Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HT200 Software upgrades

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tiberious, Feb 21, 2001.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, everyone knows my views on the HT200, BUT .....the projector has "easily upgradeable software which can be downloaded from the website".

Sounds great, and indeed there have been 2 updates in the last couple of weeks, the latest of which addresses the problem of the component inputs (amongst others) and is , I think, a significant release.

My problem is this.It would appear that ,in their wisdom, SIM have decided to password protect access to the upgrades,restricting access to dealers only !!.So every time you want to update the software, you have to take it in to your dealer ?

I can`t believe this is what they really want.It certainly isn`t what I want.What if your dealer is not local, or you buy mail order ??

Say it ain`t so Joe !!

Alan, if you`re reading this, could you explain the thinking behind this - or just plain tell me I`m wrong !(which I`d be real happy about !)

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Yep, its been protected sometime in the past 24 hours. I had a look at the page yesterday whilst searching for something else and it wasn't protected then!
    Paul

3. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberious

Have just received the following response to my question posted to the Sim2 Bulletin Board:

"Hello Philip, since no significant change has been made to the present software, there are no upgrades available on the web site. As soon as one becomes available, it will be put on line immediately, and an information note will be sent to everyone registered in the mailing list. Sincerely, Sabrina"

I'm not sure if Sabrina is being extremely helpful or perhaps a tad economical with the truth. Let's hope it's the former!

Phil

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I'm sure it was 1.14 that was there when I looked yesterday although 1.15 beta is now apparently kicking around.
    Paul

5. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. The US site had the 1.15 version software on it yesterday, but is password protected today, apparently at the request of our Italian friends.The update does the following -

"I downloaded the new 1.15 software last night and did the upgrade to
    my HT200. The detail is significantly improved and there were no more
    crawlies. I also discovered that I get the best picture when I do the
    following:
    1. Make sure the DVD player is set to 16X9
    2. Turn off any deanamorphizing circuitry on the DVD player (if it
    has it)
    3. Reset the projector to "factory default"
    4. Lower "Sharpness" to 2
    5. Select "Anamorphic" on HT200
    6. While program is playing, hit "auto". The screen will go blue for
    a few seconds and when the picture pops back up it will look
    great. This step apparently optimizes the scaler to the source.
    I watched the final battle scene from Patriot and was blown away by the picture. Anyone who has evaluated the HT200 without the benefit of this set up proceedure and/or the new 1.15 software will not have been exposed to the true capabilities of this projector".

It also adds a total of 3 custom aspect ratios.

Sounds quite significant to me !. I hate being treated like a fool (even if I am one !)

We shall see ...

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Tiberious,
    If 1.15 is still beta then it makes sense not to publicly distribute it - however, I agree that it is odd to release it publicly and then shut the doors in customers faces!

The Seleco was much touted as being software upgardable to the customer so I'd presume that the password protection is temporary - otherwise I think there will be a lot of very unhappy people out there!
    Paul

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

Re Software Upgrades

As far as Owl is concerned and my conversations with SIM2 there are no restrictions on the availability of new software to owners of the HT200.

1.15 version has only officially been released today! 21/02/01 If you have a beta version on your projector then please update as soon as possible. You will know if you have a beta version of the software because of the word ‘Debug’ will be after the version number

The changes are as follows:

User aspect ratio adjustment has been increased to three
    Improved colour tracking on interlaced sources. Particularly noticeable on Toy Story 1 & 2.
    If the lamp fails to strike (for whatever reason) the projector will make three attempts to ignite the lamp – if this still fails then the projector used to sit with a flashing green LED until you powered off and reset. Now the projector will re-attempt again after ten seconds without the need to power on/off the projector.

If anybody needs any further information or would like the latest software release on the HT200 emailed to you please feel free to contact me at alan@owl-video.co.uk and I will be more than happy to oblige.

Regards

Alan Roser
    Technical Director
    Owl Video Systems Ltd

8. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alan, you`re a diamond!!.

Got to admit - they had me going for a minute there though !!

9. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    ..And people say crt`s are complicated!!!