1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS20 Stinks

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mjones0, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m getting really concerned about the smell produced by my HS20. It was noticeable from the first time I turned it on, though I ignored it then and just thought it might have been because it was new.

Every time I’ve used projector it has filled the room with a smell that’s a mixture of burning and a solvent like smell that really goes to your head after a while. I’m wondering if there’s some plastic melting inside by the bulb. The smell seems to come entirely from the front left vent when looking at the projector from the front (the one below the Ceneza sticker), which has the bulb behind it.

I was hoping it would stop after a few hours of use but 12 hours on it still produces the same smell. It’s very noticeable if you’re in the room from when the projector is turned on, but if you leave the room and come back in it’s almost overpowering. I’m not sure if it’s purely psychological but I start feeling slightly sick and develop a mild headache after using it for a while.

I don’t really want to send it back, but the smell is very distracting when you’re trying to watch something, rather disconcerting because I’m convinced it’s going to bust into flames, and rather sickening. I think I might give it until 20 hours and if it’s still stinking the place out and getting me high as a kite I might have to look at sending it back for a replacement.

Has anyone else experienced any smells from their Sony projector? Is this likely to stop after a while?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sure it's not just the new 'smellavision' feature they've been talking about for years :D Or maybe 'scratch 'n' sniff'.

Seriously though, I'd give the supplier a ring straight away. Certainly does not sound right. Just don't fall asleep while watching your next movie ;)

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    The Z1 had a strange, mild burning smell when first in use, however, it did go away.

I concur with Messiah and reckon a call to your dealer may be in order.

Other than the smell, how is the picture?

Cap:smashin:

4. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No smell from mine. Must be something wrong.

5. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could open up the lamp area and see if there's any signs of burning/melting in there. Follow the careful lamp replacement instructions.

I would expect some sort of smell from a new device that had that big a heat component but it shouldn't be too toxic or last for long.

Mine should arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know if it's the same thou with my cold I probably won't notice. ;)

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have a new screen I suppose?

:smoke:

7. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not taking a jab at my soon-to-be-pinned-up white sheet I hope Kramer! :D

8. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed a solvent like smell on my new hs10...and wasn't worried.I put it down to the fact that it WAS new.

Anyway the smell has gone now..but I cant tell you at how many hrs.

Never gave me headaches though??:confused:

9. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can’t send it back now. I think I’ve developed an addiction and I start shacking if I’m away from my projector too long. I’d heard people say there’s a lot more depth to the image on the newer projectors but I wasn’t expecting the pictures to take off and fly around the room in funky psychedelic patterns.

Seriously though, I took ailean’s advice and had a look if there was anything burning in the lamp area. I took the bulb out and nothing seemed to be melting. There was no smell coming from the bulb itself, but there was a slight solvent like smell coming from inside the projector. The smell was much less detectable that when the projector is switched on.

I’ll keep using it a bit longer and if it doesn’t go away I’ll have to get it replaced.

Captain Benefit, other than the smell everything is great. Fantastic picture, deep blacks, no vertical banding problems. Good all round apart from the smell.

10. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've just managed to drag myself away from my new HS20, sneaky dudes delivered it a day early and I had to go introduce myself to a new neighbour a couple of doors down! :rolleyes:

Did about 5-6 hours without any noticable smell. Now I have got a cold but I still would have picked up something toxic as the exhaust was about 8 inches behind my head. ;)

It could just be a bit of packaging slipped into a grill some where.

One daft question... would normal component connections carry HD signals or do they just do 480i/p and 575i/p and you need to use DVI/HDMI for 720p etc? (Too zoned out to think about myself, everything is just too small to read now! :D ).

11. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sure do - I have run 480i/p, 576i/p, 720i/p and 1080i through both sets of connections (direct component & via PJ Multi component) on my HS10 and they all work great

No