1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ht-400, dual dvi, pvr350

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sammy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. sammy

sammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as a first time hcpc builder i'm having difficulties selecting the right parts together.

I would like to use a HT-400 case with a fanless PSU (a silverstone 300w) and a dual dvi videocard. I wanted to buy the XFX fx5700 ultra which had dual dvi (for my lcd tv and the projector), but I'm afraid it won't fit the case or would it ? Any recommendations on other dual dvi cards that will fit this case ?

Furthermore, would it be useful to use a hauppage tvr350 for receiving my analog tv signal and scale that signal with powerstrip to 1280x780 and output it to my lcd tv (philips 26pf9946), this tv had dvi, but maybe i could use another connection method which similar results ?

thnx for the input

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    QuietPC don't recomment fansless PSUs with the Accent range of cases. I'm also not sure how well an FX Ultra can be cooled in such a case given their heat output .. also, are you sure you want to put up with the row the fan on that thing will produce?

Powerstrip doesn't scale images, it merely allows you to define a non-PC standard screen resolution/refresh, image scaling needs something like ffdshow.

3. sammy

sammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for mentioning this website, I checked it out and it gave me quite a bit of info, especially about the length of the agp-card. A fx ultra won't fit.

Regarding the noise: I was thinking of using the zalman Reserator to cool the vga card. It's not the best looking thing there is, but it should be the quietest solution available.

Ok, I understand. You use ffdshow to scale the image (is this cpu intensive ?) and then use the right powerstrip settings to output it to your display. Will this produce an improvement for analog TV signals or will it just enlarge the artifacts ?

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    With a htpc style case you are better off with a psu with a 120mm fan which will help withdraw warm case air without the need for an exhaust fan. That and a decent heatsink and fan like the thermalright xp-120 and you'll have sufficient quiet cooling (graphics card aside).

By all accounts the reserator is a good solution but it stops it being particularly moveable if that matters, it woyuld be no good for me in the rack in my lounge.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ffdshow can be very CPU intensive, depending on the amount of scaling and what other processing you select .. it's also very techie in nature, don't expect a lot of hand-holding from the program itself, if you don't understand the processes and parameters of those processes don't expect the program to teach you. :) That said, there's plenty of help around, with a very long and detailed thread over on AVS.

I have no idea about TV signals, for those people often use DScaler, not something I've used very much at all.

The Reserator is getting some pretty 'rave' reviews, though last time I checked QuietPC weren't shipping the VGA cooler add-on, though I think it should be available by now .. if you've somewhere to locate it that's out of the way then it's a pretty good solution for a power-hungry HTPC I'd think.