1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 cine4home latest

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Drew C, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The latest part of the HS50 review is up on cine4home.de.
    Seems to be focusing on the actual performance, but can't seem to translate the page at the mo, babelfish gives up half way.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Read the review earlier today - excellent stuff, and a ringing endorsement for the HS50 I think. The quality of Eckhard's reviews is really excellent, and from a source with no bias or interest in promoting or pushing any particular brand. :smashin:

I've been having funy results with babelfish too, but www.online-translator.com (Click Here did an excellent job.

Sean G.

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Very good review with key points being:

Iris works very effectively to give good blacks and copes with sudden contrast changes.

Colour fidelity is very good.

Screendoor is likely to be worse than projectors using Epson LCD panels due to the pixels being rounded as opposed to square. Recommended viewing distance is therefore twice the width of the screen.

Overscan - this is its biggest weakness. Through component inputs you will lose anything from 20 to 40 pixels dependant on type of input ie 576\720\1080. And you cant change it! Through VGA though this isnt an issue. HDMI uses 5 pixel blanking.

Scaling - hardly any discernable difference between analog or digital.

Here is their good points\bad points (copied and pasted):

+ good processing
    + Big installation flexibility
    + Quiet ventilating
    + High contrast
    + Little LCD-Artefakte
    + Very good detailed representation
    + Many set parameters
    + Functioning film fashion PAL

- visible pixel structure
    - To big Overscan (576p) or Blanking (720p)
    - Few direct functions of the remote control

4. Gillmonster

Gillmonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this link translates the page

http://www.online-translator.com/ur...&transliterate=on&psubmit2.x=40&psubmit2.y=13

A bit confused about this overscan thing and 1:1 pixeling . Can anyone explain it in simple non tech language. Will it be fixed in future ie by updating firmware or is this not possible? How has the problem arisen in the first place. Will it be solved by using a HTPC as indicated in the review.

Anyway I'm buying one now. Enough is enough and no price movement recently so £1.5k is prob the best I'll do

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Overscan:
    An input of 720 should give 720 pixels high, in theory. On component inputs the assumption is made that part of that 720 structure (top, bottom) is likely to be made up of data - ie for teletext (UK thing) etc.
    I also have some DVDs that have side edges that are scraggy - the overscan horizontally would get rid of these.

So Sony effectively scale the picture bigger than the lcd panel to get rid of these. Most manufacturers do to some degree - in this case Sony just go over the top.

On my Sony 10HT a 1080i feed gives approx 8% overscan. Thats 8% of my picture I should be seeing lost.

I cant see it being fixed - Sony have always done this.

1:1 pixel mapping can only being achieved by VGA.

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder why they use rouded pixels? This is a big issue for me as I want the biggest pic possible from my viewing distance of 8 foot. As my pic with my Z3 is acceptable at 5.5 foot accross this means I would only have a 4 foot pic with this? Not the upgrade I was looking for!

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I wouldn't worry about the pixel thing to be honest. I have a 6 foot screen and I am 8 feet from it and I cant see the pixel structure of my aging Sont HT10. But then some people see screendoor easier\more than others.

8. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just fully read the review it sounds like the best projector of the main three new models people would consider (out of the Z3 Ae700 and HS50) But personally the plus points of the Z3 still outweight it for me. If I increase my screen size on the Z3 just 1 inch more then I can see the pixel structure so as the HS50 is the same rez and has rounder pixels then I would have to have a smaller size screen. It is a shame they didnt use their HS20 panels as that would of been the icing on the cake.

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Something is very odd.

There are certain films I use to show screendoor, namely the cloudy scenes at the opening of AOTC, and on the jackets and door of the hut at the beginning of Day After Tomorrow.

The Sony is the first projector where I can't see it, and therefore one of the reasons I was so delighted with it. I sit 1.5x away from the screen.

:confused:

10. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is weird? On the one hand I have always found the cine4home to be the most interesting and non biased reviews. On the other I have no reason to disbelieve UrbanT. Just goes to show you should always dem before buying if possible.

In the same veign People said they couldnt see VB on the Sanyo Z3, strangely I can see it on Sky pictures but not on DVD both through my HTPC.

How bigs your projected picture UrbanT?

Robert.

11. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Hi Robert,

7ft wide

12. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I have seen UrbanT's setup as well and can confirm the screendoor can not be seen.

13. prof yaffle

prof yaffle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Am thinking of getting a HS50 & partnering with a scaler; probably a Lumagen. Have read about the HDMI blanking issues & so will probably avoid using that for now.

Would be grateful if anyone running pixel matched (either scaler or HCPC - UrbanT?) into the VGA analogue input could confirm that there are no unpleasant issues with this?? Specifically, can you run 1280x720 at both 50Hz & 60Hz & avoid motion judder nasties for both R1 & R2 DVDs and also Sky? Also, am I right in saying that you have to run at a PC-like 1280x720 (WXGA?) rather than a TV-like 720p to avoid the blanking issue?

Any advice appreciated; thanks.

14. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Hi there,

You are correct, I simply run VGA from HCPC to Sony, desktop set at the standard ATI 1280 x 720, 60hz, and have perfect pixel mapping.

I watch Sky, fed from Scart into a Sweetspot (RGB) capture card, and use Dscaler to display the result.

I run both NTSC and PAL discs into the system, and see no stutter in either material, or Sky, all at 60hz.

I can provide further information at the weekend, as Drummerjohn has also asked the question about 50hz settings. Having never used Powerstrip, loading it up I found it irritating ( :blush: ) to try and setup, so gave up. Fortunately John lives locally so is popping over on Friday to run some experiments with 50hz settings, and I'm sure would be happy to post his findings on Saturday.

Chris :)

15. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Projector- Infocus Screenplay 4805
    I have absolutely no expertise in HTPCs although I do own a PC with a fairly good spec. I am currently using a dvd player with component set to interlaced output ( it does have prog scan but find the 4805's Faroudja does a better job) but I find the picture could do with being slightly sharper( not sharper by using the sharpness adjustment which just increases noise but using a higher resolution signal to start) so I was thinking of buying a DVD player with DVI and sending the signal through that. Then I came across this site: http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1
    and downloaded the suggested programmes and then connected my 4805 via the supplied M1-DA to VGA cable to my PC and used the Zoom Player Pro with FFDShow and PowerDVD and sent it as 1:1 pixel mapping. It can also upscale the signal to any resolution you wish up to 1080 as does the new crop of DVI/HDMI DVD players such as the Denon DVD-1910/2910 and 3910 as well as the Samsung HD-745/945. I have yet to try these modes but will report back when I have ( after tonight) but going on just what I have tried, the picture is soooooo much sharper, and I mean SHARPER ! edges are much more defined without the noise the sharpeness button on the projector introduces.

Basically what I'm saying is if you have a decent PC, try using it on your projector before running out and spending a fortune on a DVD player.

16. johnnyhaynes

johnnyhaynes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have read the article on the attached web site and am considering using this method to the VGA input on a HS50.
    Am I correct in assuming that the blanking issues associated with the hS50 will now be avoided?

17. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Yes, using your PC via the VGA input means you have no blanking issues, either at 50 or 60hz