1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS20, z2, AE300 or Something Else???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by terminal santa, Jan 19, 2004.

1. terminal santa

terminal santa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks

Total Newbie here - i guess you guys (and girls) get this all the time, but would be really grateful of your collective advice.

Been playing with buying a pj for a while and finally summoned up the financial courage to do it but a little uncertain of the model to go for.

Went for a demo of the HS20 before xmas and was blown away, but it is £800 (or thereabouts) more than the z2.

I will be using it in a non dedicated environment (not perfectly light controlled), with a pull down screen in front of my TV, behind which are my bay windows, and looking at projecting an image about 2.3m diag widescreen from a distance of about 4 meters.

Would be interested to hear your recommendations on the above projectors - or whether there is a model i am missing out on...and suggestions for a good dealer mail order or high street who be competitive but also provide a good standard of service.

Hope you folks can help...

Cheers

Matt

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I upgraded from an AE300 to a Z2, so I guess that shows my preference. :) .. the Z2 produces an undoubtedly better picture, largely due to its' superior contrast, meaning darker blacks. The lens shift function is also very, very handy in allowing a degree of flexibility in positioning it.

The HS20 is probably better than the Z2, on paper at least, though one would need to side-by-side compare.

One potential problem you'll have with the Z2 is your ambient light, at only 800 lumens, and a LOT less in reality, it doesn't tolerate ambient light very well and quickly washes out. I use a 92" screen, so something around 80" as you're looking at would improve things somewhat but not by an order of magnitude.

I have little experience beyond the AE300 and Z2, but from my reading I think you'll need a projector with a more powerful lamp, say 1000 lumens at least, if you want to try to overcome any light leakage. Depending on circumstances you may want to consider a blackout blind, from IKEA for instance, to help control light.

As for dealers, there are several people here use and recommend, personally I've used AV-Sales and DiscountElectrical, both forum sponsors, and had excellent service from both also Peter Tyson. Other very popular dealers are Nexnix, Ivojo for on-line sales. You'll get many other suggestions. :)

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The questions we are all asking at the moment.

The model you are missing is the AE-500. It's priced around the same as the Z2 and has similar performance. This has my vote over the Z2 at the moment.

Or you could wait for the Sony VP12 to come down in price when the VP13 comes out or the HS20 to drop in price when the HS30 comes out. :rotfl:

My, my, how spoilt for choice we are.

4. terminal santa

terminal santa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help - better get some blackout curtains!!

Just seen some posts regarding AE500 - any ideas how this performs in comparison?

Cheers

Matt

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For a comparison between the Z2 and AE500 have a read of this ProjectorCentral comparative review .. basically they think they're pretty evenly matched, though each has one or two advantages over the other. I chose the Z2 for Lens Shift, that was important to me, others will choose the 500 for other reasons.

6. terminal santa

terminal santa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BadAss - beat me to it :)

Have you had chance to try the z2 v AE500 - would be interested to find out about and pro's / con's

Cheers

Matt

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Also consider entry DLP system (if you dont see rainbows) H56 from optoma is due another price drop soon from current £2200 i would uess to £1800 ish.

8. terminal santa

terminal santa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Humm

DLP, never really considered it, but then again never seen it :(, wouldn't know the rainbow effect if it smacked me in the eyes (although gather it is artifect caused by spinning colour wheel)

** Note to self : must get to see DLP before buying **

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You will know if you see it mate, I never have and i have seen a few DLP's Some people see them on all DLP's Major minority though!

10. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ive seen them on a Sim200.

Its when you get a dark fast moving object on a lighter coloured background or vice verser, you see the colours fragment along the contrasting edge. Like a rainbow.

These days with faster spinning wheels the effect is unnoticable.