HT-SS1000 & DAV-S880 speaker compatibility

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jamesmcgarva, Sep 13, 2007.

1. jamesmcgarva

jamesmcgarva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking to purchase a Sony HT-SF1000 with floor standing speakers to replace my old DAV S880 (it matches the DVD recorder i bought a few months back), but since they are no longer available i can't find one. There are a couple of the HT-SS1000 units around with the small speakers - will my old DAVs880 floor standing ones be compatible? Thanks.

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    The important things here are (probably in this order):

Impedence(Ohms)
    Sensitivity (dB/Watt)
    Power (Watts)

Impedence
    If you use speakers of an impedence much lower than the amp is designed for, the speakers will draw more current and will mean addtional work for the ampllifier to do and therefore additional heat and if too-badly mismatched will blow the amplifier.

Sensitivity
    How much sound you get for the power, how efficient the speakers are with the power they are given.
    No point getting running a set of speakers with low sensitivity from a high-powered system and then putting them on a low-powered system designed for speakers that draw much more sound per watt or you'll find very low listening volumes and having to crank the volume up much higher than you would normally.

Power (Wattage)
    Taking a set of 200watt (w) speakers and putting them on an amplifier that only drives 50w may result in having to crank the volume up, or not being able to cope with the sudden power reserves needed etc in the case of bangs during movies, bass drums etc and more.

So, in relation to your question, I've checked the product manusla for these 2 items.

Sony DAV-S880
    Subwoofer: 3 ohms impedence, sensitivity & power rating unknown
    Other Speakers: 3 ohms impedence, sensitivity & power rating unknown

Sony HT-SS1000
    Subwoofer: 1.3 ohms impedence, sensitivity & power rating unknown
    Other Speakers: 2.7 ohms impedence, sensitivity & power rating unknown

If I can locate the power ratings and sensitivity for the speakers it'd be very helpful, but I can tell you right now the Subwoofers cannot be swapped between systems without problems.

Taking the Subwoofer from the DAV-S880 and putting it on the HT-SS1000 will likely mean extremely low volume subwoofer and it won't draw enough current from the amp. Taking the Subwoofer from the HT-SS1000 if you wanted to and putting on the DAV-S880 would result in an overheating
    DAV-S880 so no joy there.

WIth the mains speakers, running 3 ohm speakers on a system designed for 2.7 I'd say should be no problem at all. Would generate a fraction more of an easy load for the HT-SS1000 at the sacrifice of a tiny bit more volume needing to be applied to get same power through them.

Wattage and sensitivity are not likely to be a big issue, but if the power ratings (rms) and sensitivity (dB/W) figures can be found out it's certainly be worth checking them over.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

3. jamesmcgarva

jamesmcgarva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Dan - this helps a lot.

I will use the sub and centre from the SS1000 anyway - it was just the front and rear speakers that i wanted to use from my old S880 since they look much nicer (it all comes down to aesthetics where my wife is concerned!). Sounds like this shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
    James

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Agreed, using the mains speakers I think would most likely be fine.:thumbsup:

Dan.

5. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Why not buy a HT-SF1100 which is a current model?