1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 - Time to buy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by guyvert1, Mar 8, 2005.

1. guyvert1

guyvert1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Been looking to get a decent LCD again after trying out CRT and although finding pic is superb, I can't live with the industrial size!..

Had my eye on the HS50 (I had a HS10 yrs ago).

Before xmas it was around £1500 cheapest, and I'm suprised that this still seems cheapest (Gultronics), has anyone found it cheaper?

2. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    there is a major shortage of these units.... my order with Gultronics was placed on 28th Jan, not best pleased (this is no reflection of Gultronics, they've been very obliging)..... there are a few of us on this forum who are awaiting new stock....

Some other 'stockists' have said they'll do a price match, but without any in the UK its a kinda moot point. (Nexnix did have 8 units about a month ago, but they wanted 1399+vat)

Also bear in mind that any new stock "should" have the updated firmware. (Don't quote me, I'm not sure where I read this).

3. guyvert1

guyvert1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oh, didnt realise they were still low on stock!!.. I suppose that allows the RRP to still be pretty high for something thats been out a good few months :( Was tempted to get the HS51 from Land of the rising SUN :)

4. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Nexnix had stock last week.
    But they were not prepared to sell them, they were shipping them all back to Sony.

5. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a way, I'm pleased to hear this. Does that mean that Sony are not allowing any more units to be sold without the upgraded firmware and possible prism block assembly replacement?

If so, at least I can be confident that mine will be updated when it arrives.

Cheers, Beastie.

6. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I think its Nexnix's decision.
    IMHO, Sony would not give a toss.

7. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is this prism block assembly replacement?
    The new firmware gets rid of the blanking issue through HDMI, is this correct?

8. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I think the prism block assembly is the block where the three colors come together and then are projected out of the lens and onto your screen. It might have something to do with the pixel misalignment people have been complaining about.

9. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    These updates that can be done to this machine now, does the machine HAVE to be returned to the dealer it was bought from, or sent to Sony direct, or takej to a Sony Centre to be passed on to Sony?

Just trying to avoid hassle!!!

10. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    I hope so, as (though it did not seem to be affecting current owners enjoyment) personally 3 pixels misconvergence is just unnaceptable for a machine that's supposed to be at the top of the current big name machines.

11. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    The update is only for the 720p blanking issue. It will be available in the UK in 2 weeks time.

If you have bad panel alignment, then that is an entirely seperate issue: There is no recall / update for this issue. You have to bear in mind that a certain level of "tolerance" is allowed by SONY and unfortunately, this may not coincide with you own level of "tolerance".

SONY may choose to replace an optical block if the alignment is bad enough at their own discretion. They may also check the alignment when/if you send in your HS50 for 720p update.

Fortunately, the panel alignenment on my HS50 is very good after having 2 previous models that weren't...

HTH

12. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Did you send the other 2 units back as faulty due to panel alignment?

The topic about how many dead pixels before you can send it back has been done to death.

But, I've never heard what constitutes a faulty model when it comes to panel alignment.

My personal opinion (and I know others will disagree!) is that the RGB dots should at least (to some extent) overlap for a single pixel. eg: if it's OVER 1 pixel out then it's faulty. and you will not get the correct colour for that pixel as the colours will never overlap on that spot.

Even if it was 3/4 of a pixel out, then at least 1/4 of that pixel will be the correct colour.

I don't know where you stand regards a shop and this issue?

13. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    The dealer who sold my HS50 is excellent and values my custom and swapped them over. SONY were not directly involved.

I think the key here is to use a local dealer who will check it before it goes out or find a sympathetic internet dealer and prearrange a swap over if you are not happy.

I would imagine SONY themselves could be very tricky if you couldn't resolve it with the dealer.