HS2 replacement?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wellsi, Feb 17, 2003.

1. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The new recorders from Panasonic (DMR E 50, 60 etc) are due out this month. Someone in this forum mentioned a dmr-E90 with an 80Gb hard drive. Can't find details about this anywhere, and can't see any signs of an HS2 replacement. Other HDD players are coming out with 80 & 120 Gb drives, making the HS2's 40 look a little small.

Anyone know if there's beefier model on the cards?

Cheers,

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I think Toshiba (?) are planning a model with larger HD, but not sure about Panasonic.

3. Falconer

Falconer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    I phoned Panasonic UK today to enquire about the new models of the HS2 type units and they said the E90 will be out in August and it is a 80 gig hard drive. The person I spoke to knew nothing about a 120 gig disk (AVLand show both).

Dick

5. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    So, do we reckon that's a 6 month wait for basically an identical HS2 + extra 40Gb + MP3? (E30 and E50 are hardly quantum leaps from the original E20...)

6. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone else get the feeling that this is all moving a little too slowly?:boring: When DVD players first came out the price quickly crashed, they swamped the market so fast that it was impossible to have any excuse not to buy one if you had a decent tv. I would have thought something as obvious as recordable dvd would have been a no-brainer to the public and the industry.
    With the proliferation of el-cheapo supermarket players and very few households not having less that five titles, why on earth is it taking the industry so long to find it's killer product/price point?
    :(

7. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Absolutely! Japan gets all the top gear and then we have to wait what seems like forever for something similar. Would be interested to know why the long delay.

On a more positive note though, I came across several sites yesterday that mentioned Toshiba will be releasing the RD-XS30 recorder (dvd-ram and 60Gb HDD) in the UK in April. They are expecting to sell 1,000 units in the first month, kinda begs the question why wasn't it released earlier... :confused:

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Toshiba had a picture of the RDX1 on their uk website but said that they were releasing the RDX2 in the text sometime in october.

This page then vanished and their customer services said something would be released in feb 2003 most probably the RDX2.

Well, the rdx3 is now out in japan with several other rdxs models.

Seems like Tshiba are spoilt for choice on what to release so dont release anything as a result. Even the americans got the rdx2.

We europeans do get the raw deal!!!

9. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    In all fairness, I paid £800 for the dmr-E20 1 year ago this month. Now it's retailing in the e50 form for £399, so it's moved pretty fast there.

However, I AM unimpressed that every new Panasonic machine is basically the same as the previous model, with a new model number and a lower price. Admittedly, it's pretty perfect in every way, but I would have thought some nice new features and an actual revamp were in order. And like I said, are we just waiting until August for an HS2 replica with a bigger hard drive?

10. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I'll agree with that one but I still think the joe public is waiting for the retail price to hit £250. What I cant understand is why the manufacturers dont seem to realise that if they flood the market with cheap recorders (im talking £150 - 250) then their format will win the format war and then they can recoup their investmrent by releasing more expencive machines in the longer term. It's exactly the reason that the pc won out over the mac. :lesson:

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When you think about it they are extortionatly priced. There isnt a R&D premium as the technology already existed. Its out and out profiteering on early adopters.

If you look at the componants the current price to a manufactirer

DVD-R/RW recorder £160 retail so say £80
    DVD RAM/-R recorder £200 retail so say £100
    DVD +R recorder £140 so say £70

Add a 80G hard disk at £80 retail so say £40
    (and Im sure these companies get them a lot cheaper)

And these prices have been at this level for a while.

Assuming it costs £200 to make a philips 880 are they saying that it cost £130 for a case with PSU and LEDs and software.

And in the case of the HS2 assuming it costs £400 to make one they are saying it costs £260 for case, LEDS, PSU, PCMCIA slot and software.

I know this is wild conjecture. But im sure its not too far off the mark. They could sell them a lot cheaper, like some one has said, to lay the format war to rest.

12. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    But with (quality) DVD players still around the £200 mark, why would they want to drop the price of the recorders any more? (Not that I'm approving of this though).

A big factor is the media, and that's why we've seen the prices of dvd-r plummet from £5 per disc to 45p per disc in the space of a year, and RAM from £15 per disc to £1.99 per disc.

dvd+r soon caught onto this, and has also seen prices plummet...

What I would like is some real advances in the machines; not just the same models with a different number or casing.

13. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Is this too good to be true? ---- HS2 for £499 from Digitron:

http://www.kingdom88.com/futuretronic/listings/141.html

Anyone heard of them? They're the only ones in that price range all the others on Pricerunner.com are the normal price. Is it price reduction due to new model on the horizon, a mistake or something else, I wonder.

Any thoughts please?

Dick

14. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seems too good to be true. it didn't say it was multi region so im assuming that has some thing to do with it.

15. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Notice 4 is under the 7 on your number pad. Could be a typo as nothing else on the site is that cheap compared to themarket

16. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It was indeed too good to be true.
    Rang the shop at 10am; an answering machine referred me to a mobile phone, which I duly rang (out of curiosityrather than any realistic desire to purchase!).

Was told that website referred to a French model; the last of the stock went out on 1st Feb; he thought a replacement model was coming out in 3 weeks time, but wouldn't be getting any more French models in at that price...

Thus, the order I placed with dvdplayers.co.uk yesterday (for a multiregion model at £834) still stands...!

17. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Thanks for checking, Ian. I was thinking of doing the same today and you've saved me the trouble!

The price you've paid for a multiregion seems to me about the cheapest going.

Much as I [really] want one now, I'm planning to hold out for the new model, but I'll keep checking things with regard to prices of the HS2 and the timescale of the new model and possibly change that plan!

Dick

18. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well, I was in the same boat as you, but as I was offered £400 for my E20 (DV in was important to him), and the next model is more than likely to be an HS2 with extra 40 Gb (I already have 15 RAM discs), I figured why wait!

And now I just want my new toy to be delivered!

19. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Yesterday just aint soon enough in these situations!

In your position with the E20 to sell, I'd have done exactly the same as you.

Dick