1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS2 sync probs (again)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ged, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,
    after some dodgy E50's I have been bought an HS2 to for Crimbo, chuffed to bits until, sync drifting in and out on the Sky loopthru. The recording seems ok but will need further testing, even the RF output of the internal tuner is\can be well out.It seems that when excess dialogue is present eg Newsnight, the player cannot cope and the audio and video run out.
    This is naffing me off now, does anybody know of a cure, all other threads have mentioned a plasma sync but I do not own one?
    Bottom line..
    Sky>HS2>TV
    dialogue drifting in and out whilst watching Sky thru or the internal tuner.
    Switch off HS2 audio back in sync.
    Not sure which is out but it is noticeable,
    I really do not want to take this back, the store must think I am an anorak,
    Ged

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    If it's the same lip sync bug as has been reported by others who use the HS2 then it won't affect recordings at all (including Timeslip). If you can verify this is correct then at least you know what your dealing with.

Do you have a Panasonic shop near you - by all accounts they can adjust it on the spot?

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got my HS2 I recorded something from MTV whilst watching the same; and the sync was massively out! Playback of the recording was perfect though and it hasn't bothered me...

This is common, then? Is there discussion on this somewhere?

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well at least there is some hope, but why sell units that will have to be brought back?
    My retailer is a local discounter, Sound and Vision in Bolton, great service with the E50 problems, I am sure they will or should have insight to this and so should Panasonic and sort it before shipping.
    Rasczak, please explain this pre reported problem and it's cure, I tend to watch and record due to shift (work) problems and potential archiving.Would it have to go to a Panny store or S&V?
    As ever, grateful for help,
    Ged

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They all do it to some extent, it is the different time it takes to process the audio and visual components in each scene.

Just avoid watching through it live, use time slip and you can be as little as 7 seconds behind with no sync issues.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Ken,
    so can I confirm that you cannot use the HS2 as a tuner, the problem certainly exist on non recorded loopthru or tuner output of the unit.
    If so this is a shame as you cannot watch live, if time slip is in sync and recorded is fine I will leave it but should this happen?
    Whilst using an 890 the only issue was the image processing and delay not mis match.
    Ged

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just done a www search and it seems to be a well known problem, coud do with a cure.
    Never had this with my 890, I may bring out the Ole super sub of DVDR once more......very..disapointed in the whole Panasonic experience...
    I am suprised how well it is supported and dismissive of the other products this forum is, I am a neutral dual format owner and expected a Philips casualty.
    I expected better and have not recieved it,
    Panasonic take note!
    Ged

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although you may have this minor annoyance with the HS2,at least its likely to spend more time in your living room,not the workshop like most Philips recorders.

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You can use the unit as a tuner, just select the channel you want and start recording with the record button. Then play back the recording immediately. You are only 7 seconds behind live with the option to pause etc as you like.

Indeed now I have had mine for nearly a year, I set it up to record all my favourite programs and watch them at a time to suit myself. Indeed it is recording now and I will shortly go down and watch a program that started at 9:00 and enjoy the ability to skip all the ads and watch 60 mins of output in 45 mins

10. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So does this sync problem occur on all HS2 recorders?
    If it is a proccessing problem can a fix ammend this or is it best to leave it and use time slip as suggested?

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The synch problem occurs when looping through the HS2, eg RGB scart from say a Sky box through the HS2 then onto the display, and then only when the machine is switched on. If it's in standby then there's no problem.

12. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    philipb,
    thankyou, I appreciate that but wondered about the fix for the above and it's worth.
    Ged.

13. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can anyone please answer these questions...
    Do all HS2's have the sync problem?
    Is there a fix which works?
    Ged

14. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    THey all have it
    THe sync fix sorts an issue to do with plasma displays.
    THere is not really a fault, if the unit is on it is processing the picture and the sound and sending it to the tv, if one or the other is complicated they can take more time and get out of sync. However the recording is laid down to the HDD correctly and plays back correctly.
    Hence if you can live with being 7 seconds behind live as a minimum in time slip mode there is no issue.

Indeed I can't really think when I would want the unit on and watch tv live. If I want to record a program I do it and edit it of ads later frame perfect, not by using pause.

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I can, when i'm watching the same programme that i'm recording!
    I would have thought this is quite common practice.

Damn! this has put me off buying it now!

Back to the drawing board and another look at the E60 or Philips DVDR80. :rolleyes:

16. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    THe E60 will be the same, and I still can't ubderstand why you would give up such a good unit for 7 seconds away from live?
    Indeed you can then pause to go to the loo, awnser the phone etc and not miss any of the program.

17. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    So I would have to continuously record to the HD for normal viewing and then watch a delayed recording (albeit only 7secs) everytime I'm recording and watching the same channel.

It's the wear and tear of the HD that bothers me.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the 'time slip' feature and am sure it comes in useful. But to use it when you don't need to?

18. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Either have the HS2 in standby so you are watching via RGB passthrough, or connect the VCR scart of your digi-box to the tv (as well as connecting the tv scart to the HS2) and use that to watch sky when you are recording sky or analogue. This means you are watching a composite signal unless your sky box can do something better from its vcr scart.

19. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hmm, that's certainly doable.

I think I can do better as it's set up already....

Actually, it's ntl cable.

Currently I have the ntl RGB out going into a (v2) JS Rgb to S converter where it passes thru to the TV as well as going to my SVHS VCR. I suppose I could watch thru the VCR on AV2 in S-Video rather than composite.
    Now that I could live with whilst recording with the HS2

Thanks bobones, you've started me thinking about purchasing again.
    Now do I wait for the sales?