday.
    I just hope i find a answer how to make this setup look like it cost as much as it did,i really dont want to paint the walls black,so any ideas would be well sweet right about now.
    Many Thanks
    Rob

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dvdmods !!

I think most (if not all) dlp`s exhibit "halo"(light spillage) - and it is a little distracting !!.

You will probably notice 2 levels of light intensity - one which corresponds to the native 4:3 panel , and another which extends about 6" past this.If you play around a little, you can eliminate the outer band by placing a "blocker " around the lens(doesn`t look pretty though!) - the panel light I am hoping will be removed for me when my Panamorph arrives - your choice on this one, but if you can afford it, I would recomend it - see previous threads for other benefits.

Football has always looked awful to me on a large screen - HT200 is no exception.

I think over time you will discover you have a Very good projector - albeit with "different" pros and cons to LCD .

Also check you have the latest software - version 1.16 has just been released I think.This is easily downloadable from the website.

The argument on the HT200 is always the price - and £6/- is a LOT of money.I think as long as you are not affected by the "rainbow effect", once you have sorted your light spill problem, you will love it.Remember though, it is better than most projectors,worse than some, and "different" to many !!

Hope this helps.

6. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks agian for the info,i just have no idea what to do as i really thought it would be better than it is.I used to have the old SonyVPL400QM which was great,i know i wont get my cash back and i they dont sell the new Sony,so i might just phone round and see if there is a dealer that will swap a new Sony for my HT which is 2 days old !
    For the extra 2K i could have got a nice motorised screen and a good night out on the town.I have a fixed screen,i was thinking if i had a motorised screen say a foot or so away from the wall do you think the light spillage will still be as bad.
    The projector is on 1.5 i will have a look for 1.6
    I dont think i could live with a few bits round the lens,it would be nice if there was something that could just clip on,ajust the 4 sides and still look good.
    Once again thanks for the info,i will stick with it for this week.
    Rob

7. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant find 1.16 anywhere to download,should it be on the Sim2 page ?
    Thanks
    Rob

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I am gutted for you mate. :(

Spending six grand should be a wonderful-mind blowing experience.

I hate it when you spend a lot of money on something only to find some glaring omissions.

Ie tv's with wonky pictures, dvd players that don't want to play some dvds!etc.

I agree with you about how good the sonys are. I have the VW10HT and think that the pictures are fan-bloody-tastic. I have just two niggles. Non perfect blacks (fixed with a grey screen) and trouble getting widescreen on my pc, but hopefully thats just a firmware patch away. Because the sony is 16.9 all the luminens is being used so the picture is very bright. Where as a 4.3 panel cuts off the top and bottom (on widescreen films) therefore losing luminens etc.

So what do you do next?.

I've read somewhere on the AVS forum about cutting out the Halo-ing effect, do a search there.

As for the rainbow effect.
    Try using differrent inputs to see which reduces it the most. As suggested above using a HTPC is supposed to help. Again the firmware patch may help.

If i was you i would ring your dealer.
    Explain your dissapointment.
    Ask for a refund or a credit note at least.
    There are four new projectors on the horison.
    The Sim HT200DM six segment colour wheel!
    The Sanyoplv60 (16.9)
    The Sony VW11HT (16.9)
    The Toshiba MT7 (16.9)

The new sim "DM" is supposed to get rid of the rainbow effect, ask him if you could exchange it for that one etc.

Let us know how you get on.

PS tell us who the dealer is!.

Paul...

9. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the unit from Sevenoaks,i had no idea a new model was about to come out,nice of them to tell me !
    Im pretty sure they would not swap it as nobody will want the older model.But if anybody does read this from Sevenoaks i sure would like to swap it for the new HT200DM when its out and pay the difference.
    We just had it fired up for a hour and can see the rainbow effect on whatever we feed it with and we can all see it too, thought it was just like 5% of us that can see it !
    I just painted a boarder round the screen which helps with the spillage.
    I did want to go for the sony but i found so many posts about dust and dead pixels, my Sony VW400Q never had any of these problems.
    It was a great bit of kit,just had to have the sound up a bit to hide the fan as it sounds like a hoover !
    I like the pics of your setup,i guess its time i did a few, i have just added a full size R2D2 and Stormtrooper to give the room that little bit of something else.
    I will keep going with it,i cant see how i will get to like it,if i could do something about the rainbow effect i think i could put up with it.
    Many Thanks info.
    Rob

10. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rob, youve fed it from a PC?

11. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No,i spent all weekend with a drill and saw trying to feed the wires under 8" chipboard,i really dont want to go through all that again !
    So are you saying you feed everything into a PC and then back to the HT ?
    What effect does this have ?
    Does the iscan have any effect on the rainbow effect ?
    Many Thanks
    Rob

12. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob, I'm also gutted for you. have you tried contacting OWL direct? Must be worth a shot. Also, I know Chris & Alan of OWL both frequent this BB, maybe they can offer some advice. At the end of the day though Rob, you made a massive mistake in not going to see the HT200 before buying. No matter what the effort needed, £6000 is too big an investment to make on other peoples views.
    I wish you luck in getting it sorted out.

Arthur.

13. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvdmods - if you dont ask- you dont get !!
    If you bought it mail/phone - I think by law you are allowed 7 days to change your mind (recent EU LAW-not sure, but check it out)- so give them a call - hell, if they get picky, explain you want the upgrade to the new model, not a refund.

No one should be stuck with something they don`t like in this situation, I`m sure Sevenoaks will be accomadating.Once you see Rainbow, you`ll always see it - I never see it, and no one who has seen my system has seen it either (guess we`re the lucky ones)

- for £6/- , its worth a try.

Best of luck.

14. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called the guys at Sevenoaks and they say i can take it back and go for the new model which has no rainbow effect.
    I have to say i didnt think they would do this,but as the HT200DM is not out yet i will be without a projector and nobody seems to know how much the HT200DM will cost,any idea anybody ?
    The wife will give birth if she thought i was spending more cash!
    I have done some work on my screen area and now have no light spillage,so once i get the HT200DM i will be happy again !
    But i have to say that Sevenoaks are top guys for taking this unit back and wanting to keep a customer happy.
    But i still think i should of been told about the rainbow effect and the new HT200DM which is just about to come out.
    Thanks again for all the info.
    Rob

15. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great news Rob :) (though it's going to cost more money :( )

16. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    made up for you mate !!

You are right in what you say, but in my experience, you will have vastly more knowledge about things than many sales people,just by surfing these boards.

From what I`ve heard, the new model should be "more than the 200, and less than the 250"
    - let us know your thoughts when you take delivery (let things die down a little with the wife - then look at those anamorphic lens !!)

17. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just on a side note, using a pc for dvd removes most of the rainbow effect, Chris Frost explained that it was to do with the refresh rate, 72hz is 3 times...

Good Luck!
    Mike

PS I only found threads about rainbow effects after i got a projector ;)

18. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    RESULT!!!!!!

OK. you may have to spend more, but think about the "wasted £6000".

I had trouble with my Tosh MT1z, which i had for six months.
    I contacted "Sound and Vision" and told them about it.
    To my amazement they agreed to a new unit!.
    I enquired as to if it was possible to have a differrent brand, to which they agreed!.

I think with dealers you have to give them a chance, as there "are" some good people around.

I publicly thanked S&V, and i think you have just thanked Sevenoaks in your above post.

By the way i believe the "200DM" is not a replacement but will sell along side your model as the next model up.

If possible try to see the new "200DM" first!.

Paul :)

19. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Paul,

I think its about time you added some new photos to your gallery, particularly as you now have the Sony! Lets see some of the baby in action. I am still waiting ....zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

By the way, what do you think about the throw range on the sony? This is the only thing that is preventing the new 11ht from beimg high on my list of possibles.

Regards

The Spaniard :confused:

20. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input,didnt think i would get this many posts !
    The unit is all boxed up and ready to go back,Chris at Sevenoaks told me that OWL would not take this unit back,so i feel a bit bad that he is stuck with a silver/blue unit which im sure will be hard to sell with this new unit on the way.
    But all other kit i buy i will now buy from these guys.
    He seems to think it will be around 6 weeks and another £500,so thats not so bad.
    I just dont know what to do on Moday with all the Starwars movies on one after another ! Will have to blow the dust off the TV.
    I will have to take up another hobbie for 6 weeks.
    Thanks agian
    Rob

21. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a note that Owl have the HT200, HT200DM and HT250 all running on their booth at Cedia in Brighton for those going down for the 'public' day tomorrow.

They are also showing the 800HD CRT projector, Barco have the CineMax (the new 9" stunner), Meridian are using a Sony 10HT, there's a Christie 3 chip DLP and a Marquee CRT, See Hear have the Runco single chip DLP, and there are all sorts of other units around.

I hope this is useful to some, at least!

Oasis

22. carol harvey

carol harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This ht200 is very dissapointing,i had a demo at musical images in hounslow and would liken its performance to the sony lcd projector-slightly better black colours though.But the price!!!! six thousand pounds? i certainly cannot understand the accolades this unit has received.what is even worse is that no sooner does everyone buy this and a new release is announced!
    I think this is a case of hype over substance?

23. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HT went back today,i just hope the HT200DM will be ok,as long as i cant see the rainbow effect im sure it will be a nice bit of kit.
    I think Sim2 got their specs wrong when they said only 20% can see the rainbow effect,of the 6 poeple who came to look at my HT200 all could see it.
    Anyway thanks again for the input on this post,i have posted a few pics and i will continue to use this board as there is no better way than fo find out about the stuff that matters on a bit of kit.
    Many Thnaks
    Rob

Vhttp://uk.photos.yahoo.com/dvdmods

24. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Dvdmods:- Nice pics! you don't know where i can get a life size model of Britney spears do you?. (LOL!)... ;)

The Spaniard:- The Sonys throw is shorter than the sim and the Tosh ie the picture was way to big in the same place as the Tosh. I had to move the ceiling mount two feet nearer to the screen with the zoom full "in". It won't be long until your "ideal" projector is out PLV60/VW11HT!. Don't forget let us know!.

PS i have a Toshiba MT1z ceiling mount for sale (£100. cost £200+). Anybody in need, who wishes to ceiling mount this great projector email me....Paul

25. Marky UK

Marky UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great,thanks for that info,i just hope we will get a release date soon and the price.
    Thanks
    Rob

27. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    FYI the Sim HT200DM is Due out in July :) This is according to OWL Video ( www.owl-video.co.uk )who demo'd it on Thursday at the CEDIA UK Expo www.cedia.org/uk/expo/
    Public Day. This was in conjunction with the iScan pro and MI 2 clip. Needless to say NO RAINBOW EFFECT!! The combination was superb. :)

As a CRT Projector owner I was not impressed with the LCD or DLP implementations until now.

DLP has certaingly come of age!!

28. carol harvey

carol harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its interesting that the ht200 upgrade will retail for about 6,000-and though the opinion of this in the avs thread was good,it was thought to be overpriced,with one comment that Seleco were charging the consumer an extra premium to correct the deficiences of the original ht200!..The people with the ht200 must be gutted though?..i wonder what their opinion is of Seleco?

29. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth, on my original threads on the HT200 back in Oct/Nov last year, I said I thought it would be obsolete within 6 months.I still bought it , and still love it.

Sure the time thing begs a question, and if my old sparring partner Charles "charlie" Charles was still around, I`m sure he would be vocal on the subject.

For those not susceptible to rainbow, I don`t see what the big deal is -ok, you get full resolution on R1 dvd , but you still cant fully resolve R2 dvd - I would still need my anamorphic lens for that !!(that will give me potentially another 126 lines,against the extra 30with the new projector - no brainer).

Interested in other peoples views though . ;)

30. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are you saying that the HT200 can't do anamorphic without an extra lens? For how much £ may I ask?