1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS20 component input ghosting problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by steveprior, Sep 10, 2004.

1. steveprior

steveprior
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on avforums eventhough I have been reading your views for some time now. :hiya:

I have just bought a Sony VPL-HS20 after much research, and have been generally disappointed. After getting over the "it's ok to have the panel alignment out by a pixel or two" issue, I now have a problem with the quality of the component signal.
    I am lucky to have my friend's VPL-HS3 to run in parallel, and have recorded the following images:
    (apologies if the files are big, but I didn't want to compromise on the detail...)

Firstly, here is a shot of the HS3 with component input:
    http://www.steveprior.com/hs3componentbig.jpg

Then the HS20 with s-video input:
    http://www.steveprior.com/hs20svideobig.jpg

Then the HS20 with component input:
    http://www.steveprior.com/hs20componentbig.jpg

Notice the awful ghosting??

I have swapped all components about as much as possible, including using both the Keene and JS RGB/YUV converters (I'm in the UK), so I'm reasonably convinced the problem is in the projector itself....
    I've also used the component connections on the back of the projector as well as the multi-cable thing.

Anyone seen this before, and should I just send it back (and hope the next one isn't as bad!!)?
    Thanks for all your help,
    Steve.

2. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Steve, welcome to the Forums. I may be wrong but what you are experiencing is Edge Enhancement. I had the same issue, and used Avia to clean it up a bit. Try lowering the sharpness for a start. Might be an idea to try out on of the setup discs. With the HS20 (in my experience) the likes of Avia made a difference all right, not a huge one, but enough

3. steveprior

steveprior
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I do have Video Essentials.. would this achieve a similar thing to Avia? I had already gone through the video setup with VE, but tbh I was surprised at how variable the settings could be to meet the suggested performance criteria..... contrast could be maximum, for example.
    Sharpness was at minimum, iirc.
    As it happens, I replaced the projector and got exactly the same problem with the replacement.. hmmm.
    I need to SEE someone else's HS20 to prove I'm being too fussy!!

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not wanting to disagree with Vic for the sake of being contrary, but that doesn't look like edge enhancement to me..... EE is a "halo" effect, the picture you posted is a clearly defined ghosting. I'd go back to basics and check that your comoponent lead is well away from any power leads, then try a different source (borrow if you don't have an alternative source with component out) then try a different lead. I'd be much more suspicious of the source/lead/routing than I would be of the projector. I know that my own pj is sensitive to interference in the signal chain, and have come across various image problems which were eventually traced to the signal path, as opposed to the projector. You say you've got the same effect as this on a replacement - do you mean a replacement HS20 or a different projector model ? the dact that you've got it ona replacement points the finger very firmly in the direction of the signal chain.......

Hope you get it sorted,

Sean.

5. steveprior

steveprior
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a BRAVO D2 turning up soon and I'll try component directly rather than through the RGB/YUV box.. maybe that'll help!
    I'm also putting together an HTPC so I should have every opportunity to give the projector a good thrashing :D

6. steveprior

steveprior
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, now my D2 has turned up, plus I have the (NTSC) Xbox component HD cable, so I have a couple of new YUV sources.

Both look BRILLIANT through YUV (and of course DVI for my PC and D2 :D ), so the problem seems to be somewhere between the SCART on my Sky+box&oldDVDplayer and the component-out on the JS RGB2YUV converter I have.
    Would I expect a picture as fuzzy as this with RGB2YUV? Is that where the problem could be??

Help!! Now I have these GREAT pictures with direct component and DVI, I MUST HAVE a decent picture from RGB (especially for Sky!). :lease:

I note this from another thread:
    "As others have said the JS Technology RGB2YUV converters have proven themselves over and over and do a great job with RGB from a Digibox; pretty much every system we supply includes one of John's boxes"

I'm having problems getting a great job done!! (or maybe I'm being a bit fussy?)

This is what a bit of the Sky TV Guide screen looks like:
    http://www.steveprior.com/hs20component2.jpg

Does that look okay??

Thanks for all your help!!