1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 settings

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jack the lad, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What settings are you guys using for DVD and SKY playback?

Just got mine and it looks mint straight outa the box. Im sure it will be better still after a little tweeking ;)

2. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Jack,

How are you mate. I too ventured down the HS 500 route. I tweaked mine after loking at this forums and the Yanks equivalent.

User 1 of the picture settings:

Contrast 78
    Brightness 55
    Colour 44
    Hue 51
    Sharpness low or off
    Gamma Off
    Black level Off
    Iris Auto
    Bulb Low

Enter factory mode using

Enter/Enter/up/down/enter

Custom 1 in the w/b menu at the bottom:

Reg Gain 140
    Green gain 78
    Blue gain 100

Red bias 123
    Green bias 128
    Blue bias 132

This seems to have improved things evenmore.

Enjoy

Cheers all

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Cheers matey :thumbsup:

Shall have a fiddle tonight.

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Done the setup and well impressed. Natural skin tones and excellent blacks. Cheers :smashin:

5. ThickBloke

ThickBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Lucky swine. Mine has been in the loft for 4 months. My wife ( :devil: ) said before long term placement the lounge needs full redecoration.

Hows things my friend (Jack Daws)

Justin

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sweet mate :thumbsup:

Wouldnt have thought that the HS50 was THAT much better than the HS20. Well impressed.

Luckily my wife does has I say :lesson:

Be down in a minute dearest............ :rolleyes:

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Hi Jack did you move from a HS20 to a HS50 ? What improvements did you find ?

8. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes mate.

Much, much better blacks. More natural looking picture showing more detail. Oh and very quiet :)

Dont get me wrong the HS20 is a fantastic machine and I wouldnt have gone out and bought one had my HS20 not been written off by Sony. Sony have been very kind and offered me a HS50 because of all the aggro I had with my HS20. I couldnt wait for Sony's machine to arrive (5-14 days), I have been without a PJ for 3 months :eek: . Luckily my neighbour wants one soon so he's having the one that Sony are sending me and I know a man who deals in them and had one in stock :D

9. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Jack, your system sounds almost identical to mine, except for the ax10is and I still have the hs20.

Can I ask how mucht he hs50 goes for and also what kind of physical size it is?

am tempted to upgrade and relocate the HS20 to a games room in the loft for dedicated GT4 play. No need for blackout when you don't have windows!

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Temptation is great but I want to see this Benq 7700 in action. I reckon it's going to be a battle between these two.

11. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got an hs50 on the weekend, quick setup (using vga from an htpc) - tried the settings above, decent improvement from the cinema mode (enough for my wife to notice - surely the ultimate test ;)

One thing, how black is black on it? I'm upgrading from a z1 and it's a huge improvement from that, but there's still light hitting the screen when it's supposed to be black.

I'm wondering if this is a calibration thing - i.e. my pc isn't sending black to the projector or the PJ itself. I'll sit down with DVE and see what I can do but was interested in what other people had found.

Btw. I've found that on the DLP's I've watched I still find the black bars annoyingly grey so maybe I'm super-sensitive to that. Soon I'll have my 2.35 constant height setup going so hopefully it'll be less of a problem.

Thanks,

SB

12. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there zero ambient light? What colour are your walls etc? You may find that its the lights reflected off the other walls bouncing back on the screen which you are noticing?

13. Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much trawling through AVS forums and other sites I'm now happy with the way that I've setup my HS50 - using a combination of info from the forums (fora?) and the PAL version of DVE.

I've set my projector up for DVD via component watching in a reasonably, though not perfect, light controlled room. If you're playing video games or inviting the mates over for regular sports nights these settings probably won't work for you

IMHO there are 2 types of adjustments - universal, that will benefit the vast majority of owners, and projector specific

The universal settings are:

Sharpness - minimum
    Picture mode - cinema
    RCP - off
    Hue - 50 (I don't think that this applies to the PAL system?)
    Black Level Adj - off
    Gamma correction - off
    Advanced Iris - auto
    Lamp control - low
    Colour temp - middle

The projector specific settings are:

Contrast - 78 for me though most have it in the 75 - 80 range so it's almost a universal
    Colour - 58 for me. I could never get the green filter to look right in the SMPTE colour bars of DVE, no matter what the setting, so I've bumped this up to add a little more colour though this is possibly too high for others (most are using 50)
    Brightness - 44 for me. This one is all over the place and, I think, will depend a lot on your DVD player. I had to set my Denon 2900 to the "lighter" dark setting (7.5 IRE I think?) in order to see the below black bars so my brightness will be a lot less than others using the 0 IRE

I've looked at the gain and bias settings in the service menu but I believe that these are best left to experienced tinkerers, not those who've just bought their first projector like me :)

Mine are:

Gain - 128, 32, 61
    Bias - 136,128,128

At the moment I'm using these settings for HD TV digital via HDMI as well as Foxtel PayTV (similar to Sky digital I think?) via component

For Xbox, or lots of people over for sports events, I use the above but turn the lamp to high and maybe the Picture mode up to std or dynamic

Cheers

Martin

14. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's quite a lot of reflected light and a small amount of streetlight in the room, but I'm using a screen without masking and I can see the difference between the projected area and not. I had a quick fiddle with brightness in theatertek yesterday and I can get the background pretty dark, so I guess that answers my question.

There's definitely still a slightly grey look to the background, but at the moment I'm projecting a 60" image and when I move the pj to the home cinema room 90" screen or 2.35 constant height equivilent I guess that the image is going to get a lot darker.