1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT1100 or ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Clint C, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chaps

I'm on the brink of getting this baby but wondered how other similarly priced DLP pjs compare. As I didn't get to see the Sim display at the Bristol Show I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on other candidates.

What I want to be sure of is am I getting the best pj for the money? BTW the price limit is £3k.

Thanks in advance.

Clint.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're getting a good deal if you can pick up an 1100 for £3K. :eek: Cheapest I've seen it is around £3400 inc. VAT, unless you're importing of course. :)

3. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Clint,

If you can arrange the demo I guess you owe it to yourself to see the Domino 20. Its a little bit more expensive than the NEC but it has a good reputation around here. I havn't made the effort to do the comparison myself as the throw is too long for my room but with your 21ft room you should have no problems.

The other DLP contender cheaper than the HT1100 would be the Sharp Z200. If I remember correctly, you've already seen the 5700

One other you might consider would be the BenQ 8700. This has the advantage of a higher resolution 1280x720 HD2 DLP chip. Similar price to the NEC.

Allan

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I went for the Z200 because a couple of weeks ago 1100s were scarce. It's a nice machine, my first DLP though so I can't really compare it to anything else. I spent an hour or so with a 1000 last November and from what I can remember blacks were a bit better than the 200. Overall the Sharp is a nice machine with a similar throw to the D20 at approaching 1/2 the price, over the new HDMI-equipped Sim2s.

5. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry forgot to mention the background behind this to be found here .

KraGorn, the price was offered at the Bristol AV Show a couple of weeks back see the above link for details. Also are you saying that you would have gone for the HT1100 if it were available at the time?

Allan, thanks again for your help. I guess if the Sim is more money then it's ruled out... I'm trying to set a limit here, you know what it's like, just a little bit more and I can get this other one :D. I ruled out the Benq 8700 due to the review it received in this months Home Cinema Choice. It mentioned the word grain and that put me off.

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Clint.

6. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Forgot to mention... what's the "Wired LAN function" on the HT1100 about? What does it enable you to do?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Indeed, I actually ordered an 1100 from Nexnix but during a subsequent conversation they told me they had no stock and the NEC rep. couldn't say when they'd get some.

As it so happened I had dithered long and hard over the 1100 vs. Z200 decision in the first place, the 1100 was a bit more than I really wanted to spend but I knew the sort of picture it would give .. this is my first DLP and was bought to see just how badly the rainbows affect me, I tested a 1000 last November and at the time I found them too distracting.

So, since Nexnix were doing the Sharp at nigh on £1K less than the 1100 I decided on one of those, sight unseen but going on the advice the guy I was talking to gave me and from brief comments from other Z200 owners ... who seem rarer than NEC 1100s. :D I have to say I'm not disappointed, even though the Z200 isn't a 'black' as the 1100 it's a major step up from my Z2 and means I still have at least one upgrade left, ie. to a D30 when funds allow. :smoke:

I THINK, the LAN function allows remote calibration and control via LAN, in the same way many pjs for a long time have had RS232 ports.

8. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Clint,

Plug the HT1100 into your LAN and it becomes a mini web-server, allowing you to control the projector using a web-browser (such as Internet Explorer) on your PC. It will also emit e-mails to your mailbox when it's distressed. It's a corporate thing, you dont need it.

Allan