1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 & Arcam DV88 - Help PJ newbie!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by onefivenine, Jan 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Hi Folks,

I'm on the brink of buying my first PJ - Sony HS50 - but I could use some advice... I've done a lot of digging about in this forum but I'm a PJ newbie.
    It seems that most folk are using HDMI/DVI feeds with the HS50... but hopefully someone can help.

To start with I'll be using a component RGB connection from the Arcam DV88.

My main question questions is, would I realise any benefit from getting a progressive scan upgrade for this player, for a progressive (component) feed? (My other option could be a second-hand DV88P which may work out to be in the same price ballpark as the £350 upgrade).

I have to admit I'm still confused by all the different progressive settings - 575's, 576's, 720's etc etc. - and am not sure if any of these are a factor. Do these settings apply to progressive component or are they specific to HDMI/DVI?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    From my limited knowledge of these things, progressive does not influence resolution, instead it's a more proficient way of painting the screen - analogous to the difference between 50Hz and 100Hz TV's.

The 576's , 720's etc are related to HDMI/DVI in terms of resolution. Remember a DVD will only output 576 lines (or 480 for NTSC) so HDMI/DVI won't buy you more resolution from DVD's, what it will get you is potentially cleaner images (because there's no D/A and A/D conversion) and the ability to scale the image to a higher res outside the projector (eg HTPC or some high end DVD players)....PJ

3. Blue2

Blue2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using interlaced component video from a 2910 gives a better image quality on the HS50, than the progresive signal. maybe something to do with the built in de-interlacer in the HS50 being better than the encoding/decoding for the progresive scan. That is my experience anyway!

b

4. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Thanks guys I think I'll probably forget about the DV88 upgrade for now, and go HDMI some point in the future.

When it comes to lens shift, am I right in thinking that using no lens shift will result in the least distortion?

In the case of the HS50, when it's set to default (i.e. no vertical or horiz lens shift), is the centre of the lens at the same height as the vertical centre of the screen?

(Need to finalise the placement of the HS50.)

5. Blue2

Blue2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lens shift on the HS50 seems very good (optically), no distortion due to that as far as i can tell. Worth checking the pixel alignment though, it is about 1.5 pixels out on mine, gives white text on black background a purple bottom and green top. Irritating on a pj of this price as it is just a mechanical alignment issue during manufacture. Not really noticable from viewing distance though.

You could try running it off a laptop/desktop for whatching dvds, mine looks great just using an old VGA lead, some documentary dvds (higher compression than films?) even look as good as on the 2910 using component.

b