1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hs20 vs AE500 (or AE700) vs Z2 vs TX100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calvinhobbes, Sep 13, 2004.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

I'm in the market for a projector around the £1000-1500 mark, and so far it seems that the clear choices are:
    Sony HS20
    Panasonic AE500 (or possibly the AE700)
    Sanyo Z2
    Hitachi Tx100.

I'd be using it primarily for watching DVDs, as a PC screen and possibly Xbox. The throw will probably be around 10-15 feet.

Must haves (and I think all of the units have them) are HD-compatible, DVI input for PC, component video for DVD and scart for freeview. Low noise is also a factor.

The mag reviews are all over the place on these, and you can never trust them - e.g. users seem to love the Tx100, but it was only rated 4/5.

Your wisdom would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    out of them I would go for the ae700 availible very soon. But it does not have a dvi input only vga and hdmi. But the ae500 does and that would be my choice.

3. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI->HDMI cable for the AE 700 ?

4. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dont know about the Sony but I know the Sanyo and the Hitachi dont have scart.

However you can get scart to componant splitter.

As above I think you can get the DVI to HiDef cable.

I have just bought the Hitachi TX100 and out of the box settings, with the lowest quality input the richness of colour and the great level of black is amazing.

I experienced a Z2 briefly and I have to say I think the colour in the TX100 is much nicer. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sony, but alot of problems with the Panny 500. My budget was just over the £1000 so I went the TX100, as the Sony is close to the £1500 mark which was just to much.

Very happy with TX100 and service and friendliness from Crampton & Moore was great :thumbsup:

5. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Problems ? What problems ? Mine works perfectly and looks beautiful. Those with problems must have had PJ's that fell out the back of Courier Vans or something :rotfl: , but in General the AE300/500's are very reliable Projectors with great value for money. Just look at Calibos' 5000hr AE300 that is still going strong !!!! How many other projectors are able to reach that for the price ? :lesson:

Cheers :smashin:

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76

Where can I buy one of these then? cant find one

7. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  8. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    No problems with my 500 either, so far it has been an excellent purchase. Everyone who has seen it has been amazed with the PQ and black levels.

9. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess SCART is less important if there is a decent pair of component inputs.

The other pros and cons I've heard on the projectors are:
    Panny AE500 - Pros = Good blacks, Cons = Vertical Banding
    Hitachi Tx100 - Pros = Brightness, Cons = Blacks
    Sony HS20 - Pros = Fantastic with HD Cons = Not good with low-def
    Sanyo - Pros = Quiet, Cons = Chickenwire effect

any thoughts?

10. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    the panasonics are reliable with someone getting 5000hours from theres. Hitachi is 1000h isnt it.

11. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Really at the end of the day you cant go wrong with any of them.

Its like a Merc or a BMW and their very similar models just depends which you prefer at the end of the day.

Erm...one major 'pro' to some people of the Hitachi and Sanyo is the lens shifting

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I'd have said that out of all of these the HS20 probably has the best deinterlacer and scaler so bog standard SD will look better on the HS20 than the other ones. In fact I'd say its the best projector out of the lot in all the areas you mention apart from the 56Hz refresh rate with 1:1 pixel mapping.

I would recommend waiting for the AE700 and HS51 to see if they are a huge improvement.

13. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would agree with the above in that the Sony is the best of the bunch, dont forget it was designed to sell for about a grand more than its going for at the mo. I have seen an AE500 vs HS20 comparison and the sony is a superior unit. The picture is much sharper as it has quality scaling built in. Plus the optics are much better sealed preventing long term dust contamination. You can get a DVI to HDMI cable as the video component of DVI and HDMI is essentially the same :thumbsup:

14. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would say:

TX100 - Con - Screen door, Pro - Contrast is not bad, though screen door distracted me too much.

HS20 - Con: 1:1 mapping and 56hz refresh (?), contrast (?), EDID problems (DVI reports incorrect display values to pc).
    Pro - Picture looks great with dvd, DVI and HDMI connectors as well as component, svideo, composite - Could not see screen door.

15. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the 1:1 pixel mapping and 56 hz refresh rate issue on the H20? Is the Sanyo and Panasonic 500/700 better at dealing with these?

Also, with the new Panasonic 700 coming out, is the H20 still better (I know it's not reviewed but the specs seem to be out)?

16. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    get the 700, its looking like the king this year (go read about it over on avsforum, from the people who experienced it at cedia).

ive not seen any vertical banding on either of the ae500s ive had.

I have seen another little problem, but it looks like it was a batch problem.

pez

17. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I've not seen any VB on my 500.

18. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there such a thing as dvi-d and dvi-i cos the micro mart review said there was when it did the review of the hitachi pj-tx100 (6/10).

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    See the link in the FAQ for explanations of various flavours of DVI.

S.

20. coldash

coldash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had reliability problems with the Hitachi, picture is great though, fan is noisy, ignore the 'whisper mode' claim.

21. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,#20 i got rid of my 4800 cos of the noisy fan (amongst other things). so i set my sights on the pjtx100, it will be placed above my head a little forward on the cieling do you think i will still hear the fan.also i will be sitting 4.5m(15ft)from the screen will screen door be visible.

22. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my tx100 for about 4 weeks now. Granted it's still new but I haven't had any problems and am very impressed with the picture. Fan noise isn't significant on mine, very pleased really. I don't think you will have a problem with fan noise and as for screen door at 4.5 meters, no way dude. This pj is such a high resolution you'll never get screen door from 4.5 meters unless your projected image is humungous :clown:

23. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Got to agree with Claude here. I've had mine 3 months and 236hrs now. My TX100 is whisper quiet. It sits about 2 meters from me and I don't notice its presence at all. Picture is fantastic in all but direct sunlight on the screen (even then its watchable). Also the lamp life is actually 2000hrs, which I believe is pretty standard these days and they are only £250 to replace so won't break the bank compared to most.
    I must admit you can see a bit of screen door up to about 3 meters away. But only on large same colour sections, like a football pitch. But its not destracting at all. And I only get this when watching low quality input from a digi box. DVD reproduction is perfect. I never notice screen door when watching DVD's.
    Anyway best of luck with whatever you decide.

24. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to my previous post, I beleive the mag review that gave the tx100 4/5 was 'What Video and Widescreen TV' which made some terrible errors in its facts. They reported the resolution as being 800x600 when it's 1280x720 in 16:9, also the saind the contrast ratio was 1000:1 when it's 1200:1. I reported these errors to Hitachi as I feel this kind of sloppy review writing is unwanted by all and for a mag that charges £3.75 and is generally way out of date they could at least get the basic facts right.

ps. forget the Z2 the TX100 is a superior machine. As for panny well that's a DLP/LCD decision.