Question Hsu Research STF-2 Not Working (Sorta)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by eddiep412, Sep 25, 2017.

1. eddiep412

eddiep412
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just moved and put together my surround sound system. I'm running 7.1 through a Sony STR-DH770 (1000 watt 4K 7.2 receiver). Everything works beautifully and sounds great except my subwoofer.

I have an Hsu Research STF-2 (10 inch 200 watt) that doesn't want to work unless I'm running a subwoofer test. For instance. If I watch a movie I get nothing, if I listen to music via bluetooth off of my phone, nothing, cable gets nothing. However if I go to YouTube and play any random subwoofer test, it works. Some things to note. The sub as an Off/Auto-On/On switch doesn't change whether it works though. It has a Crossover Out/In, doesn't change anything. Crossover Frequency doesn't change anything as far as it working and neither does the phase being at 0 or 180.

One other thing to note, it seems to work when I run the auto calibration, but it is very weak. Not sure if that helps, but that has been one other thing that I've noticed. This is also a powered sub so it's not an issue with not having enough power going to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +845
    Check the receiver speaker setup settings. Be sure you have ALL speakers set to small/using a crossover no lower than 80hz.

Also, be sure you aren't using a listening mode that bypasses the above bass management settings and is, effectively, a "pure" 2.0 style..:)

Tom V.