HS20 or H56? Advice/opinions......

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by danno37, Mar 17, 2004.

1. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, A sneaky way of making my post seem more interesting, in the hope that the pros on the site can give me some good info.

I have finally short listed my choice of projectors down to either the Optoma H56 or the Sony VPLHS20, based on the reviews etc that I have read here & elsewhere.

Although they are a similar price.

I know they are both different technologies, & dont laugh, but I have never seen either technology in action, let alone either of these two projectors. (& dont have anywhere nearby to see it)

Therefore, I was hoping for a bit of guidance.

I have managed to talk the wife into having projector above the sofa at a viewing distance of 6 metres from the screen & will want to project an image of approx 2.5M wide
    I will be watching a mixture of cable TV & DVDS.

Many thanks in advance for any input

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't think either of those projectors are going to be useful to you as they are, you need a very long-throw lens to produce an image of that size from that distance .. check their specs at somewhere like Ivojo and I'm sure you'll find 3-4m is more like the throw-distance they'll need .. in which case you'll need to have the ceiling mount some way in front of the viewing position.

As for helping you choose, the major problem is whether you or your wife will suffer DLP rainbows, that could make the H56 a non-starter. As for picture quality, the H56 will have a better contrast and so better blacks, the HS20 is far higher resolution meaning possibly clearer images .. I think it's very hard to predict how they compare, 'blind'.

3. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, KraGorn
    The viewing distance is OK (assuming that I am using the calculator correctly)

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, first things first.

I've changed your thread title to something more appropriate ;)

HS20 is indicated as maximum throw of 5.11m for an 8' screen. That's from the lens so probably about 5.3m from centre point of the PJ to screen.

That's the maximum throw you'll be able to manage without using a bigger screen.

The H56 you can check out at projectorcentral etc.

You'll have to demo the Optoma as said - rainbowing might be an issue for you.

:smoke:

5. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for input Kramer,
    You r right to change it of course;)

I am a little confused about the thow thing. I can go up to a 3M wide screen if necessary? does that mean I am safe to use the HS20?

6. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.projectorcentral.com is your friend. ;)

Go there and search for the two projectors, under the details you'll see a throw calc so you can easier mess with the figures.

At 6m your screen would be between 2.8m and 3.4m wide (horz) for a HS20 and 2.5m to 3m for the H56.

If you're in London you must be able to view a projector somewhere, as Kramer says you *must* at least go with the better half and take a look for 30mins at DLP (H56), even a NEC Ht1000 would be simular enough to judge but failing that any >1 year old DLP would help.

Someone nearby on the forums maybe able to offer a demo.

These two are very different beasts, DLP/LCD, 4:3/19:9, XGA/WXGA so seeing some examples of the tech is a bit of a must I'd say, for you to make a good judgement. There can be huge differances in perceptions both physically and mentally so you really need some first hand experience before parting with your cash.

Failing this finding a good dealer that'll let you trial either before final purchase might help.

EDIT:
    Also I'm not sure if the H56 supports HDCP on it's DVI input, if not this may prevent you from getting the best out of future HiDef video/broadcast systems.

On finding a demo, a mate and I were walking thru a Sony Centre at the weekend in a local town, even they had the HS20 on display. :smashin:

PS I'm trying not to be biased here so I should tell you I went for the HS20. ;)

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're right it doesn't, at least not according to this quote from AVS' review of the H56:

8. danno37

danno37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks,

I will do my best to find somewhere to view the two. Although I must say for various reasons that I was already leaning toward the Sony, inc the fact I have always had TVs made by Sony & think they cant be beaten for long term build quility & reliability. (not sure if you guys think that should be relevant) Anyway I appreciate all your advice, & the next time you hear from me will be to pick your brains on my screen queries.

Once everything is up & running, I hope I may be able to give a little feed back to any other newbies, rather then keep sucking the info. :smashin:

9. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you want to check the H56 i maybe able to get hold of a demo unit for you, we have branch in Stevenage if that helps, also we have increased our offer on the H56 now and giving you £200 to spend on anything you like so it's a bit like your going to get the projector at £1999 inc VAT and delivery

What a deal, don't know how i do it!!!

10. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Does that offer extend to people who still have one on order neil?

11. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Docta Teef,

Did you order anything else with this unit

12. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  13. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The offer is for when you place an order for an H56 we now give you £200 towards any other product you wish to buy with the H56 in the same purchase.

We've also done the same on the H30 (£150) and the Infocus 5700 (£200)

14. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    so hows about if i phoned up and said i wanted to buy my cabling with the h56 when it comes?

15. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK no problem, how did you place the order

16. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: