HT Room - layout confusion

skn8881

Novice Member
Hi,

I am renovating my house and setting up one room as a HT cum study room.
I currently own :
===========================
Monitor Audio RX6 floor standers
RXC Center speaker
Denon - 2700XH Receiver

Plan to buy Epson 9400

Plan to setup a 5.1.2 in this room along with a projector and a screen.

Option 1: screen along the shorter wall next to the door
Option 2 : screen along the longer wall

The confusion is around the layout for where the screen should be. A couple of AV store experts I have spoken to have mentioned option 1 as the preferred option due to the viewing distance being atleast 12 feet and room for speakers to sound well. That is my designer's option as well. In this option we can probably have the 100 inch screen. if we put 100 inch screen, its approx 8 feet wide + 2 floor standers which take approx 10 feet. That leaves just 1 more foot.
The compromises according to me in this option are
1. The subwoofer cannot be placed besides the floorstanders, it will have to be placed somewhere along the wall closer to the listener
2. The door cannot open fully. it has to open outside or have sliding door
3. the study table will be very close to the couch (left/right of the couch)

I prefer option 2 where the screen is along the longer wall and the viewing distance is approx 10 feet. In this option probably have 92 inch screen. Also the seating, study table etc all come with comfy placements. I have sat at a similar distance from my floorstanders before and it has been a good experience viewing movies and listening to music.
compromise for option 2:
1. screen cannot be more than 92 (due to the throw distance of the projector)

But in the option 2, with viewing distance approx 9.5 to 10 feet, 92 inch screen and the 5.1.2 will be a much more immersive experience than sitting 12 feet away from 100 inch.

What are your opinions guys? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• home theatre option 1.png
    home theatre option 1.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 16
  • home theatre option 2.png
    home theatre option 2.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 16

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
There's nothing wrong with being 10' from the screen, but that's the least of your issues.

I'd do what I could to make option 1 work. Have the door (or is it doors) opening out. Or even move the door (I already had 2 doors to my room, but I didn't like where they are, so I'm blocking them up and have added a third).

I'd then move the sofa off of the back wall, away from the rear speakers. I guess I'd do more than you probably want to, so perhaps we should take a step back and look at your requirements.

How long do you intend to keep the house? How often do you think you'll use the cinema? What budget do you have? etc.

skn8881

Novice Member
Thanks for replying. Budget is good, not unlimited but good. This house we just bought, would be here for atleast 10 yrs. we will use the cinema atleast on weekends, gatherings etc.

If kept the couch along the longer wall, idea was to get bipole dipole speakers and have them on the wall couple of feet above listening position

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thanks for replying. Budget is good, not unlimited but good. This house we just bought, would be here for atleast 10 yrs. we will use the cinema atleast on weekends, gatherings etc.
10 years is a good amount of time. As well as the gear, the budget obviously affects what you can do with the room, and putting it all back if you need to sell. Gatherings is an interesting thing: how many people do you generally expect to be watching a film? If it's a gathering, then how is one sofa going to be enough?

If kept the couch along the longer wall, idea was to get bipole dipole speakers and have them on the wall couple of feet above listening position
Well bi/dipoles above your listening position would be better than nothing, but they'd be far from ideal. Ideally you want the seats away from that rear wall, and layout 1, but that might mean other compromises that make option 2 better.

Given that you have the budget, I think the main questions are:
How many people will be watching at a time?
What are your options with the door?
Will you need any sound-proofing (either for neighbours, or for others in your home who won't be watching)?
If the door moved (might be more work than you're prepared to do) you could have a false wall with speakers behind the screen, and multiple subs around the room.

skn8881

Novice Member
When I say gatherings, its not going to be like 50 people crammed in the room. yes could be 10 folks. is one couch enough, no. I don't think there is more option than seating for 5 folks. but it can be casual viewing like sports or just lounge around with music, doesn't need to be a movie experience for 10 people. that might not be possible. I will probably have a bean bag or 2 though.

Rear speakers will not be possible, there is a window behind the couch. So surronds will go on the side walls in option 1 and on the wall behind in option 2.

Normal weekends, the 4 of us 2 adults and 2 kids.

Door can swing out. Moving the door to a different position wont work here. not possible in the house configuration. Some sound proofing will be done. But I don't have any immediate neighbours to the room. Just someone above me.

I am not sure what you mean by the false wall, but I think what could work in option 1 is
have an acoustic transparent screen, keep speakers behind the screen and go for probably a 120 inch screen with 12 feet viewing distance and 12 feet throw distance. Subwoofer can be placed anywhere. door will still need to open out, but this solution a bit more better.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
When I say gatherings, its not going to be like 50 people crammed in the room. yes could be 10 folks. is one couch enough, no. I don't think there is more option than seating for 5 folks. but it can be casual viewing like sports or just lounge around with music, doesn't need to be a movie experience for 10 people. that might not be possible. I will probably have a bean bag or 2 though.
Normal weekends, the 4 of us 2 adults and 2 kids.
Ok so we'll plan for the 4 of you. Can you all fit on the sofa (and as the kids get bigger)?

Rear speakers will not be possible, there is a window behind the couch. So surronds will go on the side walls in option 1 and on the wall behind in option 2.
In the drawing the window doesn't go all the way to the sides. Maybe you can put some there? I assume the window is quite close to the ceiling is it?

Door can swing out. Moving the door to a different position wont work here. not possible in the house configuration. Some sound proofing will be done. But I don't have any immediate neighbours to the room. Just someone above me.
That someone above you is an issue with sound, and it's not easily fixes. If the someone above is one of the kids, then at least you're ok when they're with you. Otherwise it's going to limit your volumes a fair bit, particularly your bass.

I am not sure what you mean by the false wall, but I think what could work in option 1 is
have an acoustic transparent screen, keep speakers behind the screen and go for probably a 120 inch screen with 12 feet viewing distance and 12 feet throw distance.
A false wall would just be timber framing to house the speakers, some acoustic insulation, and fit the screen on to. If your screen is off the wall (to allow speakers to go behind) and you pull your sofa just a bit off the back wall, you might be a bit less than 12' (unless you have a desperate need to keep the sofa against the wall).

Subwoofer can be placed anywhere. door will still need to open out, but this solution a bit more better.
That's good if it's flexible, as we can't tell yet where it will sound best. And if you love your cinema, you may be able to add another later, which will help. Not because it can be louder, that's not the point, but because multiple subs can be tuned to balance out the bass so it sounds better.

If you haven't already, you need to consider what colour the room is, and stopping light leaking in through the window. The darker the room is, the better. I guess with a study desk in there you won't be wanting the walls and ceiling black, but maybe you can go for darkish tones, including a slightly grey ceiling or something?

skn8881

Novice Member
Ok so we'll plan for the 4 of you. Can you all fit on the sofa (and as the kids get bigger)?
Yes we should be able to fit on the couch.

In the drawing the window doesn't go all the way to the sides. Maybe you can put some there? I assume the window is quite close to the ceiling is it?
yes it doesn't go all the way to the sides. so yes the rear surrounds can come there.

That someone above you is an issue with sound, and it's not easily fixes. If the someone above is one of the kids, then at least you're ok when they're with you. Otherwise it's going to limit your volumes a fair bit, particularly your bass.
hmm. will see what we can do here. will acoustic panels help?
A false wall would just be timber framing to house the speakers, some acoustic insulation, and fit the screen on to. If your screen is off the wall (to allow speakers to go behind) and you pull your sofa just a bit off the back wall, you might be a bit less than 12' (unless you have a desperate need to keep the sofa against the wall).
The only problem with this approach is the door, if i stand at the door I will look directly at the frame from the side. there is no way I can do anything else to the door other than sliding/opening outside.

If you haven't already, you need to consider what colour the room is, and stopping light leaking in through the window. The darker the room is, the better. I guess with a study desk in there you won't be wanting the walls and ceiling black, but maybe you can go for darkish tones, including a slightly grey ceiling or something?
color will be dark, not black, but dark enough- there are lot of color suggestions. burgundy red maybe, or brown walls. I will do some acoustic panelling, but just not sure what yet. need to learn more.

At this stage, this looks doable
1. drop down acoustic transparent screen about 1.5 feet from the wall,
2. LCR speakers behind the screen,
3. sofa about a feet from the back wall,
4. blackout curtains,
5. panelling on the walls,
6. rear speakers on the back wall,
7. subwoofer anywhere along the left wall,
8. projector at approx 12 feet from the screen, looks doable.

I just dont know where to get a drop down acoustic transparent screen here . will need to figure that out.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Yes we should be able to fit on the couch.

yes it doesn't go all the way to the sides. so yes the rear surrounds can come there.
Good & good.
hmm. will see what we can do here. will acoustic panels help?
Unfortunately not. Play something in there now and see how loud you can have it without disturbing the room above. Fixing it is not easy or cheap. If you were going to try, I'd guess fitting a new ceiling onto the old one would be a minimum: you'd use clips and isolation bars, and fit boards (osb, plasterboard) to that, and seal all joins. That wouldn't be perfect, because vibrations would still go up the wall. You'll also get plenty of sound leaking out of the door. The easiest solution is to get rid of the person above, and even then sound will go around the rest of the house. Like I said, test it now and see what you can live with.

The only problem with this approach is the door, if i stand at the door I will look directly at the frame from the side. there is no way I can do anything else to the door other than sliding/opening outside.
Yep, ok.

color will be dark, not black, but dark enough- there are lot of color suggestions. burgundy red maybe, or brown walls. I will do some acoustic panelling, but just not sure what yet. need to learn more.
That sounds good. Try not to have a white ceiling.

At this stage, this looks doable
1. drop down acoustic transparent screen about 1.5 feet from the wall,
2. LCR speakers behind the screen,
3. sofa about a feet from the back wall,
4. blackout curtains,
5. panelling on the walls,
6. rear speakers on the back wall,
7. subwoofer anywhere along the left wall,
8. projector at approx 12 feet from the screen, looks doable.

I just dont know where to get a drop down acoustic transparent screen here . will need to figure that out.
That all sounds good.

The thing with a drop down acoustic screen, is making sure it doesn't shake due to the speakers. I have no experience of those, so hopefully someone else can help.

skn8881

Novice Member
Unfortunately not. Play something in there now and see how loud you can have it without disturbing the room above. Fixing it is not easy or cheap. If you were going to try, I'd guess fitting a new ceiling onto the old one would be a minimum: you'd use clips and isolation bars, and fit boards (osb, plasterboard) to that, and seal all joins. That wouldn't be perfect, because vibrations would still go up the wall. You'll also get plenty of sound leaking out of the door. The easiest solution is to get rid of the person above, and even then sound will go around the rest of the house. Like I said, test it now and see what you can live with.
There is a false ceiling in that room already - probably. need to check.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom