1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hs3 to replace TV?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frederic, Oct 20, 2003.

1. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to use the sony hs3 (pre-ordered) to watch TV. Anyone knows if it will be ok? Of course, there would be quite a bit of light in my living room during daytime.

Will the 16:9 format of the pj work with the satellite?
    It looks like all latests pjs are 16:9 anyway.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't believe that a projector is a viable "replacement" for TV - ymmv. For decent performance (picture quality etc.,) projectors need light control - the darkest "black" your projector can display is the level of light which is reflected from the screen when the projector is not turned on. In normal living-room lighting conditions, you'll probably find that the picture will be pretty washed out - during normal daytime lighing conditions it will be worse - unwatchable in either event, imo.

Sorry if this seems negative - just calling it as I see it................

Sean G.

3. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the cinema black pro function? The brightness can be either 750 lumens (when on) or 1200 lumens. Wouldn't that help?

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    frederic the HS3 will not be a viable alternative to a normal TV in daylight conditions. Even 1200 lumens are not good enough for daylight viewing. We are not condemning the HS3 but I think you are just trying to use it for the wrong thing. Fish out of water and all that ...:rolleyes:

5. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to project on screen which is 67 inch in width. So not massive. Wouldn't that increase the picture quality? As you realise, I am new to this game...

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No I do not think it will. Honestly I think you are trying to knock a screw in with a hammer, a projector is just not the tool for the job....:smoke:

7. Robbie Gnome

Robbie Gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Frederic, browsing round the LCD Forum and saw another of your posts. Have been running an HS-2 now for over 8 months as PRIMARY screen .... Including watching Eastenders !!!! My girlfriends choice not mine and if your careful where you hang the screen you will only suffer marginal image quality loss during the day. Try hanging the screen in front of the main window in your living room, this will double up as a blackout blind as well as a screen. Every person who has watched TV and films round ours during the day have commented on how clear the picture is. If you have more than one window in your living room a traditional blackout blind might be in order.

From your later posts I know you have gone ahead and ordered a HS-3, let me re-assure you, with a bit of thought you will get great results even in daylight.

8. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your feedback Robbie. The main reason why I decided to go for the HS3 is that a friend did exactly the same as you, and uses the pj as his TV. I've not seen the tv work on it in daylight but he's very happy with it, just like you.