1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 Owners - Brightness on Small Screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by danatk, Apr 28, 2005.

1. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hope some of you HS50 owners can help me.

I had a panny ae700 which got nicked in a burglary. I'm now ready to buy a new PJ with the insurance money and can afford the HS50.

The main reason I'm looking at the HS50 is the complete absence of vertical banding reported on all the forums. This really annoyed me on the AE700 as it was particularly evident on sky sports football. I am also attacted to the quiet fan as my AE700 in ceiling mode was a bit noisy.

I can't find anywhere in London to demo the HS50 so I'm considering buying blind. My only concern is the brightness. My room layout forces me to project onto the chimney breast so the screen size is a measly 60" diagonal (I know, I know). I'm thinking that with this size screen I won't have much of a problem with the brightness. I certainly never had a problem in this regard with the AE700.

My room is quite well light controlled but I do often like to watch the PJ with a bit of ambient light in the room, e.g. during the day when some sunlight creeps in or in the evenings when we're eating or just don't feel like sitting in the pitch dark to watch something on TV.

dan.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Hi Dan,

I have 8 spot lights in my room, and quite often watch the football with the lights on, so I can read a magazine. Of course the colours start to wash out the more light your introduce (as with all PJ's), but its perfectly acceptable for casual viewing :)

3. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cool, thanks UrbanT.

How do you rate the HS50 overall for watching the footy on sky? This is one of the main reasons I have a PJ....the AE700 drove me nuts with the VB...particularly bad with a green football pitch and constant horizontal panning.

Dan.

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Dan...its very good. My old TX100 suffered VB worst when watching football because of the green pitch. I don't get this problem with the HS50. Unfortunately its just the poor Sky picture that lets the side down now :). Roll on hi-def!

Chris

5. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ok, nice one - i think i might be ready to place an order...

6. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a search here on the hs50, you will come up with plenty of opinions, but im sure its an excellent pj and you will be very happy.

although can i suggest you move house and get a bigger screen??? hs50 will cope with twice what you are using, which, by the laws of maths, will give you 4x viewing area!!!

7. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    yeah i know i need a bigger screen, although even the 60" diagonal provides a pretty good home cinema experience. it's definitely not just a big TV.

i could put a bigger screen in my room but this would mean mounting it across the chimney breast with the ends sticking out at either side. I think this would look a bit odd and the missus would probalby flip out.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Could you make the Chimney breast wider?

Or flip the missus out the door?

:D ...PJ

9. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    mate, i have sat and stared at that chimney breast for more hours than is healthy trying to work out a way to hang a decent sized screen. the problem is compounded by the fact that it's a victorian house so the ceilings are quite high, so not possible to mount the screen flush to the ceiling (unless I had a four foot drop to the top of the screen which would look ridiculous i think).

I've thought about widening the chimney breast but that would be a big job and might make the room look very strange as the alcoves at each side would then be quite small.

It's not possible to extend the chimney breast all the way to the other walls, effectively making a new flat wall, because on one side there are french doors with a big wooden surround.

I've thought about buidling some kind of 'thing' that comes down from the ceiling around the chimney breast and housing an electric screen in it but this would probably look strange too.

I could flip the missus out the door but she is quite fit and I might miss her, even with a 120" screen for company. :)

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    hmmm... quite fit missus.. that is a problem! :D

well, presuming rearrangement of the room to utilise other walls is out, it looks like you'll need to stick with 60"... which is not too bad vs a 42" plasma!

Good luck with it all...PJ :thumbsup:

11. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks, and yes, this is the conclusion i've come to although when i get my digicam replaced next week i might take a photo of the room and post it up here to see if anyone has any suggestions...

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Why not do what my friend has done. Make a fixed framed screen the size you want, with mounting screws on the chimney breast. When you want to watch a film, you hang the screen. When you've finished, store the screen away in a box room/under the bed etc, and hang a picture in its place (on the same screws)

13. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    yeah, i have thought about that but it seems a bit cumbersome, and I know I would just end up leaving the screen up there all the time which would lead to me getting pelted with food/ornaments etc by the missus.

it is on the shortlist of solutions, which looks like this:

1. install a roll-down screen, and just get used to it sticking out either side of the chimney breast.

2. make a fixed screen and hang it when required

3. widen the chimney breast

4. mount a shelf in each alcove at the same height as the screen case so that this creates a kind of continuation into the alcoves...put some ornaments or uplighters on the shelves.

5. build some kind of arrangement around the chimney breast to house the screen discretely.

6. forget the whole thing and stick with 60" diagonal

I quite like option 4 but I still think it might look a bit weird, and with the price of screens and the work involved in mounting it will be expensive to find out!

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You forgot
    7. post pics of room on forum and see if anyone can come up with ideas which pass WAF!

:) ...PJ

15. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

yeah, will do next week. the burglars took my digicam too so I have to wait for the insurance dudes to replace it.

16. pave

pave
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  17. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    yeah that's where i bought my panny - didn't think they stocked the sonys, but i will give them a ring.

cheers
    dan.

18. pave

pave
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    If you have no luck,you are welcome to come round and have a look at mine,i live near heathrow airport,stanwell,not far from west london

19. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cheers mate, I am doing some work for BA at the moment and might have to pop over to Heathrow in the next week or two so if I don't have any luck in the meantime I might take you up on that.

I just spoke to krish and they haven't got any stock but are checking with sony as some are supposed to be arriving at the distribution centre tomorrow.

20. ninc0

ninc0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with what UrbanT says.

The HS50 is bright enough to watch in a room with some ambient light present. Although for the ultimate picture total darkness is best.

Plus there are different settings for bulb output and brightness to have it exactly how you like it... :thumbsup:

21. STR

STR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi danatk,

I was in a similar position as yourself, that is needing to project towards a chimney breast but at the same time meeting with WAF. She was also not keen on the idea of a screen that protruded beyond the edge of the chimney, and TBH nor was I.

My solution in the end was similar to that of one given by UrbanT, but instead of using a fixed screen, I use a 7ft (diagonal) Oray 2000 manual pull down (not the greatest of screens, but OK for the moment). The reason I chose this screen is that it has adjustable mounting brackets on the rear of the case, and it's also reasonably cheap. On the chimney breast I have mounted two decorative wall brackets (hanging basket type), about 4" from the side and 8" from the ceiling, then slid the screen mounting hangers inwards to match the measurements of the wall brackets, then just hook the screen on when in use. When not in use my wife hangs two candle holders, or two small hanging pot plants from the wall brackets.

Coincidentally I too use an HS50, so if your ever in the area, your more than welcome to take a look.

Hope this might be of some help.

Cheers

Simon.

22. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks guys - i think i've made my mind up to get the HS50.

STR: good advice....although I still don't know exactly what to do about the screen. My diagonal is actually 70" on the chimney breast not 60" as previously stated so things aren't too bad. I would like a bigger screen though, but not sure if it's really worth the hassle. Another factor is that at 70" diagonal I am exactly 1.8x screen width to my viewing position. From what I've read about the HS50 this seems to be a good distance - any closer and SDE might appear. Can anyone verify?

23. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Haven't seen any screendoor on the HS50 yet, thats from 1.5x distance. Have seen it on previous 3 PJ's so know the artefact well. 1.8x should be fine

24. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    agreed....i saw the HS50 today at Kris AV and was suitably impressed...an excellent picture all round. I watched about ten minutes of Gladiator on component input and the black level and contrast were superb. Most importantly for me there was no VB whatsover :clap: . Screen Door was present standing close to the screen but invisible from any normal viewing distance.

As for the brightness (which was my only real concern going into the demo) I have to say that I didn't think there was any problem in this department. I was expecting to think that it was noticably dimmer than the AE-700 but that was not the case. There is quite a bit of ambient light in the Kris demo room but the image was still very watchable. Maybe if I'd seen the AE-700 alongside in an A/B test the difference would have been obvious, but for me all that was important was to see a satisfactory level of brightness which was certainly the case.

The only thing that stopped my buying there and then was that they wanted £1800 and Gultronics are asking £1500. Not sure on availability but for the sake of £300 I'm willing to wait a few weeks if necessary.

25. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Got my HS50 yesterday :thumbsup: £1514 delivered next day AM from Gultronics.

On first impressions after a night of fiddling around with the machine I am completely satisfied - the picture is fantastic from every source I've tried so far....particularly stunning from my laptop.

We'll have to see how it goes over the next few weeks but so far I am much more pleased with the HS50 than the AE700 - it's just a classier machine all round. Superior black level, contrast, no VB, extremely quiet fan even in ceiling mode, cool menu system, excellent lens shift, nice remote....the list goes on.

I'm going to tweak the settings a bit tonight. Does anyone have any recommendations? I couldn't find a tweak thread anywhere....