1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 owners who were VW10HT owners

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fraggle, Feb 16, 2005.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi all,

Still considering an upgrade :)

I removed the filter the other day from my old VW10HT which got rid of the over saturated whites and excessive light scatter (layer of crap build up on filter!!) but blacks not very black still annoy me.

Regarding brightness, how does the HS50 compare to the VW10HT? And is the contrast *that* much better?

I've also read Grahams comments about the optics on the HS50, in that in a large image the edges and/or corners are out of focus & have some optical abbhorations. Any one else noticed this on an 10' image?

I *really* need to find somewhere that'll loan me an HS50 and a Sharp 12k for a long weekend demoing :)

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I have a VW10HT and yes the blacks annoy me. UrbanT allowed us to demo his HS50 on two occassions. On both the blacks are fantastic - completely different league to the HT10. On both occassions I found the image to be darker than I am accustomed to. It may be an illusion however that my 10HT is brighter purely because the LCD panel lets more light through.

3. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks John.

I know the LCD panels on the 10HT are quite a bit larger than the HS50 (1.3" vs 0.7" IIRC) and yes I suppose that'd let more light through but its odd that the lumens output of the HS50 is 1200 and the 10HT is 1000... misleading figures :-(

I must say I'm happily ignorant/blind to dust problems. When removing the filter the other day I noticed there was quite a bit of dust on the inside of the lense but I've never noticed any problems with the projected image :)

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Dust is generally only noticeable when its on the LCD panels. Shows up in dark scenes as green blobs

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Had a demo of a Sanyo Z3 and a Yamaha 510 yesterday.

Z3 is very like the VW10HT, obviously grey blacks and also had sort of smearing of detail on movement (never seen on my 10HT), odd.

Yamaha 510 was better, but not £3500 better.

The shop didn't have any DLPs in to try out :( guess I'll have to find my next nearest AV shop with decent demo facilities.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I'm surprised to hear this. I came from a HS10 to a Z3 and the contrast is signifigantly better on the Z3, black level is also improved. On a dark scene with the HS10 I could easily see the buttons on my remotes, I can't with the Z3. I've never noticed any increase on smearing during movement from the Sony to the Z3 either. Perhaps the VW10HT has a faster response than either the Z3 or HS10.

7. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The only reason I noticed it is because its something I've never seen before.

Could be partially a fault of the DVD? Viewing exactly the same scene on the Yamaha 510 it was still present slightly but a lot better.

The scene was the end of chapter 3 in Pearl Harbour where the pilots getting a chewing out in the heads office. The texture on the skin on the faces has loads of detail when its still, then when it moves it blurs and heaps of detail vanishes until the face stops moving again. I'd expect some detail to dissapear but this was like watching something on a Sky channel using high compression?

I didn't spend any time really tweaking the projector settings as I went in there specifically to view a DLP and they had none, but thought I might as well waste half an hour seeing what modern LCDs are like :)