hs50 or ae700 blind?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mickey, Dec 14, 2004.

1. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    ok guys Pop quiz!
    which would you buy blind?

sony hs50 £1595.00
    or
    panasonic £1295.00

a bit worried about the white flash with hdmi on the ae700 this would really make me bin it :eek: ,as i have owned a ae500 and the picture was definately better with dvi than component even though component was pretty awesome , so which would you risk?

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,675
    I presume there's a reason you aren't considering the Sanyo Z3 then?

Andy.

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    mickey - Hi :)

Given my experience with PJs I wouldn't buy either "blind" ;)

However... I have demoed the Sony and I think I've been persuaded. The Sony can be had for £1499.99 + del. and the Panny for about £1199.00 + del... when of course they're in stock! Having said that, there are definite advantages in buying from a respected source - the "our sponsors" tab at the top of this page has a list of such sources.

I've owned the Sanyo Z3 and it's a nice PJ, especially given the fact that it comes with a special dust removing system, newly updated firmware, good after sales back up and a three year warranty. It also has a vertical banding adjustment, but this is probably only one twelfth as good as you would want it to be.

You can read in depth reviews of the Panny and Z3 at Cine4home's website (take a look at my thread for translation tools), and there's a reasonably detailed review of the Sony here

All the reviews and advice in the world, though, will be unlikely to come close to a "good" demo ;)

Hope that helps... let us know what you decide :)

All the best,

Mark

4. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    thanks guys have read reviews but you cant beat real world opinions (owners or people who have actually seen them running)

zandy1 most of the posts i have seen have been not exactly glorious about the z3 , lockups, predator mode?, and the fact most peope seem to say the only way to get a really decent pic is by htpc and pixel mapping which i dont want to go near , i just want to connect a dvi capable dvd player to it and away i go. all normal viewing goes through my crt tv, pj is for movies ONLY.

sigismund are you saying you would buy the hs50 over your z3? £1499.00 +del is that in stock? and where? same for the panny is that in stock £1199.00+del,

both my prices are for items in stock, cheers guys

P:S i have seen the hs50 screen pics by tonemaster of i-robot but they dont really impress me but that could be the camera pics they look so processed and undetailed ( if that,s a word :) )

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What about the Hitachi tx100. (£1000)
    A lot of happy owners out there, check out some pics on UrbanT's web page www.f-directions.co.uk
    Not that pics say much.
    Azzo

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Firstly, the people (myself included) on this forum who have said that pq from component on the Z3 is not that impressive are HCPC people. I do not think that I would be impressed with any projector in this price range unless fed from a PC. What I might find unacceptable, you may find to be stunning. The difference between the Z3 and Panny is aparantly very little. I would imagine that features such as throw, lense shift, warranty and dust removal would play a more important part in your decision. Also vertical banding is supposed to be less on the Z3. Again this is impossible to judge from others opinions as what I may find unacceptable, others may not even notice. The locking up/predator look has been fixed and is no longer an issue. Sanyo support is excellent, as they are replacing my 120 hour pj with a new one because of this problem.

If you consider the Sony, there is a problem feeding it 720p through HDMI and component. The full pannel is not used with blanking all around the image. This means 1:1 pixel mapping is not possible and you are not getting the use of all the pixels your hard earned money went to for.

Don't trust screenshots, they are useless, just a bit of fun really.

HTH

Conor

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Screenshots are totally useless for comparative purposes. They are not a Demo.