HS2 timer recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by firetrax, Nov 12, 2003.

1. firetrax

firetrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another question on the HS2.

When it is recording on timer, there is no picture i.e. the screen goes blank. Is this normal and is there a way to view the program whilst recording on timer?

This only applies when recording on timer - I can watch the program whilst recording normally.

My connections are:

Sky TV OUT > HS2 AV2
    HS2 AV1 > TV AV1

All via scarts and set to RGB

Can anyone help on this?

Cheers

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The reason for this is the Sky unit has switched to outputting a composite (video) signal via the TV scart as opposed to RGB. The most likely cause for this is someone using the TV buttons on the Sky handset.

3. firetrax

firetrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Raczak

Its not someone pressing the remote. I did a test run and made the unit record on timer. When the timer record starts, the picture (passed through from the Sky box through the HS2 to the TV) goes blank. As soon as the timer recording finished, the picture returns. Strange !

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he means that the HS2 is not outputting a picture.When in Timer,the HS2 is like Sky+,it records silently without you knowing.If you switch the HS2 on to view,then the timer is not affected and continues recording.Put the HS2 in standby and Sky should be watchable via loopthrough and HS2 continues recording.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our posts crossed.No good there then

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not switched them over,but there is a setting in the connections menu offering different options on the AV1/AV2 settings.Maybe this will sort it.Rasczak??

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Off the top of my end I'm not sure to be honest. I don't do much Timer recording on the HS2 so will need to investigate. I'm away on work at the moment but will go home for the weekend so will look into it then (Saturday).

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just turn the machine on and you can view what you are recording, alternately rig a second scart from the digibox to the tv so you can watch sky that way. You will need to do this anyway if you wish to watch sky whilst recording an analogue channel, as the hs2 will not pass a picture when it is recording, unless set to decoder on the input, and then it will only record from sky, no matter what channel you select.

The black screen with sound recording is something else that happens if you press the tv button on the sky remote, and don't press the sky button again before the recording starts. This is easily done by using the sky remote to change the tv analogue channel or to put the tv in standby. Unfortunately it also switches the digibox to video output, not rgb, and hence no picture on the recording. I had to resort to disabling this button on the remote due to the number of times the recording went wrong, with the kids watching their progs and working the tv with the one remote. Now they have to use the tv remote to alter the tv.

Turning the unit on and off does not affect the recording, indeed I am often watching something pre-recorded when a timer program starts, and the only evidence of this is the on screen dispaly for a few seconds and ythe red recording light coming on.

9. firetrax

firetrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. I do not have an analogue connection so everything comes from the Sky box.

I have tried turning the HS2 while recording on timer and still get a blank screen. Once its finished timer recording, the picture comes back. This only happens on timer recording and not on normal recording.

I could connect a scart from the Sky box to the TV rather but my TV has only 2 Scart sockets and one is connected to the VCR? I was hoping just to watch via the HS2, whether or not I'm timer recording.

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you don't have an analogue source, set the input to decoder.
    This will allow you to watch sky whilst recording whether the machine is on or off, indeed it will not record anything else no matter what channel you put in the timer menu.

The second connection can go via the video to the tv anyway.

My hs2 is set to normal input, and will pass no signal when timer recording when switched of, however, when turned on it promptly displays the program that is recording and displays the time elapsed on the display. If you then press play it will start playing that recording from the beginning, or you can use the program selector menu to pick something already recorded to play.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I have the same problem with my new DMRE100....

AV1 and AV2 set to RGB in/out.

NTL Cable STB set to RGB out and into E100 AV2.

Whilst in Timer mode BEFORE recording starts...NO SIGNAL, BLANK SCREEN.

During Timer recording....Signal but in COMPOSITE!

Back to RGB when Timer recording ends.

Recorded programme is in RGB.

Setting the AV type on the E100 to 'Normal' or 'Decoder' makes no difference.

What is the point of 'Decoder' setting anyway?

What's the difference between a timer recording and a normal recording (which displays in RGB) to cause RGB to be disabled on viewing?

Not a major problem as I can watch NTL in S-Video on an alternate scart and timer recordings will usually be used when I'm not in.