1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 suitable for so-so light conditions?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Craig Armstrong, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've posted on an AE500 bulb flicker thread a few times and had two AE500s with the same problem. I'm in the process of obtaining a refund for the projector.

I was going to get an AE700 but this time took some time to check on the experiences of you guys on the forum. Clearly there are some people happy with their AE700s but there are others who are not and I'm minded to consider another LCD projector instead. (FWIW, I was never particularly impressed by the fan noise generated by my AE500 mounted to the ceiling).

The Z3 and the new Sony HS50 are the obvious candidates and I've read some of the pros and cos of the the Z3 and the AE700. The HS50 sounds like it may be a step up, but quite frankly I was impressed by the AE500 picture quality and therefore I'm probably going to be just as happy, if not happier, with the Z3 over the AE500. The only concern I have over the Z3 is that it used the same panels as the AE700 and therefore there is a risk of some VB.

So, unless I'm truly being paranoid about the Epson panels, the Sony seems the safer, if more expensive bet. However, I use a 70" screen in my front room which has white walls and does not have a black out blind. However, it is rather dingy and the AE500 was ok in low lamp power mode in everything but the sunniest of days, even with the blind up. But will the Sony be just as happy or will I have to consider getting a blackout blind? Its not a dedicated home cinema room so I don't want to go overboard with the home cinemas specific blind etc if it can be helped.

I may have talked myself into a Z3 just by typing this :)
    Can anyone give me any real world experiences of the Sony and the Z3 in those lighting conditions?

2. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    1'd like to know this to. kids in the house dont like watching montsers inc, sherk, or finding nemo in the dark

3. morph42

morph42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For what its worth - I have the Z3 at home in a "normal lounge" environment - with light coloured walls, flooring and white ceiling etc. At night, with the lights off and normal curtains drawn the quality is fantastic. During the day with the curtains open (but no direct sunlight coming in through the window) the picture is still remarkably watchable -although some of the contrast is obviously lost. Playing PC games on the screen during the day with the curtains open is even better than watching films

4. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spot on, thanks Morph, thats the sort of feedback we appreciate! Do other owners of the Z3 agree?

5. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How about any Sony HS50 owners? Any feedback would be appreaciated. Thanks.

6. ben789

ben789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now had my HS50 since I got home last night and so far I've racked up around 8 hours on it.

The room its in is not the most ideal location, cream walls, white ceiling, small, projecting directly onto a wall (currently set at 110", which fills the width of the wall). In all of its 8 hours it has been running in low lamp mode (to my eyes there wasn’t much difference with the high lamp mode, certainly not enough to justify the lower lamp life).

The lighting in the room is 3 small cheap direction things on a dimmer (I wouldn’t really call them spot lights as they leek a lot of light in all directions, I think they are around 20w each).

When the lights are on full, the screen is quite washed out, but if I dim them very slightly (i.e. so there is still a lot of light in the room) it is very watch able.

I.e. I turned on the lights to eat dinner & read the manual last night and the image was still very good.

I doubt there would be any problem with using the projector during the day as long as there isn’t direct sunlight (and the curtains are slightly shut).

My only gripes so far are:

1) The iris makes a clicking noise when switching between input sources.
    2) The fan seems louder than I remember when demo'ing it.
    3) When projecting in total darkness the letter boxing around widescreen movies seems a bit too grey (particularly in bright scenes) (Probably due to my poor setup).
    4) When standing very close to the image I can tell that the 3 LCD panels aren’t quite in alignment (i.e. the red/green/blue dots aren’t on top of each other). (Although, you cant tell this from sitting back a few feet from the screen, and is probably intentional)

P.S. I haven’t seen *any* VB on it yet. :)

7. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Ben, your set up sounds similar to mine, except that due to my kitchen door positioning my screen is restrained to a 70" diagonal, which no doubt reduces possible brightness issues. Interesting issue re the panels though...wish I knew whether that is intentional.

[​IMG]

8. ben789

ben789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I wish I knew as well. But to be honest as long as your eye's are more than about 2' away from the wall you don’t see any problems with it (i.e. even with 1:1 mapping, a single white pixel still looks crisp and white, unless your VERY close to it) :)

It’s probably because I’m being over analytical as this is my first PJ. :)

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    All 3 panel projectors suffer from slight misalignment issues so I wouldn't worry about it unless its really objectionable during normal viewing.

I've got an HS20 which I'm very happy with but I was considering upgrading to the HS50 mainly because of the fan noise on the HS20 : which was described as "silent" on a couple of reviews .Let's hope the reviewers went for a hearing test after that. That an the whacky 56Hz refresh in 1368 1:1 pixel mode.

I've heard a few people claim that the actual picture quality is not a massive improvement over the hs20 but how loud is the HS50 really?

10. ben789

ben789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it isn’t silent :), and I can’t really compare how it sounds with any other projector as my memory is rubbish.

It's a lot quieter than the Sony data PJ at work but it’s louder than my laptop.

It wasn’t noticeable during any films I watched last night. But it was this morning when I turned it on to watch the news.

But the PJ hasn’t been setup properly yet, and it might be due to it sitting in a band of hot air (i.e. its position around a foot from the ceiling) and the central heating is set quite high.

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have viewed quite a few PJ's now and this is the quietest I have heard. I have put 40 hours on ours and to be honest coming from the Panasonic stable to the Sony this is an improvement over what I owned.

I finally fed a 720p image (courtesy of xbox Crash Nitro Kart) and came up with the border all the way around the image, which was a bit of a pain, but after 10 minutes of playing the game forgot it was there on the basis of paying attention to the action in the game.

I have a couple of friends who have now viewed this HS50 and all are suitably impressed.
    I too have a white skimmed ceiling, magnolia walls and a ecru rug but I am finding the pic quality outstanding.

Cheers

Tone

12. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi i had a look at a HS50 today and the blacks are still not that good and typical sony convergence, panels do not line up just like the sony tv's to be honest i will stick with my AE500 and my seleco 350+

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Keith,

I've just swapped my HS10 withh CC30r for a HS50. I did a demo with my HTPC at Shoot and Show and struggled to see much difference at all, slightly better black level so an improvement in contrast but in a strange demo room it all seemed a bit dim, not so much that it was a problem and resetting the black and white levels from out of the box helped slightly.

With regard to quiet, yes it is....very quiet compared to my HS10 and definitly much better than the HS20 I've seen too.

A worth while upgrade?..........for me, noise was a major issue and I'd already found a buyer for my HS10 that had 2000 hours on it so I did.

Its now at home on the ceiling (its a lounge with dark blue walls but a white ceiling and a rug covered laminate floor and a 1.2 gain screen) and racked up 1 hour. Its very quiet and I'm pleased with it for that fact, but other than an overall slightly dimmer picture giving better blacks not really and better PQ.

For people with a HTPC this is NOT the massive jump in PQ that everyone would have you beleive, I quote the wife, "I though we were getting a new PJ", "we have" I repled :rolleyes:

14. mcmanus1000

mcmanus1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig, how would you describe the performance of the AE500 in your 'so-so' light conditions? I am considering buying an AE700 and figure if the AE500 looks ok in those conditions, an AE700 should be fine. Would also welcome comments by any of you out there who have an AE700 in less than ideal lighting conditions. Thanks!

15. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought it performed very well, but I've little experience to compare it to. Of course it looked washed out if I didn't draw the curtains during the day, but it was always quite watchable unless a really sunny day (and we don't seem to get many of those :rolleyes: ). It was my sole TV source downstairs for several months and it wasn't really a problem at all. I've now got a 17" LCD mounted to my hi fi rack and extending in front of my sofa by a flexible arm so I use that for surfing or the occasional small amount of TV, and fire up the PJ if I'm settling down for an evening's TV or DVD watching :)

My only concern regarding the HS50 is whether its as bright as the Ae500 or the Z3. Although the specs are a useful starting point, I don't think they are necessarily accurate and the HS50's dynamic iris seems to offer a trade off between brightness and contrast. I guess ultimately I will switch the iris off if brightness is needed during the day, and pop it onto auto when the curtains are drawn for a night's DVD watching.

16. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    hs50
    hi could you please tell me if the zoom and the lense shift can cause any picture loss,i would like to put the hs50 9'2''from a 6'wide screen,is this possible without picture deterioration if zoom is used to achieve this.
    thank you...............dis

17. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    The zoom and lens shift do not cause any degredation in picture quality.
    Only keystone correction will result in any such degredation.

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    also keep in mind if you correctly calibrate your PJ( and your a bit of a numpty if you dont after spending your hard earned) you will get a much more defined pic but you will kill brightness. a calibrated output will drop from say a manufactures 900 ANSI output down to even as low as 250ANSI calibrated. (if you dont calibrate you wont get near those nice high contrast figures quoted)
    Dont be fooled into thinking a PJ is ok for day light viewing as it is not, bearable maybe but a waste of time. You will have to pull those curtains.
    if you need lights at night time for the kids try lighting from behind the screen
    this can work wonders and will if set right not cause the image to suffer too bad.(infact it can be quite effective in percieved contrast)

And god only knows who i was relping to as i forget the sig. Too much beer yesterday, infact did i even put this in the right place :beer: :beer:

19. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    thanks Edgeboy
    so it will be ok to put the hs50 9'2'' from 6' wide screen and zoom to fit. thanks once again .........dis

20. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    According to projector central site, you should be fine at 9'2".

21. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    thanks once again Edgeboy........dis

22. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    John.....could to tell me which projector mount you use.......thanks.....dis

23. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My mount is homemade, its an ikea table leg (4 for £7) and a small peice of mdf with 3 holes to fit the 3 threads on the base of the hs50 with three bolts that go through the mdf into the hs50, all sprayed silver. the table leg goes through a hole in the ceiling and screws directly to a joist.

I actually made it for my hs10 and someone posted that the holes are spaced the same for the hs50, they are but......they are back to front, the hs10 had 2 holes to the front and 1 to the back but the hs50 is the other way round.

24. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    thanks..John i have the unicol gyrolock mount and gap plate,so the holes are the other way round, i ordered the hs50 and keep fingers crossed i hope it fits,because the gap plates are 40 odd pounds each...... thanks john......dis