1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS20 Positioning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mjones0, Jan 4, 2004.

1. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading about the vertical banding on the Z2 and PT-AE500 the HS20 seems like the only choice. After spending the day moving my room around I’ve found a layout were the long throw won’t be a problem.

There’s just one issue remaining before I ordered that I was hoping HS20 or HS10 owners could help me with – could I put the projector upside down on a flat surface? I’ve never seen a HS10 or HS20 but from the pictures the top looks slightly curved, so I thought I best check before I bought it.

The reason I want to do this is because I like my head to be position directly in line with the centre of the screen so I don’t have to strain my neck looking up. I have the projector behind me just above my head so I need the image to be projecting down. With the PT-AE100 the position of the lens roughly lines up with the bottom of the projected image if you have it the right way up. If you turn it upside down the position of the lens lines up with the top of the image and it projects downwards which works out great.

Can I achieve the same thing with a HS20 and will there be any problems putting it upside down?

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem "inverting" the HS20 (& practically all contemporary LCD/DLP PJs).

The top of the projected image will be approximately level with the PJ, just set it for "ceiling" mounting in the options.

I'd suggest keeping the HS20 slightly proud of the shelf using spacers etc. Better still, mount it underneath the shelf.

Best of luck :)

3. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. I've ordered my HS20 so I should get it later in the week.

Unfortunately I can't put it under the shelf because it's glass, so I'll just put some spacers in as you adise.

Thanks again.

4. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you put the HS20 on its back would wobble about on the curved top unless you had a cradle of some kind to stabalize it. If you put it up the right way the plastic pull down tilting stops it being flat, so you would need to make four legs to screw in the four holes underneath and make two shorter to get it to point downwards. I doubt you need this, because it has good vertical keystone. To invert the image you go to the Install Menu and choose from the four image flip options which includes HV, horizontal and vertical.

5. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    looks like im going to have the same trouble with my hs10 that ive just ordered.
    Mjones have you worked out a good way to stabalise it yet.
    I'm still trying to think of stable way.
    Could someone tell me.
    Is the hs10 weight evenly spread or is the front heavier that the rear. If some one could send me some profile pictures of a hs10 i would be indeted.
    I.e front- left- right- bottom- top
    Also could someone tell me if i were to stabalise it with two side bars. (e.g like the gymnastic bars) and one adjustable one for the front, would it stay put or would it be unstable.
    Also what would be included in mounting it under a shelf. how many hole's are they and what config are they in.

Sorry about all the questions
    Dc

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  7. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't really used it yet, but I did try it briefly upside down. The curve in the top isn't really a problem - it doesn't really roll around at all and it also looks fairly flat. I'm going to get a spirit level tomorrow and find out for sure, but at the moment I don't see much of a need to do anything. It seems you can just put it down upside down and you're away.

I'll let you know once I've got the spirit level tomorrow.

8. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other question abotu the HS20/HS10 - I take it you're supposed to take the transparent plastic lens cover off when it's in use?

I never saw any mention of taking it off in the manual, and it seems strange that a lens cover would be totally trasparent so I'm not entirely sure.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, that stays in place. You can remove it if you like but it's designed to remain fitted.

It looks better with it too :)

10. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah thanks. I'm glad I couldn't see how to take it off now.

I've had a play with HS20 tonight and I'm very happy with it indeed. Just need a HDMI DVD player now.

11. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    clancol, I put the HS20 in position upside down today and found that it's completely flat width ways but length ways the back needs raising about 7mm to get it flat. I personally don't think it's worth building a frame. I've got it lying on some felt to and have just packed more felt under it at the back until it was completely level.

I’d only had a brief look it before today and had it projecting on a wall. I put it in place today projecting onto my screen, went through the Avia setup and tried a DVD and I really was astonished. I was originally looking at the Z2 but I’m so glad I paid the extra.

The only thing I’m concerned about it the smell of burning it fills the room with when it’s switched on. It’s not caused by it being the wrong way up because the same smell was produced when I first tried it the right way up. I thought it might just be some dust burning on the inside as happens with a fan heater when it hasn’t been on for a while, but I’m up to 4 hours now and the smell is still coming. How concerned should I be about this?

Hopefully the burning smell will stop after a few more hours, or maybe it could just burst into flames :)

12. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    iv'e decided to buy some door wedges to prop it up and keep it level. My lense will have to be pointing upward a little bit so these should work nicley. let you know how they go