1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HT1000, connection ramblings, HCPC and other stuff

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fastedd, Aug 11, 2003.

1. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a NEC HT1000 last week (nexnix offers :smashin: ) and am over the moon with the picture, better than I imagined.

Anyway I've spent the last week trying every combination of source and inputs, tweaking settings, using video essentials etc and I thought it might be of use to the others who have just bought the HT1000.

First I tried the difference between component and S-video using my Tosh SD220 dvd player. Both pictures are good although the component picture is noticable sharper, and appears to have more contrast. Watching via S-video, the whites don's seem as bright and some of the detail in the dark scenes seems to disappear.

So I connected up my HCPC (radeon 9000, XP2000, 512Mb DDR) and messed about with the resolutions. Not suprisingly the best picture I got was when I matched to the PJs resolution of 1024x768.

Using Powerdvd I had to say that the picture quality was excelent. I'm not sure if it was much better than the component connected Tosh but it was definatley no worse. The only problem was the powerdvd picture movement was terible. Panning shots juddered and when the credits went up they were constantly juddering by tiny amounts. You wouldn't even notice them unless compared with the smooth flowing picture of the SD220.

I changed the refresh rate using powerstrip to all the different refresh rates, multiples of Pal etc but couldn't get any improvement.

Using the SD220 with RGB scart to the Scart input (adapter into VGA) on the HT1000 was terible, with the picture jumping and rolling. I imagine it may be a macrovision problem.

Anyway NTL into the scart input on the HT1000 gives a reasonable picture but again unstable. Selecting the NTL onscreen menu would make the picture jump.

NTL via keene rgb 2 svideo convertor to Ht1000. As good as it gets with NTL. Good enough to see the range of quallity between the different channels and program content. SKY and NTL is really a big comedown after DVD. Anyway, no scaling artifacts that I could see, very impressed really.

NTL svideo into the PB100 capture card and Dscaler, HCPC into VGA. I really couldn't tell the difference between the HCPC and the svideo straight into the PJ. No difference that I could see except similar to playing DVDs the Dscaler picture would have very small stutters, again most noticable during panning shots and credits rolling. Not as bad as Powerdvd but always slightly there.

(My) Conclusion,
    I think the built in deinterlacer in the HT1000 is excellent. The picture quality using my DVDplayer into the component inputs is the best picture I've seen. Powerdvd into the VGA gives as good a quality picture but its lack of smooth movement is annoying. I know I could probably tweak the HCPC to run a smoother picture but I honestly don't see the point as it only matches the picture from my tosh, it doesn't better it. Add in the user friendlyness of the stand alone player and it rules out the HCPC.

The same argument for the Dscaler/ Pb100 capture vs s-video straight in. The HCPC matches the picture but does'nt make much of an improvement, so again I don't see the point. I think the HCPC is going to be relegated to a games machine :)

The DVD picture is way better in component than s-video imo. This may be due to the format or it could be the PJ works with component better. Anyway, I've just ordered a RGB to component converter and will have a go with NTL into component.

I haven't done all this because i'm not happy with the HT1000, I thinks its a stunning picture, (you were right kramer :clap: ) its just that I like to fiddle :D

2. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'd the ht1000 and vpl hs-10 last week. the ht1000 doesn't get anywhere near the sony when driven from a HCPC (which is my main input source). on component input the NEC produces the better picture but I can live with this fact as the Sony is just amazing on DVI inputs. Probably due to the wide XGA resolution as opposed to the 4:3 on the nec. Horses for courses really.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I get a far better picture on my HT1000 via HTPC (vga or DVI) over component inputs, and that's from Toshiba Sd520e, Limit 9900SE, Cambridge Audio 57 and Panasonic S75, though the S75 produced a great picture I have to say. I'm using PowerDVD XP which gives a far more solid/fluid image over WinDVD (up to and including v4).

I don't see any stuttering from htpc either, and that's regardless of frequency - I've tried 72hz (NTSC), 75hz (PAL) and 60hz (both) and all seem surprisingly smooth.

Maybe I'm less susceptible to the jerkiness than some, but I always notice if I have my standalone player outputing the wrong frequency for DVDs such as 60hz for PAL movies.

Gary.