1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS20 and a room

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vicbarry, Jan 12, 2004.

1. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just a quickie...been looking around at throw distances for the HS20....and it goes a little something like this

I am about to purchase the sony from the US and will be celing mounting it in a 10x8 room. Smallish i know, but there is also an ensuite in there which i am using as a rack room. Looking at the throw distances on pjcentral using its projection calculator i should be able to get a dissapointing 66" diagonal image. Is this right. Anyone got a hs20 in a similar sized room...mounted 10ft back from the screen.

I have an option of cutting a piece out of the ensuite wall and getting another 3 feet, but dont think the missus would be too happy at me smashing holes in the wall with a hammer. It was hard enough to convince her to let me have this room.

Appreciate any ideas...

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried the zoom on PJ Calc?

Indicates upto 80" diagonal from 10' throw. Also, are you including the depth of the PJ in your calculations? If your PJ is against the back wall, the lens will be approx 18" nearer the screen :eek: Worst case scenario, throw distance of just 8'6" with maximum screen width of 60".

:smoke:

3. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kramer,

I have a 10' Throw. Which gives me a screen width of between 58" and 69".

What does the Zoom actaully mean.

Chris

4. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try and make a hole in the wall. It could be just big enough so not too ugly. And you will have no fan noise, the HS20 is noisy enough to remind you of itself when the music is off. You need those three extra feet to get the best out of this amazing machine. Some one on AVS said it was the best thing since apple pie, I am still thinking of an equivalent to this for UK. Best thing since ****!

5. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Why not try and get hold of a short-throw lens?

That might increase your screen size without any demolition?

Either that or get a different proector!

6. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have my mind set on the hs20. ive seen the short thrown lens (VPLLCW10) for $429 on bnotions. it would be a lot cheaper to mount it on a shelf behind the wall and have it the lens flush with the edge of the wall. just wondering would something like that pose a problem with ventalation for it.....