1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS50 and Halo 2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dwayne Dibley, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Had my PJ for about 10 days now and am very impressed with it (that is stating it very mildly!! :D ).... it seems to handle everthing I chuck at it (currently via S-Video) except Halo 2, the picture is way too dark making it unplayable.

Has anyone else had this problem? and have you managed to find a fix?

TIA.

2. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Why s-video?

half life 2 works fine, it's also dark and moody, via component and dvi

Use the gamma setting to raise the dark detail retrieval, set it at 3

Your brightness control governs black levels, try readjusting with gamma at 3, and set the auto iris to off, which reduces the contrast but gives a brighter picture compared to auto

Save the setting to one of your presets as they will look rubbish with dvds etc

Hope this helps

3. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks for the reply Mike....

I'm using S-video at the moment because I haven't got anything else yet!!! I can't make up my mind whether to go the HTPC route or buy a HDMI DVD player or or or.....

As for settings, yes I've changed the gamma setting to 3 and turned the iris off and also turned the color, brightness and sharpness up for good measure and saved them in User 3. This has made night scenes in Project Gotham a lot brighter but hasn't made a jot of difference on Halo 2. :rolleyes:

Suppose I could try the component route next.... tho I've not been able to find a suitable cable to go from the Xbox to the PJ (with an optical out), the only one I've seen on Lik-Sang appears to be for NTSC only.

4. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

The Lik-Sang one is the official MS one, and is compatible with UK PAL Xbox's. I have one, got mine from WhiteDog.co.uk, delivered in a couple of days. If you do get your XBOX connected by component, you must get it modded, either soft or a hard chip mod, to output a progressive signal, that will improve the picture significantly. don't get me wrong, you can just use component using an ummodded PAL XBOX quitew easily, and it will look good. But progressive output looks better :) As for how to mod, see the console games forums, there are hundreds of threads on that.

Hope that helps

Andy

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    'Game' sells a component cable for the Xbox for a very decent £9.99. Admittedly it only has phono out for the sound but if you have an amp with Pro-Logic 2 then you may find the massive improvement in picture quality is enough. I am more than happy to have Pro Logic 2 running and the improvement in PQ is endlessly better.

6. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dont know if you can do it on halo 2 but on Rainbow 6 (or maybe in your xbox settings)you can turn the brightness up in the options, nothing to do with your PJ, have a look you may be lucky

7. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    LFC, wasn't aware of that, thanks a bunch...
    ...as for the modding biz, not sure about that, as I still wanna get on Live.

Cheers Oakley. Problem is I want it all!!!! ie decent PQ and 5.1. Have experienced 5.1 on Halo 2 and it's the dogs!

Dazca thanks for that... not sure if there is such an option on Halo 2 but am keeping fingers crossed 'til I try tonight.

8. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    .... problem is now resolved.... thanks Dazca :thumbsup: , at your suggestion I had a look at the settings on my xbox, seems it was set to PAL60!!!
    I've been playing with it set like that since gawd knows how long. I do feel a bit of a twonk, but albeit a much happier twonk!

9. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Not wanting to start yet another modding thread :) but, soft-modding will not stop you playing on LIVE in anyway. I've had mine done for a few weeks now since I got my projector, and last Friday was online on Halo 2 till 03:45 in the morning :smashin:

10. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Talking of twonks I did tell you that the lik-sang supplied hi-def cable is the M$ one about a month ago (at work)!

I originally bought the gamester cable from game and it improved the picture quality to my Z2 but I still wasn't happy with the image mainly due to H2 being dark. So I then bought the M$ hi-def kit one: http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=53&products_id=1742&img=xbox-high_def_av

This improved matters considerably the results of which you have seen Dwayne!

Hope that reminder helps. :)

11. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The gamester kit is alright for standard resolutions, has optical out as well, gives your component output and composite so you can have projector and tv connected at the same time and swap between them at the flick of a switch on the box.
    halo 2, i had to crank up the brightness to play, was just too flippin dark!!