HS2 @ Richersounds

D

DucatiEVO

Already have one myself but if anyone is looking I see they're having a 'price crash':

Panasonic DMRHS2
Multi Region DVD RECORDER £499.95. That's not a bad price I think.

:smashin:

I bought this yesterday great value and the option to take it back for 50% when you want to upgrade .

Could you tell me your set up please as i seem to be having a few problems .

I have Sky+ already but i thought i could use the extra Hard drive originaly just wanted an E60 but they said they didnt have them anymore .

I have the HS2 = skyplus= TV my tv is the Phillips 9716 and i dont use an arial i just use 1 channel and watch everything through Sky if you get me .

It cant find auto channels i assume because of the way i use sky .

Playback of a DVD is fine just recording im having trouble with .

Im sorry its a rubbish question as im not very clued up on this at all .

any help would be great guys .

The way I set up my HS2 (with freeview).

Put TV out from Sky into AV2 on HS2. Then Av1 from HS2 to TV. Select A2 on HS2 to get the Sky signal and record it. When you switch the HS2 off, the Sky will pass through to the TV.

If Sky has RGB, set the AV1 and AV2 scart scokets to RGB in the recorder setup. Put the Recorder on AV1 of the TV (or other RGB socket).

hello again ive done that all is working and recording fine the only thing is I now have sky on 2 av channels and both seem to do the same thing .i.e if i put a DVD to watch in it plays the DVD on both channels is there a way to have sky on one channel and recordable and if i put a dvd in it will play on the no2 channel ?

i hope that makes sense and again thanks for any help guys .

What AV channels?

I don't have Sky but, it should have just one scart lead going through the recorder to AV1 on the TV.

Have you got two scart leads on the Sky box?

I had a problem like this (I have two scart from my NTL box, one to the HS2 and one direct to the TV, when the hs2 was playing it would override the NTL box. Check what you have the AV2 connection set to on the HS2. I had to set mine to AV2=Encoder (I think, if not let me know and I'll recheck my settings)

You don't need to have a scart lead from the Sky to the TV. You just need to switch to the input on the TV that has the HS2 attached to get Sky.

yes thats it it over rides it . Ill try that

Thanks guys

ive just tried having 1 scart from the HS2 to the TV again its still fine but if i turn on the DVD everything goes off for about 20 seconds then it comes on .

Ive put the AV2 to encoder .
The reason i thought it best to have 2 scarts was so i could play DVDs on 1 channel and have Sky running on another is this not possible ?

I have both connected to the TV so I can dub on the HS2, while watching another channel on NTL.

Originally posted by redwing
yes thats it it over rides it . Ill try that

Thanks guys

ive just tried having 1 scart from the HS2 to the TV again its still fine but if i turn on the DVD everything goes off for about 20 seconds then it comes on .

Mine (bought from Richer Sounds on Wednesday last week) does the same, I believe the whole machine switches off and then reactivates the passthrough.

I'm having a torid time with recording, I'm archiving from Sky onto the HDD (in XP mode) and then onto DVD-R, the quality doesn't seem particularly brilliant but I'll admit I'm still 'testing' at the moment.

I'm having a torid time with recording, I'm archiving from Sky onto the HDD (in XP mode) and then onto DVD-R, the quality doesn't seem particularly brilliant but I'll admit I'm still 'testing' at the moment.
Do you have everything set to RGB? Ensure you have Sky's TV Out socket (the top one) connected to AV2 on the HS2 and then AV1 connected the RGB in on your TV. Ensure you use good quality Scart leads to ensure you get the maximum quality - QED offer a good compromise between cost and quality.

Originally posted by Rasczak
Do you have everything set to RGB? Ensure you have Sky's TV Out socket (the top one) connected to AV2 on the HS2 and then AV1 connected the RGB in on your TV. Ensure you use good quality Scart leads to ensure you get the maximum quality - QED offer a good compromise between cost and quality.

Yup, AV1 and AV2 set to RGB, Sky+ set to RGB as well. I've got two Thor leads between STB/HS2 and the TV.

After further testing I *think* it was because I was recording in SP mode to the HDD and then dubbing to DVD, it seems the double encoding doesn't do much for live action sports. (Superbikes in particular, the edge of the bike and rider was noticeably blurry but the rest of the scene was ok.) I recorded some footage today in XP mode to the HDD and that looks pretty much spot on, I'm going to test record a DVD (in XP and SP) this evening and see how it goes.

Since upgrading from a E50 to a HS2. I have decided to only do films at XP then dub at FR to disc.

With TV series that I record weekly. I am doing them at SP and then dub two at a time to RAM. Then edit and encode them to fit on a DVD with the computer. I am doing four 42 minute programmes onto one DVD.

just a couple of questions just wondering how everyone finds the controller ?
its the most unresponsive controller ive used . I have to press the buttons really hard or 2 or 3 times .

and everytim i have a DVD in the machine and i turn it on the DVD comes on and plays is this always the way ?

thanks any replies just trying to work it all out .

Originally posted by nwgarratt
With TV series that I record weekly. I am doing them at SP and then dub two at a time to RAM. Then edit and encode them to fit on a DVD with the computer. I am doing four 42 minute programmes onto one DVD.

I've done some more fiddling tonight and come to the following conclusion: When recording fast action (I've only tested with Superbike coverage but this seems to produce the worst/best results) I have to record using XP from Sky+ to the HS2 and XP when dubbing to DVD otherwise artifacting is too high for good viewing. This wasn't what I wanted, especially when coverage lasts for up to four hours at a time! :eek:

I'll try taping Eastenders or something equally as tedious tomorrow on your settings and see what it comes out like. :laugh:

One thing I haven't considered is the TV, I'm presuming that as the input to the TV is analogue then it shouldn't make a difference to the display.

Originally posted by redwing
just a couple of questions just wondering how everyone finds the controller ?
its the most unresponsive controller ive used . I have to press the buttons really hard or 2 or 3 times .

and everytim i have a DVD in the machine and i turn it on the DVD comes on and plays is this always the way ?

Seems to be the same with mine although I don't have to press the buttons hard, just make sure the remote is pointing *directly* at the recorder.

Mine also plays a DVD if it's in the drive. Doesn't matter to me too much as I tend to record to the HD first.

My remote is fine. I am used to it. The remote is 98% the same as the E50. I certainly don't have to press the button more than once.

If I turn the recorder off in HDD mode. It starts in that mode when I switch it on. Although, I haven't done it with a commerical DVD, I have had a RAM disc in there.

I am glad it only has 40GB HDD. Any more space and the organisation of the programmes would be hell. I use the protection feature on all recordings that will need to be put onto disc at the right time.

ahh cheers mate may be my remote .

BTW yes that play with DVD only happened with a normal DVD , I just found it annoying but it may just be me now knowing AGAIN lol .

Im so use to Sky+ which is unbelivably simple this is so different .

but im getting the hang just got to find a way to separate it to make them independent of each other if you get me so HS2 doesnt overide .

Thanks for all the help here much appreiciated

I just put a DVD in the HS2 and switched it off and then on. IT does start straight away. It won't happen very often. It is not my main DVD player, it is just for recording and playback of recordings. So, there is little chance of having a DVD in it.

Cheers nwgarratt

Ill have to learn to take them out and stop being so lazy lol

If you are part of the way through a DVD when you take it out, you can use the marker button to bookmark where you are. The recorder will remember this and you can use it when the disc is put back in.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom