HSU Sub - Plugged or unplugged?

Dunctank

Novice Member
Hi all,
The amp on my sub died and I am purchasing a replacement.

The model is VTF-2 MK3 but the new amp they are sending is a VTF-2 MK4 which they said upgrades you to the latest with Q control.
Existing equipment:
Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX501
JBL Studio L Series L820 for FR, FL
Polk Signature S35 for Center
Polk Signature S10's for SR,SL

I was told the below by HSU regarding the plug (that's currently in on the sub) but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations of preferences or simple explanations on which way it should be for a typical 5.1 setup?

The sub is a variable tuning sub. With one port plugged, it’s in max extension mode – goes down lowest, but don’t play quite as loud. If you take out the port plug, you have both ports open or max output mode where the sub can play up to 4 dB louder but has less extension (20 vs 25 Hz). If you run it in max output mode (both ports open), make sure the EQ switch is in EQ2. Otherwise the woofer can be damaged.

Thanks all

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
That sub is not available in UK, but quick look from the site and manual..

V2MK4-Amp-600.jpg

If you don´t get port noise with your listening levels you could stick with the extension mode one plug in and EQ1 as operating mode, Crossover "Out", Phase 0, Q Control 0,7. But feel free to try these different combinations. The manual should tell you more about the Q Control positions.

1) Ported Max Output Mode: two ports open, and operating mode switch set to EQ2. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to-large room sizes who listen at high playback levels and want the strongest mid-bass possible.

2) Ported Max Extension Mode: one port open, and operating mode switch set to EQ1. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to large room sizes, or small-to-medium rooms but who listen at low-to moderate playback levels where the rising low bass from room gain will help compensate for the ear’s insensitivity to bass as lower ears.

3) Ported Max Headroom Mode: one port open, and operating mode switch set to EQ2. This mode is ideal for those with medium-tolarge room sizes who listen at high playback levels and want the deepest bass extension.

4) Sealed Max Extension Mode: No ports open, and operating mode switch set to EQ1. This mode is ideal for those who prefer a sealed box sound and deepest bass extension.

5) Sealed Max Headroom Mode: No ports open, and operating mode switch set to SQ2. This mode is ideal for those who want the sealed box sound and listen at high playback levels.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom