HT bypass stereo amp with remote function.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gibbsy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I almost pulled the trigger on the Marantz pm8005, which at it's present price point is fantastic value and the perfect partner from my sa8005 spinner. It would be used as a power amp for the front speakers via my Denon X6200. The main reason for such a purchase would be the enhancement of stereo music, the 6200 is more than capable of outstanding filmatic sound.

However, to engage and disengage the power amp you have to press and hold a button on the front facia. This presents a bit of a problem for me. The amp will have to sit on the bottom shelf of my cabinet making pressing and holding the button for the required three seconds something of a trial for my aged arthritic spine, so, unfortunately, I have all but discounted the Marantz.

I am therefore looking for an integrated amp with HT bypass than can be accessed by using the remote. The Rega Elicit R I believe has this function and I would put this at the top of my budget. Any other suggestions would be welcome as long as the amp has the essential remote function.

2. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    I have a Naim Nait XS-2 which I use in exactly the way you're looking to.

My Harmony remote takes care of everything. The Naim has the HT bypass switch, and you should be able to get it for a similar amount to the Rega. I demo'ed both, and went for the Naim, however everyone's taste, room, and speakers are different, so that would be down to personal preference.

Enjoy!

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,958
  4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I mentioned getting the M3i to my wife, she wanted to know why. I have a very good recording of Holst's The Planets so I played it on headphones for her then on the Denon. So I asked her what was missing......detail was her reply. That to me is a green light. I'm going to ring my local AudioT and Sevenoaks tomorrow and see if they will price match and if so I'll organise an audition with KEF Rs.

5. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,958
    Great. i'd be interested to hear your impressions of it.

6. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Yamaha A-S1100 or A-S2100 - the HT bypass mode is just another input (Main Direct) that is selected just like any other input and from a remote (the supplied one, or a Logitech harmony remote etc).

Additionally it also supports a 12V trigger input from an AVR and when the amp is turned on from standby by means of the AVR (via the 12V trigger), it will automatically select the Main Direct input (ie enter HT bypass mode), so you don't even need to worry about it - just switch the AVR on exactly as you do currently and it will detect this and take care of the input selection automatically.

These amps also seem to have a good reputation sound wise and the output power is more in line with an AVR. There are some review kicking around of the 2100. The 1100 is basically the same where it counts. There is a thread about them in the HiFi section on here.

They are huge heavy and very well made amps - depth about 47cm, weight around 23Kg, so can be a problem to find a suitable home for it in a most AV cabinets or hifi racks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  7. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    +1 for Nait XS, great amp. I have a Marantz Integrated currently and the button press is a PITA. Also with many amps, their on / off remote code can be the same as the AVR, which again can be a real PITA if they get out of sync due to different boot up times. My Mrs hates the Marantz due to this as can't work out why there is no sound sometime on stereo channels and it's because the integrated amp is accidentally off.... The Naim is great as it has no on / off remote code as you leave it on all the time. Arcam A18/28 & 32/38 are also options I've tried with good results.... For my money I'd go Naim each time as like their sound, but that's obviously a personal thing...

8. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,958
    There is quite a budget range here.

Musical Fidelity M3i £500 (was £1000)
    Yamaha A-S1100 £1149
    Naim Nait XS 2 £1900

What would be an appropriate amount to spend to partner with the Kef R500's (£1000)?

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I've come up against a problem, the depth of my cabinet. I cannot go deeper than 380mm, so unfortunately that rules out the Yamahas and the Musical Fidelity. Bugger!:(

10. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  11. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    Good thing with Naim also, is if you don't like it you can usually shift it on with little to no loss, prices usually go up in Mar/Apr also....

12. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I'm leaning towards the Niam, partly because of the headphone socket. At almost two grand my wife is leaning towards the kitchen to get the big frying pan to whack me over the head.:confused:

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Thoughts on the Naim 5si peeps? With 60 watts into 8 ohms that's enough for me and the R300s. Don't need a DAC so it looks inviting at £1100. I did have second thoughs about the Marantz so phoned around and they are all sold out.

14. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    It’s a strong amp and has that Naim sound, it’s certainly a step up from the previous 5i’s, much more serious. Also Naim watts aren’t like other makes, their watts are on steroids for some reason. I do find with all the 5’s though that the gain in AV mode is not as much as higher Naim amps, XS and beyond etc, so had to set the levels on the front L&R all the way up. I one AVR (non Marantz/Denon) I did not have enough gain so had the LR at +10 and all the others at really low -something settings, so check that out.
    An XS or XS2 is a good step up and upgradable later by adding a PSU or Power Amp (and just using it as a pre), you can do neither with a 5si.
    As I said before if you don’t mind second hand I’d stretch to the XS2, plenty of Naim dealers selling them 2nd hand (2yr warranty) / ex-demo (would have 5yr warranty) if you want backup or can be picked up cheaper still privately.

15. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Also, if I remember correctly, the 5si is not as easy to switch back and forward in a home theatre / stereo set up. Below is from the manual, I'm not sure if you have to do this every time you switch back and forward.

14.2 AV Bypass

The NAIT 5si can be integrated within a multi-channel home theatre system, driving the front left and right channel speakers, by engaging its AV Bypass mode. AV Bypass mode enables a home theatre processor to take over volume control of signals connected to the NAIT 5si av input.

To select AV Bypass, first switch the NAIT 5si into program mode by pressing and holding the handset prog key (with the handset in preamplifier mode). The front panel av button will illuminate if AV Bypass is selected. If it is not enabled it can be switched on by pressing av button twice.

The NAIT 5si volume control indicator will extinguish when AV Bypass mode is engaged and the av input is selected. Remote handset volume control and mute function will also be disabled.

Note: The AV Bypass feature must be used with care. It bypasses the NAIT 5si volume control leaving any signal connected to the av input to be passed to the speakers at full volume.

Note: Inserting a headphone plug while AV Bypass mode is selected temporarily returns the NAIT 5si to normal operation. Removing the headphone plug will return the NAIT 5si to AV Bypass mode.

Note: The mute function is disabled when AV Bypass mode is engaged.

16. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    It’s dead easy, well, it’s the same as most other analogue Naim amps. You configure one of the inputs as the HT input and that input then stays at HT bypass / full volume each and every time you select it. It doesn’t need to be done every time.

17. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +797
    I agree it’s not as simple as many other amps, but it’s the same process for all Naim analogue amps 5, XS, Supernait, 202, 282, 252 etc... Once you get the hang of it, it’s not hard and only needs doing once to setup the AV input. The Naim digital amps (Uniti, 172, 272 etc..) are much simpler as they have screens and a menu to follow...

18. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I've downloaded all the manuals of the amps that are in consideration, the Naims being on one page. I'm going to call in to AudioT, Cardiff on Tuesday, the guys in there are pretty knowledgable and have sold me the vast majority of my kit.

Thanks for your help so far.

19. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    @Rambles I've got an audition lined up for Friday morning, taking my CD player and hooked up to KEF LS50s, my R300s are too heavy for me to carry. If I purchase an amp AudioT have agreed to send you a bill for 50% as it's mostly your persistence.;)

20. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Had the perfect audition yesterday, customer had returned the R300s so my chain was complete as I took my Marantz 8005 player with me. The Rega Elicit R is on order and should be with me on Wednesday, it blew the Naim 5si clean away.

21. degsy

degsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I find a hole cutter and saw useful in these circumstances! :);)

22. degsy

degsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ah, see things have moved on and that your audition was fruitful. Enjoy the Rega (and keep the cabinet intact)!

23. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Indeed, the cabinet now has several new holes in it. Thank goodness they are out of sight.o_O

24. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,958
    Interesting, I was wondering how you got on. Did you just audition those amplifiers, or any others? Looks like you have chosen a good one, that should provide many years of enjoyment. It is an interesting exercise to do that A/B listening tests, especially when countering views that all amplifiers sound the same!

25. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I just auditioned the two. I was hampered by a couple of things, mainly the depth of my cabinet and certainly the availability of dealers to be able to audition. There are just two in Cardiff, AudioT and RS, replecated in Bristol with the addition of Sevenoaks. AudioT have always given me good auditions and deals and on this they didn't disappoint.

I took three CDs with me, Rag n' Boneman, Laura Marling and a very good recording of Holst The Planets. We changed amps several times on various tracks. The Rega simply controlled the bass on the R300s far better. It also had better timing giving a cleaner mid with more attack. With Laura Marling the reverb was more apparant and brought out an edge to her voice and there was a beautiful seperation of instruments.

Rag n' Boneman was awesome on the Rega, it just grabbed you. The bass heavy Human was so controlled and tight with his booming voice cutting right through. The Naim just couldn't control the bass on the R300s, the voice just didn't have the same presence. The Naim, however, felt warmer more laid back and certainly musical and did grow on me more and the audition went on, a completely different sound though but sounded very like the Denon 6200, more detailed but I don't think it was much of an upgrade, certainly not enough to part with my hard earned. The Rega literally had my hair standing on end, the positioning of the sections of the orchestra on the Planets was a joy. The Rega showed just what the R300s are capable of. Easy, if more expensive, decision.

26. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Damn...why did i find this thread...