1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT1000 / MT8 comparison (Warning: includes screenshots).

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, May 30, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    In my quest for a new pj I have found myself this weekend with both a HT1000 and MT8 to play with :). Now, I will stress at this point that it is with regret I am not going for either of these pjs (MT8 rainbows have been giving me eyestrain and headaches and HT1000 still has visible rainbows to me which has distracted my viewing).

However, before they go back next week I just thought if there is anyone out there considering either or both of these units then I would be delighted to write a few words and post a few screenies over this weekend.

If anyone has any particular questions I may be able to answer while they are with me or wants any particular screenshots let me know and I will do my best to oblige. also, if anyone is near the cardiff area and wants to see them drop me a PM and I shall do my best to accommodate any viewings.

Thanks.

2. Pablo

Pablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes please! I'm looking for a replacement for my AE100, and was considering the HT1000 or one of the Screen Play models.

How bad are the rainbows on the NEC? I ask because I've not had any experience of DLP.

Thanks,

Paul.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Not really fair for me to answer that as everyone reacts to them in different ways. I found the MT8 much worse which is unusual as I think it has a faster colour wheel. With the HT1000 they are not overtly noticeable but every so often you think "What was that" and for me it spoils the experience as it distracts your attention from the film.

But, as I said some are more bothered by them than others and some people do not notice them at all. The HT1000 is a cracking pj delivering some stunning images (you'll see some later tomorrow or Sunday) and very quiet. Definitely try and see one if you can. It is definitely audition material :)

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, please! But then you knew that already ;-)

Pablo: pardon me for saying, but you'd be mad to buy DLP without viewing first. Don't take the risk that it does cause you a problem (though it might not). Try and get a home demo if possible, because from what I've learnt from Messiah, it seems that you need a reasonable bedding in period to fully ascertain whether or not the (potential) rainbows will be an issue for you or not.

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't forget that there are a lot of measures that can be taken to mitigate the effects of rainbows. Neutral density filters and grey screens reduce brightness and thus rainbows, and larger screens also reduce brightness for the same effect (though I'm sure I've heard some people say that larger screens actually increased the rainbows, but that seems the exception rather than the norm).

For me, rainbows can be reduced to almost inconsequential (the occasional flash on particularly difficult scenes) on my friend's Sharp M20X, which has a 3x RGBW colour wheel. I would expect the HT1000, with a 4x RGBRGB colour wheel, the rainbows would be invisible to me (as long as you take some steps as mentioned above). And I find 1x colour wheels to be absolutely unwatchable for rainbows.

Cheers,

Dunc

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    These may not mean that much (usual caveat re screenies) but in direct comparison to those in post below (MT8 Screenshots) you should get a view of how these compare.

Both projectors were out of the box (MT8 never needs much tweaking)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    These may not mean that much (usual caveat re screenies) but in direct comparison to those in post above(HT1000 Screenshots) you should get a view of how these compare.

Both projectors were out of the box (MT8 never needs much tweaking)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Ok, so how do these two pjs compare generally. Well, I think I have written enough about the HT1000 and others about the MT8 so I'll keep this brief.

The Pjs

Both projectors have an air of quality about them. The MT8 has vents on all 4 sides (in fact most of the case seems to be vents) and so there is more light spill. The HT1000 case is more enclosed although looks a bit odd with the lens poking out the front like a big beady eye.

Noise

When the HT1000 starts up you think "Oh no, I thought it was meant to be quiet" but fear not. Within a few seconds the fan noise recedes to the set level. In neither normal nor eco modes is the fan noise intrusive but in eco mode the fan noise drops considerably and is barely audible at about 5ft. There appears to be absolutely no colour wheel noise (high pitched whine) with the HT1000.

The MT8 on the other hand is a bit different. Not only is the fan noisier (and switching between lamp modes seems to have no effect on fan level). The first one I had on demo had a low(ish) fan noise but a very audible colour wheel whine, whereas the current one has almost no colour wheel whine but very audible fan noise. I found it distracting during the quieter scenes in movies. I would recommend auditioning the actual projector you will get to determine noise levels.

Remotes

The HT1000 remote is very very sensitive. Sometimes you don't think you have pressed a key but you have. I guess you'd get used to it over time but it is not that nice to use. It is also NOT backlit in any way so prepare for some fumbling in the dark ( :) )

The MT8 remote on the other hand looks very basic but is a joy to use. Fully backlit with every key having a symbol on the key which is illuminated and a text label above (which is not). A real winner.

Images

Check them out for yourself above. I would give the HT1000 the edge in colour rendition with more punch and vividness but this may be adjusted on the mT8 to match. Remember, both these were out the box.

Screendoor

There is none on either when viewing from about 6ft back. The MT8 screendoor (for me) is only visible within about 3 ft of the screen whereas the HT1000 is visible to about 6 ft but neither will give you a problem from normal viewing distances.

Menus

Both PJs have quite extensive menus with the HT1000 having the more diverse although more cumbersome to use. You'd definitely want to use a Pronto or similar with the HT1000 as the remote and menus would drive me nuts.

The MT8 menus are more like Windows menus with most options having check boxes for selection. The MT8 also gives the option to make the menus transparent so as not to miss vital parts of the movie.

Which would I choose?

Well, unfortunately for me I see rainbows quite extensively on both and the MT8 also gave me severe eyestrain and headaches when watching for any more than 40 minutes. Ensure you check out with an extensive viewing otherwise you could be feeling rather sick post purchase (both literally and financially!). I therefore cannot choose either.

However, DVD picture wise I could in no way recommend spending £1000 more on the MT8 because as you can see from above there is almost nothing to distinguish the two. However, if you intend watching via HTPC or getting into HD stuff then I think the extra £1000 would be money well spent as the HTPC image on the MT8 was much much better than that on the HT1000 (resolution is everything I guess).

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for posting this Messiah. Obviously, screen shots can't be taken too seriously, but to my eye there doesn't appear a lot in it. As you say, the HT1000 has excellent colour rendition. I think the MT8 is slightly more vivid (at least in the screen shots) but the HT looks more cinematic.

Nice write up.

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Messiah,

As you know, like you I have been looking at lots of PJs of late, finally settling on the rather splendid Panny AE300.

I managed to get a two hour demo of the Sharp Z91 and I was very very impressed by the image which to me, left LCD in the dust.
    However, during the demo I really felt my left eye straining which was odd, as the pain in the eye kicked in during the demo and the subsided when I was looking at some LCD units.

So, what is causing this ??

Regards,

Captain :smashin:

11. Pablo

Pablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the review and screen shots. As you say Mr Wilby, viewing of any potential purchase is essential - only problem is finding a good dealer in my local area (Leeds/Bradford).

Any recommendations for me on this? Travelling is no problem.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Most likely the rainbow effect, or cause of it. I too just love the image produced by DLP and yes it does leave LCD standing in certain respects but like you I ended up with eyestrain watching them. I reckon (but I'm no doctor :) ) that your eyes are working incredibly hard (subconciously) to differentiate the individual colours as produced by the colour wheel and although your brain is putting it all together as a single image your eye muscles are straining to make it all out and keep up (if you like).

Unfortunately, this is why I am stickig with LCD for the moment (next 12 months say) until the technology improves.

You may of course get used to it and the pain subside but I am not willing to take that chance. I value my eyesight too much :smashin:

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    BTW, I should have added that I don't think an 800x480 DLP will leave a 1280x720 LCD in the dust. That's like comparing apples with oranges :)