1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS20 vs AE700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Venom1969, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Venom1969

Venom1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To people who've at least seen the HS20 and the AE700. Which do you think is better?

I've heard many different accounts on the web especially from avsforums. One person on avs said that he is going to sell his Benq 8700 to get an AE700. Madness!!! Is it really that good??!

An on the flip side, one HS20 owner said that he seen the AE700 and it still suffers from the same problems as the AE500, ie. namely VB. Also the colours were superior on the HS20.

The AE700 is still using D4 panels unlike the up and coming HS51 (or HS50 as it will be known in Europe) which will be using Sonys own panels. This leads me to think about waiting for the HS51. But I'm still very interested to know what people's reactions are having seen both.

2. Nikumba

Nikumba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Projectors are like computers, you cant keep waiting for the next big thing, you have to jump on the bandwagon at some point :)

3. Venom1969

Venom1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on the bandwagon, I have a HS20! :p

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Well, if the owner suffers from rainbows then moving to the AE700 might not be such a bad idea. I'd say it was a backward step but each to their own.
    Paul

5. chilli

chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a demo of both AE700 and Sony HS20. Left the store with HS20, no contest. I couldn't ignore the VB I noticed on the panny, which I had originally intended to buy. The PQ on the Sony makes me wonder why anyone would pay so much more for a plasma.

I have read other comments as well about the Sony, and it seems to put most people off because of the long throw distance.

:beer:

6. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chilli,
    Can you expand on why you thought the HS20 was better than the Panny? Sorry, I've posted another thread in a similar vein to this one. :oops:

I am so tempted by these PJ's but haven't seen the Panny. Reports seem to suggest it is brighter/more vivid than the HS20, so I'd appreciate your views. I have seen a demo of the HS20 against SP5700 and TBH couldn't them apart much. Slightly more depth to the SP image but I doubt I'd notice if it wasn't a back-to-back comparison (SP a bit too pricey at £2200 compared to HS20 at £1526).

Any info appreciated,

Cheers,
    Ed.

P.S. What screen are you using? I don't really want to spend a fortune on a screen, but want something VFM.

7. chilli

chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ed,

to cut and paste from an earlier reply on a diff/similar thread.
    I'm not sure if its fair to compare the two projectors, but the PQ was significantly better on the HS20. We may still have gone for the 700 were it not for the vertical bands that we noticed, particularly on daytime scenes. I have never seen this band effect before, and perhaps was only looking out for it after it was mentioned by people on the forum, but it was certainly present.

I can't really remember if it was that much brighter, I was too distracted by the VB!

That was the main reason, also the picture looked kind of 'grainy' on the panny. And I noticed that on fast-moving scenes, such as fight scenes in gladiator, the picture stayed sharper in the Sony.

These were small points but noticeable to me, a relative novice in the projector world.

As for the screen....I use a wall in the bedroom :blush: I have sanded it with a very fine grit paper, and plan to paint it a very light grey (Icestorm 6) all tips that I have cobbled together from browsing this forum......although this may be a completely useless exercise I don't know.

Either way I am constantly amazed by the PQ i get using the most basic of set-ups (my main source is an all-in-one Sony DAV500 ((old!)) via S-video. I put it all down to what I consider a very good PJ for the money..the HS20.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more professional critique of this pJ, others here will surely be able to.

Hope that helps.

:beer: .