1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT200 - the mutts nuts !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dc007, Jan 22, 2001.

1. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The boys from Owl installed my HT200 on Friday. I am blown away with the quality of the image - even tv pictures from ntl cable are clear and bright. Rainbow effect, my ar$e ! Can't see it. Blacks are superb, and the colours - oh, the colours ! Got a slight hiccup with prog scan at the moment (see ps forum), but quite frankly my jaw is still on the floor from the basic component feed from my pioneer 737.

The installation was very professionally handled, and its a very neat finish. The projector is simplicity itself to use, with very clear instruction menus.

Only negative I have - the panel is naturally 4:3, so you get a bit or overspill of light when using a 16:9 screen - this'll be pretty much resolved with some black felt placed around the base of the screen.

Sure, its quite expensive - but I'm so pleased.

2. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey dc !!

Enjoy - it`s a great product.As you may have read , I have had one for the last month, and it is Mr versatility.Have you thought about the Panamorph anamorphic lens ??. Okay, its more expense, but it will allow you use the entire 4:3 panel when showing 16:9 material (an increase in vertical resolution and brightness of some 33%).Those who have tested the Beta version raved about it with this projector - I think the picture is fantastic without the lens, so I can`t wait to see the results with it !!.

I am on the pre buy for the lens which is due to ship the end of the month - I`ll hopefully get it mid-Feb.I`ll post the results here.

Welcome aboard !!

3. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think the panamorph will be the next upgrade... it would be nice to get the whole panel in 16:9, with no overspill of light. How have you set up to cope with this ?

Are you using a prog scan dvd player ? Do you have any problems as mentioned in the PS forum ?

All in all, though - what a picture !

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dc,

Obviously, until the `morph arrives,I dont know if eveything will work exactly to plan, but in my particular case, I have had my Loft converted into a Home theatre.This means that the screen wall is only 1.55m tall before it slopes in at a 45 degree angle.I have built my own 16:9 screen (7ft wide) using Vutech 1.5 gain screen material stretched over a solid piece of 18mm mdf cut to size. I have used bevelled 60mm wide skirting, covered in flocked 100% cotton black material to frame the screen.

The light spill is hardly noticeable as the wall is "sloping " at that point,but I am hoping that the `morph will solve the problem period.As the whole 800x600 panel will be used,and the image "shrunk" by the lens, I hope that all light transmitted through the lens will be shrunk - anyway time will tell.

I am currently using an interlaced player (pioneer 626) to feed the beast - and you are right it is gorgeous !.However, I am waiting on the current new crop of players from the US to give some direction on what to buy Progressive -wise. It would appear we(they ) have new players lined up using the sil503 chip and the sage/faroudja chips(the new phillips ,using the sage, is reported to have a rrp of $499 !!).

After reading up on the "home theater spot" forum , there appear to be some issues with the Genesis chip set which is used in many current players, so I`ll wait for a month or so and see what the reviews on these new machines are like.It may well be I`ll have to import a REGION 1 machine if the UK players dont follow suit pricewise. I hope I dont have to.

I was priviliged enough to be given a demo of the HT200 by Alan Roser down at the Owl offices, and he fed it both interlaced and progressive via a Toshiba region 1 player- and the pro-scan picture was spot on.In fact he showed me a CRT at one end of the room, and the HT200 at the other end, and I thought the colours on the Ht200 were much better (but what do I know !).

In short, a Pro scan is on its way, but it may be denon or philips or toshiba or....

I don`t want this to sound too much of an advert for Owl, but I must say, the most helpful,knowledgeable, enthusiastic guys it has been my pleasure to meet.Sure you spend £6k on the projector, but I know if I have ANY problems, they are a phone call away.Peace of mind - worth a lot these days.

Did you try the "fix" alan suggested for your pscan problem ? did it work ?

By the way - from your profile, it would appear we are in the same line of business...and I used to work with someone with the same name as you !!....Did you ever work for Hill Samuel ???.

As we are both in London, maybe we should hook up for a beer !!

5. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Seems like you are on to me, Tiberious...! I did indeed work for HS some 12 years or so back. Reveal yourself ! Send me an email...

Not tried the fix yet - am not back at home until the w/e.

Now, then... best get back to work... doh !

6. av curious

av curious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberious,could you tell me how you fixed the screen material to the mdf,stuck, stapled?and how `bout the fixing the board to the wall? I`m an electric screen man myself(or soon will be)but i offered to help out a friend in need.

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    av curious

The Vutech screen material has velcro stitched in to the edges, and comes with "stickyback" velcro to stick on the mdf.Very easy - just needs a little care when tensioning, velcro did "unstick a couple of times when I was stretching the fabric out.

The mdf board was bolted to the wall timbers.The room was built with a 3ft "anti room" behind the screen wall, to allow me to run the cables for the speakers,sub etc without them getting in the way - so it is easy to unbolt the screen from the rear if I need to. This was important, because I didn`t want to have to demolish the wall to remove the screen material when fixed.

Hope this helps.