1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS20 or VWHT12

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sneaky, Dec 14, 2003.

1. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am a newbie so please be patient with me.

At present I have a Sony 32" TV, Sony 525 DVD, 4 * Tannoy M3'S, Tannoy MC and a Yamaha 795a Amp.

I was going to change the whole of my system but after having a demonstration at SevenOaks Newcastle of there Sim2 and M&K Speakers which I was looking to buy, I have decided to just get a projector and DVD. The sound on the M & K's with Top End Amp and Processor didn't hold a candle to my sound setup may sound strange but I couldn't believe it either. I wish I had taken the film HEAT with which I could have done true comparison of the delicate sounds of the cigarette being lit, a chicken bone breaking and those bullets hitting the floor outside the bank. Maybe there is something wrong with my ears.

I thought the Sim2 20 was good but I have also seen the HS20 and the Sim2 is not imho £1600 better and in some respects wasn't better at all.

So my question to you guys HS20 or VWHT12 (I WOULD HAVE JUST GOT THE HS20 BUT THE 12 IS ONLY £650 DEARER AT SOME PLACES).

Also will HDMI offer me anything better than the component if I went for the HS20.

The DVD's I am looking at are Denon 2900, Pioneer 868/668.

Thanks for your help.

2. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I think the VWHT12 doesn't have dvi...So,if you wanted to go the digital route via hcpc in the future tha t would be a problem.

Also the hs20 has HDMI faciilitys wheras the VWHT12 does not.

I think what you need to look at here is future proofing,which,with the hs20 yr more or less covered.especialy with the onset of HDTV.

I think that Sony and their agents are trying to sell off there remaining models such as VWHT10, VWHT11 , VWHT12 b4 the HD era realy hits home.

I'd go for the Hs20....IMO :)

review and comparisons here

Note It only just shaded the hs10 in their opinion.

hs20 will be better again.

have fun though...:D

3. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply Vulkan. So you are obviously very happy with your HS10. To be honest I havent seen many that arent apart from the odd niggle.

You mention the short throw lens on your HS10 is that an extra that you had to buy or did it come with it. If you had to buy it, how much was it.

My room is only 11.5' long and I think the HS20 has a reasonably long throw lens, can I ad a short throw lens to it.

I think at 11.5' projector central calculator says that I can have a 5' screen and I would like a screen that is a little bigger.

Thanks once again

4. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,sneaky:p ..yes very happy with the hs10..for now anyway:D

I did have to pay extra for the short throw lens which I imported for the US.Normaly there about a £1000:eek: but it ended up costing me about £550.Well woth it by the way.

As you probebly noted from my home page I.m watching an 8ft screen from 3.5m with no screen door and it is awesome.

Check out these people for the lenses:-Bnotions

:hiya: for now

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From Projector Central's review (link above):

:rotfl:

6. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funnily I noticed that too...I also though the following was telling:-

From the above reveiw also....:)

7. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your time fellas.

One thing I have found since doing my research is that it gets more difficult the more research you do. Too many people get hung up on specifications blah blah and to some people the spec is everything. The one thing that I have learnt is the picture quality is key. When people start looking at specs they seem to get a pre conceived idea of what they should expect and it sometimes isnt right.

My next questions may be a little of thread but I would be pleased if you can make comment.

What is the z2 like in comparison with the HS20. I enjoy watching movies in the dark but some stuff I want the curtains open, will the HS20 be ok with this?

I have no interest in linking a computer up to my kit. I am an IT manager so have enough of computers during my working life.

Will the HDMI port on the HS20 be of any use to me if I buy a pioneer 868 with the HDMI port. Will it give me any better picture quality than the component ports. If component is the one to use I will be buying the Belden cables as advertised by Mark Grant.

Caht soon

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Personal choice, but I think that any ambient light hitting the screen ruins the picture quality - I don't think that the HS20 will be any different to other projectors in this regard.......

As for the PC thing, again personal choice, but if you opt not to use a pc (and many make that choice based on ease of use etc.....) you'll be missing the best performance the projector can give. New crop of DVI equipped dvd players may change that admittedly sweeping statement to some degree, but if you go for the HS20 it's unlikely that a DVI equipped dvd player will send a signal in the HS20's native resoluion - I've seen an expertly set-up HS10 running in 1:1 mode via Radeon, and the result is miles away from the performance that can be obtained from any dvd player.

Digital projectors are exactly that - digital - and it realy shows when you send them their favourite food - 1:1 pixel matched !

Sean G.

Sean G.

9. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ritz,

Are you saying the only way to get the 1:1 is by using the computer. No DVD will do it is that right.

Chris

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

Nope...... there are dvd players on the market which output standard resolutions, and if you have a projector which is the same resolution then you should get a 1:1 pixel match.......... Afaik the Bravo player can have it's firmware updated to deal with particular resolutions....... but you'd have to do some more research yourself into the topic.

I wasn't trying to give you a definitive steer - I have a heavyweight preference for hcpc - I guess my point was that with the res of the HS20 or 12HT (1366x768 or thereabouts) it's unlikely that a dvi equipped dvdplayer will output that resolution................. and the signal is taken at 56hz, just to make it more interesting !

DVD players with DVI output are relatively new beasts, so if you do some searching here you'll find threads with more info.

all the best,

sean G.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I have a similar quandry.
    I intend to look at a domino30 before making a final decision but I strongly suspect I'm going to plump for either an HS20 or a VW12.

I know of at least one place that can demo both( Krish AV in Chiswick).
    I'm too busy at work at the moment to get much else done though.

All things being equal it will likely depend on what my eyes tell me on the day as to whcih unit I actually go for.

Also the fan noise!

12. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO.....the vh12 is an endangered species..

Almost like the DoDo's of Madagascar.....Once Holding a prominant place in the food chain only to be swept aside by the introduction of non-indiginous beasties who had the edge.THE FAILED TO COPE WITH CHANGE.:lesson:

Likewise for all its history and abilitys the vh12 simply cannot cope with the introduction of a whole new breed of competition.

Simply put.....A vh12 with the best dvd players, puting out component ,Svideo or VGA or anything else .......are not going to challenge a similarly spec-ed machine,pumping out 1x1 pixel mapping via digital dvi link..IMHO:smoke:

No point polishing brass on a sinking ship.

:D

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    As I say I'll trust my eyes. ( and ears)
    I will be using it in conjunction with my HTPC so 1:1 pixel map is the goal.

As for DVI : having AB'd dvi vs RGBHV I'd have to say the differences are minimal on most kit. I could tell the slight difference (DVI was sharper) but its not something that will be a factor.

14. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey..mr D.

The best way by a mile.

There can be no better system for deciding, than a head to head.

But I would trust yr eyes cos ...its official the hs20(28db)is quieter than the vh12(30db)..

regards

:)

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    2db is nothing. It'll come down to which one has the most inoffensive pitch probably.

16. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I can confirm that the 2db between the HS20 and the HS10 is a lot more than nothing, though they are most likely to be at the same pitch which is not an irritating one.

bear in mind it is a logarithmic scale and that 3db halves the volume. The HS20 is practically silent, but then I never found the HS10 intrusive once the film is on.

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well all I can say is a 2db difference on my spl meter is no huge difference but thanks for the info.

18. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's assuming the HS10 does run at just 30db ;)

19. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    demo both projectors, just see what you like.

I will point out that the hs20 looks like a toy next to the ht12.

You will notice the build quality of ht12, at the end of the day its up to you.

Darren