Question Ht-xt 1,2 or three!?

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by scoootyj, Feb 18, 2017.

1. scoootyj

scoootyj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there! Anyone out there have experience of these soundbases? Looking to pair one with a Sony TV, and love to get some feedback on the different generations of this product... And the performance differences between them, many thanks :)

2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    I have an XT1 paired with a Sony TV, and generally it works well. It gets a bit messy when connecting a Humax Freeview 1800T PVR, either to the the TV or soundbase -- there's clearly something odd with that hardware combo. somewhere, and there are plenty of reports about connectivity (in general) with Humax Freeview kit. The XT3 is a more sophisticated version of the XT1, with better audio delivery, and has the option of pairing things like bluetooth headphones, a feature that I really miss on the XT1.

Grumbles? A couple. Firstly, the captive mains cable on my XT1 is pretty short for some reason -- no idea why. Secondly, the glass top is an utter dust magnet. Thirdly, I don't like the idea that I have to cycle through the inputs to get to the source that I'm interested in, I'd much rather be able to directly select the input. Overall, my XT1 has been pretty stable and works well with my old Sony TV, with both ARC and CEC support. The XT3 is more expensive, and with hindsight I should have purchased one of those. The XT3 does have a lot more flexibility in terms of music streaming, configuration screen, bluetooth connectivity and so on, but there have been reports of lip-sync issues and stability problems.

No experience of the XT2 -- seems a bit of a fudge, with limited connectivity compared to the XT1/3.

HTH

Clem

3. scoootyj

scoootyj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh wow thank you so much for all of that info, really appreciate it mate! The x1 does certainly seem like very good value, and using Google audiocasts no Bluetooth isn't an issue, your experience is so useful cheers! I'll leave the x2 for sure and try to have a listen to the 1 and three :) thanks again :0)

4. ncollins

ncollins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The XT1 does have Bluetooth for streaming to it, don't use an iPad or iPhone though because they have poor audio quality Bluetooth as they'd prefer you to use 'Airplay' which the XT1 doesn't have. Streaming from an Android phone or tablet with Apt X is very good quality though.

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Absolute rubbish.

6. ncollins

ncollins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What do you mean 'absolute rubbish'? I own a Sony HTXT 1 , an IPad and an Apt X equipped smartphone. Apple don't support Apt X Bluetooth on their devices because they've decided to use 'Airplay' ( which is Wi Fi) for their lossless audio streaming. Apt X Bluetooth allows higher quality audio streaming than 'standard' Bluetooth and I can assure you that streaming a FLAC track via Bluetooth from an iPad to an HTXT1 sounds very poor whereas streaming the same track from an Apt X equipped device sound considerably better.

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Your statement of "an iPad or iPhone has poor audio quality Bluetooth".
    Not true, by no stretch of the imagination can it be called poor quality and you're doing those devices an unfair disservice with that statement.
    I've used SBC Bluetooth, Apt X and also Sony's proprietary LDAC codec on a variety of devices and the difference between them in truth is minimal.
    It's all subjective.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  8. ncollins

ncollins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any CD quality track streamed via standard Bluetooth( whether it be an Apple or not) will sound poorer in quality than if it was streamed via AirPlay or Apt X Bluetooth. It will sound like a standard MP3 compressed track because of the limitations of Bluetooth, you may not notice the difference but I and an awful lot of other people do!

For example there'd be little point someone forking out £20 a month for Tidal Hi Fi if they then streamed it from their iPhone/iPad via Bluetooth as they'd end up getting standard quality and thus could have saved a tenner a month!

As an extreme example, I have a Naim Unitiqute2 which has a rather flakey Tidal client so I decided to get round the problem by streaming Tidal via Bluetooth from my iPad.......it sounded awful. Much scratching of head and a few questions on the Naim forum revealed the limitations of the iPad Bluetooth implementation and unfortunately the Unitiqute2 doesn't support AirPlay.

I then tried streaming Tidal from my Samsung S6, which has Apt X, and the improvement in quality was amazing! You're right it's all subjective, I'm over 60 with cloth ears but can still easily distinguish between 128kps and lossless!

When I said 'poor quality ' I was referring to a high quality source being 'strangled' by a less than optimum streaming method into a high quality sound system. To be honest if you're going to stream CD quality music you're better off with wired Ethernet anyway.