1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ht In A Shed ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by sirata, Jul 22, 2003.

1. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    This is my first post, I`ve been wanting a home theater for years,
    but 2 children and not enough rooms has put paid to that.
    Until now, I have a home built 14 x 12 shed in the garden,
    built onto a concrete floor,strong wooden frame,tongue and groove on the outside and lined with 1/4 inch ply.

The idea is to build stud walls inside,fill in the cavity with insulation and plasterboard the inside.
    My questions are

1/ am i mad
    2/ has anybody out there done it
    3/ for best sound insulation should i build as above or do something else (the shed is 30ft from house and neighbours)

4/ The shed has a good electricity supply,should i get a mobile
    air-con unit and what about ventilation,as i understand a projector will kick out a bit of heat.

Sorry for so many questions,but i am desperate for the large screen experience. On that note i live in Guernsey,so demos
    of projectors are non existent,so all i`ve seen is posted screenshots,how does a decent 5/6k lcd/dlp stack up against
    going to the local cinema ?

Thanks for you time.

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30,084
    We have a £1000 projector in a 19ft by 16ft living room. This is infinitely better than the cinema...

It projects onto a 105" screen, so we might as well be at the cinema, so long as we black out the room (our local cinema's screen 2 has six rows of seats and projects onto a fuzzy out of focus 9 foot screen)

We have two kids, relatively well behaved, so no shouting, screaming, spoiling of the plot, no sticky seats.

Sound is better too at home,

On the whole, we prefer watching DVDs than going to the cinema, but we do have to wait until they get onto DVD (but we can watch them more than once)

A lot of people have done the opposite from you, built a home theatre bunker and then dressed it with shiplap to look like a shed.
    I don't think you're mad and I don't think you need to spend that much on a projector, I'd spend more of that on the conversion and sound (which you haven't mentioned yet)

Dave

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing. With a 12'x8' structure using 4x2" material and then tounge and groove on the outside. Double plasterboard on the inside will help with the sound insulation, the Auralex website is good for ideas with this part.

Definately put in some vetilation, heating won't be a problem in the winter because all your gear will heat up the room well. You can always bring in a portable electric heater incase it gets too cold.

Good luck with your build.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    A number of years ago, I was introduced to a friend of a friend who lived in a small, old semi somewhere in West Yorkshire. In his back garden, there was a shed, and, inside, it contained

a screen, full cinemascope ratio, about 5 feet across
    seven or eight tip-up cinema seats
    appropriate decor, curtains and so on, plus......

a full size 35mm cinema projector. The only modification that had been made was that the Xenon Arc lamp had been replaced by a simple 200w quartz-halogen bulb.

And I saw the first reel of 'From Russia With Love'.

Short answer - yes, it has been done before. As to whether you are mad.....well, I guess the guy in question didn't think so.

5. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Sirata

I hope you are not mad because I am thinking of doing something similar (see garage on no budget). From my investigations so far its not the heat (or lack of it ) that will be th eproblem but humidity/condensation getting into electrical equipment. However I have been told this is low risk. I have thought about this for so long I am just going to bite the bullet and try and deal with all the issues (if there are any) when they come up - heat, humidity, noise pollution etc. So soon its get the amp, speakers, cd player etc etc into the garage (with the fridge already in there - beer storage) and use it until the nights get colder (hardly seems possible at the moment) and see what happens heat and condensation wise.
    I too am longing for a big screen experience at home, especially with the Indy trilogy coming out soon.