HS20 what is the distance range for a 10ft image?

Mark Ward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me how to work out the distance from the screen a Sony HS20 needs to be to throw a 10ft wide image?

I understand there is a range that can be used because of the optical zoom. I have a bar traversing the room that I'm hoping will fall within this range.

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

17.5' to 21.1'

(according to projectorcentral.com)

Re:- 10ft Image Width
17.5' to 21.1'

This distance range is not ideal for me at all, it falls between 2 horizontal struts that I could use to suspend the PJ from.

I've been doing a bit of research and I read read in a review (at projectorscentral.com;)) that Sony can supply with an option Short Throw or Long Throw lens at extra cost.

Does anyone have any idea by how much this would affect the throw distance. Because I'm going for a big screen I don't think using a long throw would be a good idea due to dimiinshed brightness, but a short throw could work nicely.

Do these short throw lenses have any impact on image quality? I'm thinking they may slightly "Fish-eye" the projected image.

Sony's website doesn't even show the HS20 yet so can't gain any info there.

Cheers,

Mark.

You'll pay nearly half the price of a HS20 for a short throw lens :eek:

I wouldn't worry about the brightness vs long throw issue - the HS20 is plenty bright enough at any distance :D

:smoke:

Looks like it'll be cheaper to make a bracket that'll run between the 2 struts.

I rang Sony aboy the short throw lens, the HS20 isn't on their website yet:rolleyes: , and they told me that the short throw lens isn't available in the UK, only for certain european countries. They therefore could tell me what the throw distance would be.

I then rang Sony in the Netherlands who told me that the throw distance for 3M with a short throw lens would be 3.9M optimum, which would be just about right for me....However I forgot to ask the price:suicide:

I really wanted to buy WITH the short throwlens, not buy here and import a lens leaving me with the original lens I don't need. Yep, looks like the standard one will be the only option if it's to be HS20.

Still.... those AE500 prices look pretty tempting too. I'd be interested in seeing an AE500 vs HS20 shoot-out. Bang for bucks I'm not sure whether the HS20 will be worth the extra money.

Cheers,

Mark.

Still.... those AE500 prices look pretty tempting too. I'd be interested in seeing an AE500 vs HS20 shoot-out. Bang for bucks I'm not sure whether the HS20 will be worth the extra money.

Aye, I'd love to see a shootout of say, the top 5 or so projectors that seem to be on everyones shortlist.

I don't suppose there are any AE500, HS20, Z2 etc. etc. owners that fancy bringing their beast along to some kind of shootout? Ideally somewhere southish? :)

Mark, the HS20 manual has throw info for the extra lens at the back I think. They are rather expensive, I think most folks get them 2nd hand on the rare occation they appear on ebay etc (I think it's the same as the HS10 lens, but do check! ;) ). I'm not certain but I think they screw on the front of the standard lens rather then replace it.

AVS has had a couple of shootouts with the HS20 + others I believe. Shorter throws can be handy for cabling, depending which end of the room your gear is at.

I don't suppose there are any AE500, HS20, Z2 etc. etc. owners that fancy bringing their beast along to some kind of shootout? Ideally somewhere southish?

Somewhere in Kent perhaps with a really large HT room with total light control that can project the image up to 10ft???:devil: :laugh:

Mark.

Kent would work for me, you know anywhere Mark? ;)

Hi mark,

I have a short throw lens for my hs10 and I believe its hs20 compliant.
I purchased from bnotions for a few hundred quid plus import duties.Give them a try Bryant is very helpful.
I can confirm that the lens dosn't degrade the image a great deal if at all.(with without tests done by myself)

I'm in the Middle of building an extension at the moment which will include a new homecinema room.
If you can hang on I may not then need my short throw lens and would be willing to sell it to you.]

Price japan also do the lens around £620+dutiesinfo here and here

Kent would work for me, you know anywhere Mark?
I'll have a think if there's anywhere around here;)

I have a short throw lens for my hs10 and I believe its hs20 compliant....I'm in the Middle of building an extension at the moment which will include a new homecinema room.
If you can hang on I may not then need my short throw lens and would be willing to sell it to you.
OK, thanks, do let me know, and if my PJ isn't up with the regular lens by then I'm sure I'd be interested in your lens.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Didnt you use to have a crt pj? if so, i'd be interested why you changed? i thought most people who had crt pj's wouldnt go back to lcd/dlp

Didnt you use to have a crt pj? if so, i'd be interested why you changed? i thought most people who had crt pj's wouldnt go back to lcd/dlp
I still do have a CRT. I'm researching the best replacement for my current needs.

Main reason for me deciding to move away from CRT is room logistics. My room is 18ft tall and suspending a 100kg CRT is proving more difficult than anticipated. An LCD, DLP or D-ILA wouldn't be nearly as difficult. I'm currently floor mounted but this really doesn't work for me as I don't think it gives the right "feel" to the room being sat behind a whopping great PJ. I also need to lay 100Sq/Yds of carpet in there and I don't want to ruin that by putting a heavy PJ on top of it.

Configuration simplicity also appeals to me too.

Other reasons include my kids, they watch a LOT of TV that has channel ident graphics that could create tube burn over time now that they have started to use the HT room without me, I can just imagine them leaving it turned on, going off to do something esle and forgetting about it, leaving me with an indelibily visible pair of mouse ears on dark scenes for ever more.

Last reason is that I'd like to be able to play X-Box games in the room and CRTs aren't ideal for this, also to do with maintaining tube condition.

I think that whilst there will inevitabley be a drop in PQ, it's not as bad as it was with the last generation of LCDs and things will only improve from here.

That said, I spent the weekend tweaking my CRT and am very happy with the current picture.... It could be I end up waiting another generation!:rolleyes:

Mark.

Thanks for taking the time to reply mark, i knew there was a reason not to have kids lol. i dont even trust the other half with my cinema stuff(lol) dont think she even knows what to switch on.have you considered the sim2 products, maybe on par (almost) with your crt and longer bulb life as well. the domino is only 3.5 k, a cheap personal loan would be payed off by the time the pj needed a new bulb.

Have you considered the sim2 products, maybe on par (almost) with your crt and longer bulb life as well. the domino is only 3.5 k, a cheap personal loan would be payed off by the time the pj needed a new bulb.

I haven't really looked at the Sim2 offerings. I realise that LCD/DLP technology is moving along at a pace that means todays hot PJ is tomorrows doorstop. Therefore I wanted to get an interim PJ that will allow me free up the room's floor space.

The Barco sits in the middle of the room taking up a prime location. This means I can't put down new carpet and for this and other reasons I mentioned earlier the Barco will have to go.

So, Cheap but still good interim PJ??? I have a family member who works for Sony which means I can get a great deal on anything Sony. I don't abuse this but this woruld be one of those times to take advantage.

HS20 is obviously a contender then.......However... AE500 from Price Japan is far cheaper than a staff discount Sony (actually an HS20 on staff discount is not much better than an HS20 pricejapan deal, though has full UK spec & warrantee).

To add to the fun, I have a bar traversing the room that a short throw PJ would be able to sit on, an HS20 won't and will need to be suspended from my 18ft high ceiling:eek:. You can get a short throw lens for the HS20, but Sony UK don't stock them so I'd have to import that myself adding to the cost.

Mark Grant also suggested a S/H D-ILA from the US which I haven't ruled out but I'm worried about noise containment and fixing and anamorphic lens infront of it gives me worries. Also, only 1000hrs bulb life.

So Options are:-

1/ Keep Barco on floor, but try and improve how it looks there. Accept it's intrusion, rick of child damage and lack of X-Box games.

2/ Cheap AE500 Import (Not sure on throw distance as don't fancy this option)

3/ Staff discount Sony HS20 + Imported Lens Plus

4/ Benq PE8700 short throw DLP from Ivojo for £2850(Incl VAT) which isn't THAT much more than the Sony option once I add the Lens to the Sony price. VERY good reviews too.

5/ Import S/H D-ILA from US & Anamorphic Lens & Hush Box.... (SO many things to go wrong or cost more than expected there)

Leaning toward the HS20 still, this is only an interim step for say, 2 years top remember.

Hope this helps explain my uncertainties,

Cheers,

Mark.

Why not try and put some interim bars between (and at 90 degrees to) the existing bars which would then allow you to 'slide' any pj (current and future) along it's length and get the correct throw (Sure Andy at LMP could make up some form of bracket for you).

I still say the HS20 is the one you should go for or an NEC HT1000/1100 which has a shorter throw and better image.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom