1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT1000 rainbow help needed....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hoerzers, Oct 27, 2003.

1. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I recently bought an HT1000 and...needless to say...the picture is fantastic. Unfortunately I suffer from rainsbows and, while I try not to focus on them, they refuse to go away :-| My wife can't see them at all but I see them during virtually ALL dark scenes and sometimes even the brighter parts of the movie.

Do you have any suggestions that would help reduce this....if not I fear I'll have to go back to LCD and there will soon be a near new, very reluctant HT1000 sale coming up :-(

TIA,
    Stefan

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try contacting the manufactuerer to see if they do another colour wheel - a faster speed wheel will do it for now, but see if they are planning on putting in the new RGBWB wheel and when?

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Oh, it is so easy to be wise with hindsight. And I do sympathise with you. Rainbows are a feature often only discovered AFTER purchase which is a pity. I doubt there is much that can be done with the existing projector - but certainly try the manufacturer to ensure that this is the case.

hoerzers - sorry you had to find this out the hard way.

However, to all prospective DLP buyers - here is a salutory lesson. You MUST try, thoroughly, before you buy.

4. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should say that I DID see a DLP projector and I did notice the rainbow but found it not too bad at the time....but it seems like it's getting worse and not better.

I noticed one thing though: The other day I had a few glasses of wine and watched a film and, while I was very tired, I did not seem to notice too many rainbows. Anyway, I don't intend to have half a bottle of wine every time I want to watch a film ;-)

Cheers,

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    There are a number of things you can try

1. Give a bit of time and see if you get 'accustomed' to them. Some people do.
    2. Try putting on a bit of ambient light in the room. This does sometime reduce the rainbows albeit at the expense of black level
    3. Try a filter such as an FLD or similar.

Good luck.

I have a Sharp 10k and notive them very occasionally. What I have found though is the more relaxed I am the less I see them (probably no more than once or twice during a full movie anyway). This would seem to support your wine theory :D

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I guess it's not that it is actually getting worse, but more that you are seeing the effect more clearly. Perhaps because, now you have one at home, you are watching more intently than you did when you were previewing and/or in different ambient conditions.

I also have a suspicion that one's eyes get 'faster' as one gets older. Certainly I have begun to notice refreshing artefacts (mainly, flicker on 50hz TVs) to a greater degree than I recall doing in my teens. I could never live with any DLP I have ever seen. I find them nauseating. I have to live with the (relatively) poorer blacks of LCD as a result.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    wonder if its a bloke thing :lesson:

From what I have read here and on the AVS forum, very few of our female partners see rainbows, my wife included. I even warned her about the rainbow phenomona as we have a DLP on loan, she thinks I am making it up! :rolleyes:

She simply does not see them!

I also wonder if its down to the fact that we all surf here and read other AV related media. This may have made us aware of the rainbow issues, similar to the vertical banding on an LCD that some may see more than others. I mean sometimes, dont we simply go fault hunting ?

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I would be more than happy to swap my fabulous Panasonic AE300 complete with a new power unit for your HT1000. I can even deliver it:D

Cap:smashin:

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    As my wife has said. "Not visible with human eyes, only geek eyes"!

9. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I did know about rainbows beforehand....and the concept. But I could see them instantly without looking for them...they found ME ;-) I have explained the conecpt to my wife and she just cannot see them...

Anyway, the blacks on the HT1000 are amazing and like Kramer said in his review: "given the overall performance of the HT1000, the odd splash of colour is permissible" ;-) Couldn't have said it any better myself. BTW, it seems(!) to be better when the projector is fed by a HTPC via DVI.

Time will tell....I guess ;-)

Cheers,
    Stefan

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    In my case, definitely no. I first saw (and was totally surprised and disappointed by) a DLP with its rainbows, long before I knew how domestic DLP projectors are made and work.

Of course, now I know what to look for, spotting it is much easier. But that first time (in a TCR store, in much less than ideal conditions) the effect leapt out at me from the screen, without my having had any previous experience or knowledge of the subject.

At 'The Event' I almost had to leave the demo room when the DLP was being shown - I was almost nauseated by it. And I wasn't alone.

My eyes are so 'fast' that I have also seen rainbows on 3-tube CRT projectors - some of the highest calibre and properly set up and driven by acknowledged experts using top-end equipment. Initially, those around me were skeptical, yet on this very forum a very small number of others have reported seeing exactly the same thing. So it clearly isn't my imagination.

There is no doubt that the DLP issue is now recognised and newer machines are appearing with ever faster refresh rates, and more colour segments. And the faster, the better, of course. It can only be a matter of time before 3-chip DLPs become a commercially viable prospect.

11. mistersoze

mistersoze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    €0.02:

I bought the wonderful 'lil Infocus X1 and *prayed* i wouldn't see the bows - sure enough on its inaugaration with Die another Day it was rainbow city :(

So I bought a Polarizing Filter from Jessops, 62mm i think.

Reduced rainbows by about 85% for *me*

Try it, it might work for you :)

Oh and the suggestion that ones eyes become accustomed to DLP is very true, if I use mine daily its the best thing since sliced bread but if I goto it a week after using my high quality TFT monitors and Rear projection TV I get uber critical....

Go with it for a while and try the polarizer.

Hope it works out bud,

Glen

12. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might give that a try. Now I'll just have to measure the thing to find out what size I need.....Did you get a linear or a circular polarising filter from them?

Cheers,
    Stefan

13. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The thread size on the HT1000 is 72mm. I happened to have 72mm UV and circular polarising filters from a camera lens and have tried these. The UV filter makes no difference whatsoever. The polarising filter does reduce the intensity of the rainbows, however, it also darkens the entire picture, to such an extent that in low lamp mode, iris closed, it is too dark, even in my light controlled room. Rotating the filter makes no difference either.

I think I may try one of these FLD filters, but I'm not holding my breath ;)

14. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried it with the iris open? Also, how does this affect the colors?

Thanks,
    Stefan

15. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Stefan

What I was trying to get across, is that I think the polariser just darkens the whole picture, including the rainbows, but does nothing to get rid of them. I would have thought that you could get the same effect by altering the brightness/lamp mode/iris etc.

It didn't affect the colours as far as I could see, but IMO it's not worth the expense. I will do some further experimentation and let you know how it goes.

Daryl

16. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thought I'd add my two pennies worth as I've had my HT1000 for nearly 3 months now and I've been having problems with rainbows.

I had demo'd a few DLP projectors and never noticed the rainbows, and I was trying all sorts to try and get effect! On about the third viewing of my HT1000 in my home I noticed it once, and then that was it - I was seeing them all over the place. I felt nausias (spelling?) a few times and I was gonna send it back. However I knew that for the money (£1999+VAT) I was never gonna get a picture quality with contrast on a non DLP projector. So I've perservered and this is what I've noticed:

1. The sharper the picture the more intense the effect is. For instance Extended LotRs Fellowship the effect was very noticeable, but watching Skysports, I haven't noticed it once?
    2. White text on black background is when the effect is at it's peak, or fire, candles,etc against a black background.
    3. The darker the room I'm watching in, the more the effect occurs. I often leave some light on, in the room.
    4. The effect seems to happen more on PAL discs rather than NTSC, but then that might be because of point 1.

What I will say is that, I agree with some of the other threads, if you actually get into the movie, rather than looking at the 'picture' you forget about it comepletly and you don't notice it. Its really strange, I can't explain it.

3 months down the line and I still love my projector, it still takes my breath away when you see panoramic views and action scenes. I cannot fault the picture, colour or contrast, it is simply stunning.

:smashin: