1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50.. anybody worried about insufficient cooling?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    My new HS50 is fab, and it is extremely quiet!!

Having owned a Sony VW11 and HS20 previously, I recognise the sound of the fan as being of the same type... just running at a slower speed.

The thing is, the top of the unit can get quite warm, even whilst it is ceiling mounted. And if it is ceiling mounted, hot air should actually rise to the bottom of the unit so it must be really, really hot inside.

I can't help wondering if Sony have slowed down the fans to acheive a more marketable noise level (24db), at the expense of possible overheating.

Last night, I got a little concerned with central heating on, and decided to change the HS50 to 'high altitude' mode so that the fans run quicker.
    But of course, then the noise level increased to around 33db.

I don't want to have to wear woolly jumpers to watch a film just because the HS50 objects to central heating!
    Am I worrying unnecessarily, or has anyone else noticed how warm the HS50 gets with little apparent air flow?

2. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jules, i don't have an hs50 yet, still trying to sell my hs20, but i would reccomend high altitude mode. i have run this on every projector i have owned, and i can say with absolute certainty that it will be a lot longer before you see any discolouration in the polarizers. Like you i believe that they make the fans quieter because that's what the consumer wants, at the cost of earlier deteriation, lets face it not many people use them every day for the first year i.e warrenty period, therefore if or should i say when discolouration is evident, the consumer has to pay for repairs to be done. therefore the manufacturer wins both times.. 1. they sell more projectors because they are among the quietest and 2. the odd person that does notice any polarizer deteriation will have to pay for it to be repaired after the warranty has expired.

all the best... splice ;)

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    live life, be optimistic, enjoy quiet fans
    ...PJ ;)

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jules,

The cine4home review of the HS50 showed that the projector has two separate air paths, one ofr the lamp and another for the optics - care in the design here has, no doubt, something to do with the quietness of the projector, which doesn't have to be noisy to be appropriately cooled.

Splice,

I agree that reasonable care should be taken not to run a projector in excessively heated conditions - this can be exacerbated when a pj is ceiling mounted because the air at the level of the ceiling will be significantly warmer than the rest of the air in a room, all other things being equal. AFAIK, it's the light itself which causes the breakdown in the organic materials used to coat certain blue polarisers, as opposed to heat alone - but excessive heat is not good for the optical path in general in any case.

PJTX100,

Yawn.......

Sean G.