1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hs20 gamma observation

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr.D, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Finally got some time to play about with my HS20 . This is a bit late buit might be useful to some.

This is 1:1 pixel mapped to an HTPC (forget the res but its the weird 1366 one at 56Hz) which is functioning in with RGB black and white point settings rather than 16-235 which would be preferable but it shouldn't matter with regard to examining display gamma in this case).

gamma 3 setting out the box looks to be around 2.2 (with some non-linearity in the RGB channels) ideally without being able to do further grayscale calibration this would be the one to plump for when watching video material.

The other two (gamma1 and gamma2) appear to be 1.8 and 2.0 approx)

Obviously this may vary from unit to unit but there you go.

2. chilli

chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my HS20 for a number of weeks now (first pj) and apart from mounting it on the ceiling I have been using it as it came out of the box.

After reading your post (which left me :confused: to say the least) I am wondering if I need to calibrate the pj, and if so how would I go about doing this?

The video source for the pj is an 'all-in-one' sony dav500, and I am using the s-video connector on the PJ Mutli lead that came with the pj. When I can afford it I intend to buy separates and good leads but until then I am reasonably happy with this setup, although the sound is really weak!

If you could offer any advice, in newbie language, on how I could optimise my pj it would be very much appreciated. I have searched the forums for calibration info but failed to find anything. If calibration is only useful with a HTPC that would also be useful to know.

Thanks.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Firstly you should buy a calibration disc. If you've invested heavily enough in your home cinema to buy a video projector parting with 20quid for a test dvd is notthing.

Digital Video Essentials , Avia , and the original Video Essentials are all useful tools although I personally don't like DVE and prefer the other two ( one will probably suffice ,Avia is probably best for your kit although DVE has the slight advantage of being available in both PAL and NTSC versions)

Go buy one and listen to the explanations and any terminology or theories you don't understand search them up on these forums.