1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

HS2 wins over Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have owned a Panasonic E30 for a year now, and have been thrilled with it's performance - still am. I have also looked long and hard at getting Sky+, but have so far resisted due to the infamous £10 sub and concerns over the build quality/reliability of the Sky+ box. I have just spent a week having full use of a Sky+ system whilst on business, and whilst it's very good, I have not been fully convinced that it's the system for me. I have in fact decided against Sky+ and for upgrading to a HDD/DVDR combi. Speaking personaly, I think the HDD/DVDR route offers greater functionality and greater flexibility. I can live with having to manually set the HDD/DVDR timer, certainly on the Panasonic it's really simple. I know that I will also have to do without the twin tuners, but lets face it, with most programmes either repeated or time shifted, one should be able to record most things. The only thing now is, do I buy the HS2, which my local Panny agent informs me will shortly become an end of line model, or do I wait to see what else gets released. By waiting a few months chances are the HS2 will become cheaper anyway.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Sky+ and the HS2 are very different beasts - personally I have them both as they bring different benefits (and allow more storage!). Both are wonderful machines but, that said, if I had to go without one Sky+ or the HS2 I would choose the HS2? Why? Because you can still enjoy 'Timeslip' like features, roughly equivalent recording time (in SP mode) and can still make editted archivings onto DVD-R.

Watch one channel/record another is a good feature but, as you say, there is frequently anything on that isn't repeated later in the week or on one of the +1 channels.

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How's this for a £450 freeview based HS2/Sky+ killer?

Features:
    o 40GB/20hrs upgradeable HD digital recordings
    o Direct programming from 7-day EPG
    o Record 1 freeview program while watching another
    o Record 2 freeview programs simultaneously
    o Watch previous recording while recording another
    o Pause, rewind live tv
    o Dub to RAM/R in RGB quality
    o Watch everything in RGB quality

The catch is that's it's 3 boxes not one - Panny E50 (£227)+ 40GB Humax PVR-8000T (£172) + another freeview box (£50).

I already have an E50 and a freeview box, but adding this little humax thing seems to open up lots of possibilities. You still can't edit from HD to -R, but a RAM PC burner can take care of that, and it would all still cost less than the HS2 on its own!

Are there any flaws in this plan?

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Er... is the Humax unit actually available to buy anywhere yet?

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well look at it like this: you have a nice motor with shiny alloys and big wide low profile tyres - which is Sky. However, you have a puncture and you have to use the metal rimmed space saver or "skinny" i.e. Freeview. Now you would only use the skinny to get you home or to a garage. Well I would only use my Freeview if Sky went terminal, so I think the answer is yes, I have found the flaw.

:D

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Qed-uk are selling them for £172. Miller Brothers are selling them for £200. Don't know about stock, but a few people have got them.

I can't get sky where I live so it's not an option. Even then, Freeview costs nothing, and offers better picture quality than the equivalent sky carried channels.

7. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err sorry mate Freeview runs it's channels at a lower average bitrate than Sky. Therefore SKY definately has the better potential picture quality. It's all down to bandwidth and there is simply oodles of it on satellite which is why there are hundreds of channels. Freeview has limited bandwidth which is why it is limited to 30 channels.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Are you joking!?! Have you seen the BBC/ITV picture quality on Sky compared to Freeview? Freeview blows Sky out the water! Don't get me wrong - I like Sky and it offers great choice but whenever something is on BBC/ITV I record it off Freeview because the Sky picture is absolute rubbish.

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd take a look at your systems then because in my home the reverse is true.

To the original poster: fair enough but surely one of each blows your suggestion anyway!